Implemented NOTD2 Enemies + Q&A

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Well-Known Member

RE: NOTD2 Sneak Peek: The Infested

I don't really remember NOTD:AM as well as I once did, but if I'm remembering correctly, character health was lower, there wasn't a shield mechanic, and zombies hit significantly harder.

As far as rating and shields go, if you plan to make shield hits reduce rating, can I assume that the penalty from a shield hit would be significantly less compared to the penalty from an actual health hit?

Also, wouldn't proper management of shields to control rating loss be considered a skill? Granted, a skill not as important or as difficult to master as just "not getting hit", but a skill nonetheless?
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Yeah, character health got lower as damage, attack speed, and movespeed went up. NOTD:SCII's bonuses are a bit more nebulous and pliable for the sake of attracting more players and making the game somewhat more forgiving to make up for the reduced mobility.

It's being discussed in Black Ops now, and one party is pitching exactly that. The other party (which includes myself) says that shield hits should be 1:1 rather than reduced. I'm not entirely sure how it's going to pan out, so it's on the "wait and see" list.

Sure. I'd just rather put the focus on "not getting hit" rather than "not taking life damage". Kiting is about not getting hit period.
  3. Ginger Gerald

If I remember correctly, characters also had a jump ability to be able to get up and down areas. So they were definitely more mobile. Would it be possible to create a system to allow "trading" between shields and mobility? Allowing players to become more mobile or more heavily shielded depending on the game? Perhaps have a system like the current rating/lives system, so as you get higher rating your shield capacity becomes reduced for increased mobility. The big drawback I see to a such a system however would be the Tech, since he only has 1 shield anyway...

The jig us Kith. I'm secretly that Black Ops member...It's been me all along. Thats actually really cool. If my understanding of ratios is correct, you're saying that a shield hit and a health hit would incur the same rating loss with your suggestion. If that's the case, then it sounds like the only benefit a shield hit would have is the fact that your shields can regenerate. Is that intended?

I agree, however there are times when it's hard to kite efficiently, like when getting chased by a zoombie as an AssMM or equally slow class.

Did I do that quote thing right?
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Now there's an idea that has potential and merit. I'd love to see something akin to that. Technician would come out favorably, but additional movespeed on a giant robot isn't that big of a deal. Alternately, exempt him from the bonus considering that he's in an exosuit meant for utility rather than combat and does not have access to the same modifications that the other combat-equipped classes are.

Hell, we could make it not even require rating. Make it available to all players. Rating increases movespeed, so a higher rating means more leeway with your shield/movespeed shenanigans.

Shields would regenerate faster than hitpoints and would be immune to ailments.

Oh, I'm sure. But slow classes are slow for a reason. MM (or AMM at least) is slow because he's got enormous offensive power vs. bosses. Assault is also slow, but due to his high natural armor. You've just gotta stick with the team and make sure that they protect you better.

Yes you did.
  5. Ginger Gerald

I'm glad you like the idea, maybe someday it'll be a reality. XD Who knows?

That sounds favorable, however a problem I see is newer players. You can tell them not to get hit, but they'll still get hit a bit, and their rating will suffer for it. Until they learn more about the enemies, movement system, and knife kiting, they'll probably take heavy rating losses pretty often.
    Another problem would be FortDemo, mainly the shield regeneration speed and how it would affect his already excellent tanking abilities.
    And what about Apost and the OW stacks you need?

I understand, I'm just saying that there are those times when its hard to not get hit, and its important to keep that in mind.
  6. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Can't kite mutas. They will always hit you at least once (their attack range = knife range), especially if coming over cliffs/around corners. So when on the move/getting over-swarmed, muta's will wreck your hits.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Go make a topic for it. If you want it to happen, put forth the effort. It's your idea, not mine.

People with lower rating do not suffer the huge amount of rating loss that high rating players do for getting hit. Lower rating players have a much higher tolerance for hits.

... How would that be a problem? I reiterate: The durability of shields will not change. The only change that will happen is that shield hits will count towards the hit counter. What we're deciding is how much they will count.

What about them?

I know. Those "BS" moments will be less prevalent in NOTD2. It's unfortunate that they're still present for now, but they are manageable, so I'm not concerned.

Shoot them. Gargoyles are not durable things.
  8. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Will higher variances be mc-able? Like Slasher's and Agron's?
  9. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

No, it's a feedback thread for what is planned for NotD2. Shields and ailments are part of that.

^bottom of page 3, the entirety of page 4 discussed shields
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yes. The only ones that will not be MC-able are the Super Heavies, as they're simply too powerful.

Shooz kinda has a point? The main topic of the thread is the enemies and it kinda veered off topic. Still though, I'm not bothered, so please continue with the questions.
  11. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

Fair enough, what I had been wondering about was to make shields 'less bulky' with out directly impacting the shields themselves was to add a new ailment which I am currently calling shield pierce, which could be afflicted through shielding, that would allow during its duration, say 2 mins, for all ailments to be afflicted through shielding.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

No. Specific enemies (of the other two races) will have various weapons or abilities that will deal bonus damage to shields or remove them entirely or even steal them for their own.
  13. Ginger Gerald

Shooz has a minor point. It's still a discussion of NOTD2 and upcoming parts of it.

I want to know more about the new Infestor. On a scale of 1-10, how hard will it be to track down and kill? It mentions in the description of the new Infestor that it will generate creep after creating a mound, will this creep disappear eventually or spawn super tiny creep tumors and stay until destroyed like it currently does?

(Shooz seems a bit more...unusual than he used to be.)

It appears that several of the mutations inflict ailments like venom or open wound on hit or death. Is this to create more reliance on a dedicated healer? Also, will there be more items or abilities designed to deal with these ailments?

And just for fun, will there be other methods created to deal with short circuit, because of the creation of an enemy that deals SC on hit?
  14. ForeRunner

"It appears that several of the mutations inflict ailments like venom or open wound on hit or death. Is this to create more reliance on a dedicated healer? Also, will there be more items or abilities designed to deal with these ailments?"

With this I seem to recall Kith saying something about wanting more reliance on focusing higher priority targets out of a mass of things...one sec let me see if I can find it

Here we go:

"Mutations also provide a higher emphasis on focused fire, as it's much more important to kill the enemies that explode into Venom further away from you rather than blowing them up on your whole team or to kill the support enemies that are healing or buffing what you're shooting."
  15. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

I was looking around on the wiki for evidence of points I was bringing up and found what I was talking about back on page 4 about the whole shields fiasco:

http://notdstarcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder
    [​IMG]

Feel free to completely ignore this if you have nothing to say about it. Just wanted to throw it out about a previous point made.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Well, compared to the current Infestors? I'd say it's about the same. I mean, now you're only hunting one, but this one leaves behind a trail when it builds little sandcastles, so you've got a better chance of finding it.

It's to promote either focus firing (as ForeRunner helpfully pointed out). Alternately, you could forego focus firing and instead just overwork your Medic.

For right now, the only SC cures that are slated to be available are the Engineer's Repair Beam and the Technician's Surveillance Drone.
  17. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Does restore + sl heal sc?
  18. ForeRunner

no it doesnt help with SC
  19. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Lame. Buff pl0x
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer