Ogilvy

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Lord NiteShade, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

He needs to be removed from Recruit difficulty entirely. He's breeding a subculture of selfish players who go out of their way to find him. He's free exp and a bodyguard. I'm sick of watching pubstars rage quit if someone else gets him, or seeing players going out of their way, so far as abandoning the team during tartarus, just to find Ogilvy.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Agreed. He's supposed to be a bodyguard for the squishies, not training wheels for the inept.
  3. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Agree as well.
    He's supposed to be a bodyguard, but 90% of the time the guy he's "guarding" gets him or themselves killed doing something stupid in recruit.

Maybe we could have a stronger type of mini from the hexes instead of ogilvy. The mini will work like all the other mini marines except he's stronger (maybe with a better gun or something) in recruit.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Everyone knows I have a burning hatred for Oglivy/Ivan, and have from Day One pretty much, for that exact reason. Not to mention the supposed reason he's there "To increase the XP gain of the Medic", is just kinda silly because the increased Squad XP for the Medic more than covers it.

Just a horrible idea that rewards people for being assholes, hurts the team by stealing XP that would normally benefit the group via the Squad XP system/Shared XP/Whateverthehellpeoplecallitnow XP system.

Kill him with Fire. I'm more than happy to have metaphorically put one between his eyes for Recruit Mode.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I like Ogivly/Ivan in the non-recruit modes because they're not much more than supplemental DPS in those instances, and also good character/story building. They're both just extra guns with varying degrees of usefulness. However, "just an extra gun" in Recruit has a MUCH larger impact on the game than it does in the more difficult modes.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Very much agree.

In fact I'd like Auto Turrets disabled in Recruit as well.
    Just holds up the team to go all the way to armory when people should be doing Eggs.

And then those refusing to budge unless you comply and go there.

There needs to be some sort of message (temporary) that tells players that Ogilvy and Armory have been disabled in Recruit mode or people will run there endlessly still and ignore you if you tell them its changed.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Or you could just modify Ogilvy to be someone else? Perhaps just a completely new guy for recruit that, is less powerful in combat; but also gives the players hints?
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

^ Oh snap. I love the idea of some random jackass that follows the players around giving hints!
  9. Mirage
    • Donator

I can't tell if thats sarcasm or not, but I mean give hints to those < a certain amount of XP.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

It's not sarcasm, I truly love it.
  11. Mirage
    • Donator

I'd especially suggest one if the group has the guy with them when they hit mineshaft and if sheep spawn he'll be the only one able to warn them.
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Can he be a smart-mouth too?

"I hate sheep. Knife them to death by pressing D! That'll show the little bastards!"
  13. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Anyone remember Noober from Baldur's Gate? hahahahaha
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I am 100% in favor of a smart-mouthed, hint giving follower in Recruit mode. He should spawn at the first hex at Easy Company start consistently so players don't run off during key moments searching for him.

Give him a Flamethrower and make his first comment something about how Flamethrowers are underrated.

After the download at Epsilon:

"We're gonna get our shit kicked if we stay spread out like this!"
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I spoke with Ability about something like this previously. We've already got the template for helper characters - the three minis at Mining Co. As far as I'm aware, the plan is to name them Bizzo, Kern, and Wotz, and have them engage in various amounts of chatter throughout the game, from hints to dry observation. They're the remains of Sheng's Boys, and will also show up in the Alpha Storyline (although in a reduced role because they're not giving hints to newbies and so forth, but they'll be there).
  16. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

[​IMG]
  17. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Would chatter make sense if one or two of them were dead?

Also them being Sheng's boys would be strange if they survive to BO given how Ability said Sheng and co are BO.
  18. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I like Mirage's idea, and the "hint-giver" should also follow the player with the least xp regardless of class for a variety of reasons.
    1. they'll see the hints easier if it's right next to them.
    2. Whenever the newbie walks away from the group the hint-giver can say "it isn't safe out here, we should get back to the group."
    3. It will help to make up for most of the more experienced players having cp or purposefully whoring kills.
  19. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I didn't confirm Sheng was BO, in case that was misunderstood. It was a hypothetical question in the thread since it was brought up.
  20. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Ah I see, but Deimos saying how Sheng betrayed him with Bergmann would leads to that conclusion too though?