Nydus Worms Rework

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by TuRKeYMaN, May 13, 2012.

1. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

Under construction

Show Spoiler

This a rework for all modes

Why you ask? Because it boring as is and players should have more of an incentive to kill worms. If they don't, they will be severely punished. Right now I see many problems with the current changes to worms so to correct this I propose this rework for the worms mission on all modes.

New Features
    ETA now arrives when worms are killed
    Yay! No more waiting 5 minutes. I propose to end the mission when the worms are dead. I think everyone will agree with this. Makes the game quicker. If you say keep it as it provide a break, I say pause the game.

Worms give a ton of global in-game experience
    This is to make up the in-game experience that players get from the muta wave. (See next point)

Muta wave is now optional
    But optional I mean it's choice if you want the game to end. If teams fail to kill all of the worms, a fuckton of mutas,devs, slashers and Hulks (Suggested by Ghost) spawn to kill the team on the location of the worms (They explode as the sheer number of units coming through them) I'm talking route B Domes Apollo NM spawns. I would prefer it to be an impossible situation for any DPS team to survive. Players at the moment are not punished enough if they do not kill worms. Alpha has the Game over scenario if the Doc escapes. I want this to be the EC ending. *Edit- If one worm remains the spawns won't be as great but still pretty tough. I want to drill home the concept that there are consequences for failing missions. In addition to this; In addition to this;

The dropship will be destroyed if players do not kill all the worms

Another punishment. Boy, now you've stepped in it now. The ship will 'come in hot' in order to pick up the team. As it does it will be ambushed by air units. The ship explodes and the cargo destroyed. This can happen either

A. Offscreen
    B. When it arrives to the Landing zone. It will be ambushed and destroyed. Hell you can give it weapons but it will be overwhelmed. By the odd chance it arrives. It will take damage and evetually die above the marines. I suggest Giving it priority over.

Recruit Mode
    New Features:
    Enemies acutally spawn form the worms...
    nothing worse then making your way back and being cut off by random spawns. Has happened frequently and is unfair IMO.
    No agrons guarding the worms (Niteshade)

Players tend to leave Post-Erebos 1 so to keep the excitement up I propose the following;

Killed Erebos one --> Nydus worms appears and/or Meno appears

- IF worms are killed :
    - Ship arrives and drops off the goodies (flare should still be placed).
    - Spawns stop and no muta/dev wave appears
    - Generator cutscene starts

- If worms are not:
    - Worms start to spawn devs and mutas (like muta wave but with devs)
    - Either the ship arrives and is destroyed by mutas on its way to drop zone
    OR Havnt decided yet
    - Players defend the ship while it drops goodies (like the colonist truck but in one static location).
    - Generator cutscene starts

ISSUES I FORESEE:

-Muta wave gives ALOT of exp, so by killing the worms before the timer runs out, you lose experience.This problem can be solved if the worms grant a bunch of global experience to the marines.

-Dev(ground) + mutas(air) = OP - It's a consequence of inaction. Also NOTD is about finding creative solutions to problems. Hell, people may want to farm it but spawn rates will change to suit Mode and Squad dating.

2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Ship has always been killable by players as far as I know.

It became the way it is (untargetable) because people complained about not being able to get ammo boxes / move away from Mentos Worms because of how big its selection radius was, so that got removed / shrank. I'm pretty sure they didn't add Invulnerability to it, and prior to that change you could Nuke / OSOK / Auto-attack / KMS it.
  3. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

When you say meno still spawns, are you saying that with the addition of the nydus mission, he should always spawn no matter the sr? Or will his appearance still only be in 1650+ sr?
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Removing muta wave may be a tad extreme, since it can actually be quite difficult for the team to handle it in the first place regardless of it giving a lot of xp, it might be a too good incentive in that case.

I prefer adding in only the part where you may not be getting the dropship ammo (actually, make that definitely no dropship ammo) if you didn't kill at least say 3 nydi because a non commando/rec team may have some trouble killing all 4 in time safely.

If you were lazy and didn't kill any nydi or just 1, make Hulks appear with the muta wave. They have higher targeting priority so can actually mess/mix things up a fair bit to punish sedentary players. Not a lot of hulks, but make them spawn close to the team and not overly numerous. Just enough to cause trouble. Give these particular Hulks detector too.
  5. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Worms give a lot of problems in recruit. Players attempt to take them down without sufficient firepower and things go fubar.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I agree in that the spawns during the worm mission currently remain fairly high.

One of my recent pubs, I happened to be commando with nukes but everyone else dedicded to camp out worms. So I went solo to nuke worms which went fine, but the way back was quite deadly. Of course with team support it would have been easier, but nevertheless the 4 minutes did feel 1. a tad short if you don't have a nuker and the worms are spread far apart and 2. spawns during the worms were a bit high and maybe should pick up in the last 30 seconds only (and continue heavier during muta if you didn't kill any)

Addendum: Remove the guard agron for the nydi in recruit. That's just overkill.
  7. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

Oh god....notihng worse then players killing it before it drops ammo. Only enemies can attack the ship, that is what I'm hoping for.

Still +1650 :D

I've added you idea of hulks spawning. They and devs will spawn along with mutas. I don't think making them detectors is a good idea as the spawn will to great for anyone to handle (assuming you left all the worms intact).
    Also each worm needs to add a ton of in-game experience to make up the loss of exp from muta wave.
    The idea is for people not to reach the muta wave as they will just get owned. It's a failure to complete a mission and punish players (See OP, been updated)

Still working on it guys and girls. Got work now unfortunately :( (We need carrier pigeons to deliver mail)
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Since your rework is for all modes, bear in mind that there is a large spawn of slashers from each worm alive after the countdown expires. 20+ slashers from all four worms alive is not unheard of.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I don't think the devourers are needed for recruit mode. There just have detector Hulks.

That's because otherwise the team just camps and the mob rec just puts down escape to cycle with traps and its dead easy.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Hulks inspire more camping than Devourers. As hulks are slow enough that a long approach to a campsite is ideal for taking them out. Devourers however cliffwalk and are fast enough that most campsites don't give that much benefit against them. Other than Fort. Hulks are easy to kite out, but they are just as easy to camp.

As far as Mobcons escaping? Why worry about it. Teach the kids that Escape is more valuable than Cloak. I'm fine with that. And I've seen plenty of Cloaked Marines get trolled by Devourer Banes that I'm not exactly that worried about it.
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Devourers are low priority so unless the newbies manually targets them, they will all die. No devourers appear before then under the rework, so they wouldn't know.

Hulks, you auto target them over other stuff. They require different tactics over mutas (sniper works, but not overly efficient, gpr is useless) so at the very least make people not use gpr without making it so deadly a lesson that they won't give notd another try.
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well we always had Devourers appearing during the Post Erebos Holdouts, even in Newbie Mode. So having the Nydus spawn Devourers now isn't REALLY changing the game that much. We expected them to be able to handle them before. We can expect it now.
  13. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Previously they appeared mainly in isolation and already wreaked quite a lot of havoc on newbie teams.
    Having them now come when the screen is chockful of mutas is just overkill and unrealistic to expect newbies to survive.

You can't balance the game around having 2+ vets around. Balance the noob mode for a team full of noobs.
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

A team full of newbs won't have a high squad rating.
  15. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Nydus appears regardless of squad rating and in a 1537 sr game I was in the other day, they already nearly died completely to muta wave even with me killing both nydi and dying in the process. They finally wiped to ere2.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Then change this. Problem solved.