NOTD Tutorial Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ramses II, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a permanent dialog box that displays those commands, otherwise there really isn't much of a purpose in having them.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The chat commands are temporary and only for internal testing. Long-term they likely will be dropdown/dialog box based.
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

That makes more sense.

Will there be a re-pick function available?
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Draft NOTD Boot Camp loading screen from Justin. Please let me know if there's any violent objections or feedback by Tuesday night USA time latest.

My inputs to him:
    Looks good. The Boot Camp text texture and jungle foliage looks a little pixelated (less sharp) - only input is to see if there's anything we can do about it. Agree with the overall thinking and really like the nano-suit texture in the background. Please give me until Wednesday to see if there's any further input from the rest of the development team - so you won't have to rework multiple times. Otherwise, we're good to go and I can get the final copy from you next weekend.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Arturia, there won't be a repick function in Training Field - at least not for now. If we complete most of our development priorities and AP has time, we can consider implementing that.
  6. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Kinda missing a military feeling. Looks more like a jungle trip instead of a boot camp to me.
  7. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

Tutorial needs a focusing fire part, where it tells you to ff certain targets. That way people will learn to ff banes or w.e the more dangerous, and higher priority targets.
  8. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

no zombs no banes.

While there could be a basic target fire tutorial, im not sure how usefull that would be using substitutes for the zombies.
  9. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

wow... you really have a lot of problem with this, don't you, lol.
    Yeah, I agree. Something about this should be added. Beastlings are seriously week, but always end up wrecking people because they don't focus them down.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Focus fire training is a good idea but won't be implemented for now:
    - Boot Camp length is now optimal (not too long)
    - Focus fire isn't a core basic mechanic. Players can get through recruit mode fine without it.
  11. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

The control F to focus on your marine is twitchy since HotS (and maybe only for those with HotS). when it first told me to control F just displayed the FPS info, after dodging the airstrikes it worked properly. May be a map side thing may just be a hotkey profile thing, not sure which.

And after the airstrike wave, the objective reverted back to collecting the c2 armor, and doesnt seem to want to work anymore.
  12. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

ctrl+F is exactly focus on marine , while displaying FPS is ctrl+alt+F.
  13. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

for me ctrl shift f focus camera n locks it on my marine.
    [hr]
    Ofc I have a problem with it rmb the numerous acs I did with you. Ppl can't ff for shit -_- . Imo dsm hardest to get to lv 3, b/c of ppl that can't ff for shit. But w.e tutorial only for gearing new players to ec recruit.
  14. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

If you cant tell ppl to A click and must rage about it and insist on a tutorial for it, then you are no better than those players themselves.

Lastly, Alpha is not the only mode to get DSM, Personally I have gotten DSM on all storylines with NM.
  15. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

But ppl just don't click lol, and I'm not really insisting just suggesting. Yeh I know you can get dsm in all storylines with nm, but ac is the most popular. You don't see a lot of ec, sec or surv nm compared to ac nm. Which is sad since ppl just farming the shit out of ac nm. :/
  16. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Not true in the slightest. Too many people end up blatantly disregarding what you say as advice because they think they're better than the other players in game. Put it in the tutorial, and if they don't do it, then we can just call them retarded and know for sure they're just a bad player for not doing what the tutorial (the buildings blocks of how to properly play the game) says to do, as apposed to just being arrogant.
  17. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

It is true in the slightest because those that don't listen end up dying and if they die they should realize the mistake they have done. Also it is not rocket science to explain the concept of A click to a player. Personally, I've explained the concept myself to many that listen. However, its mostly arrogant assholes that think I'm wrong and their always right that end up not listening and causing team wipes. That is fine for the most part because that's part of life.

Also I'm not going to go around calling anyone a bad player or a retard if they play the tutorial and forget a vital aspect from it, you can go ahead and do that, to perpetuate elitism and a house of division. The only type of players that do that are trash and ones don't represent this community afterall.

Remember that it's fine to make mistakes in game because making mistake teaches you to become a better player. As long as one is willing to learn from it and improve.

Lastly, focus fire is not a core element of the game as Ability said. Any real vet would know that the core element of NOTD is team work.
  18. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

There could be a part of the tutorial where by the player must make a choice on which unit to target 1st or else leading to consequence A, B.
    Prioritization is something u learn. No1 in this game walked into a game n actually focused banelings instead of agrons the 1st time. Its really simple, you gonna shoot the bigger things 1st.... Its common sense if you are new to a game. Just like want the car that looks more aero dynamic in a car race or the gun that shoots the furthest-fastest in a snipers game and so on.
    People won't know what exactly to "focus" 1st. "Oh that's bigger ill hit that"
    However this is NOT a core aspect to the game. It helps.. But its not necessary. Plus remember you can't throw too much information to new players. What u expect the tutorial to teach everysingle thing? It's a basic tutorial not a notd graduation program.
    Stop arguging after Ability made a decision and get over it unless u have a valid point.
  19. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Need patch uploaded with final Boot Camp loading screen from Justin. Please also let me know if you have additional feedback on Training Field.
  20. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

There is also the fact that the game features both blindlings and banelings, and that new players are seldom able to grasp the fact that "banelings = damage" and "blindlings = no damage".

This holds true even with the addition of a baneling in the recruit banetrains due to the fact that when the baneling does hit a player, said player is usually blind and had no idea what had hit him/her. The end result is usually that newbies have no idea why "all banelings" sometimes do no damage, and sometimes can nearly kill you.

+0.5 to the focus fire addition to the tutorial though not in such a straight cut manner. This can actually be achieved if the tutorial shows just how dangerous a baneling is

suggesting this be done with a blindling vs baneling difference section which should hit 2 birds with one stone (teach banelings = bad = focus fire) and teach that banes are not blinds

though no need to rush on this.