NOTD Unit Turn Rates

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Cloning this post into Black Ops. Feel free to discuss here - especially since we started with the turn rate on bosses earlier.

In SC2, most units start with a default 900 turn rate (practically instant). Units like Tartarus and Queen now have had their turn rate down to 60. I've originally set most Marines' turn rate to 350 but it wasn't turning as fast as it should be (intent is max of 0.1 sec delay). Latest patch will have Marine turn rate of 525 (575 for Commando, Rifleman, Pathfinder, Recon). Almost all zombies also had a turn rate adjustment to bring them down closer to the 200-300 level.

How does this impact gameplay?
    - It will slightly be harder to run/kite solo
    - Rewards 'funnelíng' enemies/correct positioning as a team because you waste less time (however small) turning
    - Slightly better visual aesthetics

The intent is for this to be a minor gameplay impact, maybe 2-3% of your total performance (so that there's no material impact to newbies). And it would be something well-organized vet teams would max for.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

A small delay is reasonable and makes things look a little more organic. I don't have a problem with that. The thing that I have a problem with (and what I've voiced my concerns over) is a unit taking three or four inches (in real life measurement) to turn around fully which is what was in place previously. I hope that the update smooths things over, with pubs and vets.
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Agree. Let me know. All patches uploaded now.
  4. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Don't forget to make sure the mini marines that are spawned by the FO are able to turn as fast as the player units.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks.

AP: Can you help to update the turn rate on minis from 350 to 525 as well since you have the map? Else I'll do it next weekend.
  6. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Sure, not an issue, I'm assuming this is all minis (including FO and the Trio at mining camp)?
  7. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

This is to be applied to all minis. Think about it. They're all humans and if all humans are relatively the same. They should turn at the same rate.
  8. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Psiops images, Ogilvy and Ivan too in case those are missed.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

And EC reinforcements, and AC/Sec minis both those at start and the ones near end.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

- Turn speed for all minis increased from 350 to 500.

I've put it at 25 less than player units and it doesn't have a major effect - more for vet teams to optimize usage in advanced games. Let me know if any violent objections.
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Can we increase player turn speed by 15 or so to smooth it out a bit more?
    Also would increase turn speed for lighter zombies and zoombies to 475