NOTD Tutorial Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ramses II, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Nixak

Nixak Member

Did another test today. The I got hit by the airstrike when I thought I was clear of it (I was standing north of the airstrike location and the bombs dropped on me still, outside of their target area) After the first air strike hit my I face tanked the rest of them and received venom from it and died.
  2. DryEagle

DryEagle New Member

yea, all of the airstrikes in the game are more of a 'strip' rather than a 'circle' - perhaps a different targeting graphic could be implemented for them anyway
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks - I agree and it's something we would like to do ideally.

Once we iron out the new inventory system on the main map, AP will help to clone the system over to the Tutorial map. This may take 1-2 weeks.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Why not add an one-time +10 Karma boost for completing the tutorial?
  5. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Most likely the bank file will need to be updated again just to store some form of check for whether tutorial is completed or not, otherwise the tutorial map would be used for people to get karma over and over.
  6. Arturia

Pretty sure the entire purpose of the latest bank version was to allow for extra variable storage for things like this, as well as optimize the banks.
  7. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

It is possible, I would need to look and see, because I still don't entirely understand how banks are processed and also I'm very wary of tampering with them, screwing up = bad juju.
  8. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

May I ask, when will the tutorial be accessible to new players?
  9. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Isn't the boot camp map already found on all of the servers under the name 'NOTD Boot Camp'? If the one with Ivax as the last boss is the tutorial you're talking about.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Yes, everyone can play Boot Camp now. It's in Beta. When you access the main NOTD map, there are links in the description to the Boot Camp map (right side in attached image).

When Boot Camp is out of Beta (end-March once all HOTS kinks and patches are stabilized), I will implement a token one-time reward for completing it.
  11. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Or you can add a new one-time medal specifically for completing it.
  12. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Ok, not sure if this is already mentioned in the tutorial but if not, I think a small note (in the form of dialogue) should be added saying that some ailments can stack so one bandage/anti-venom/whatever may not be enough.

Also, on a slightly off-topic note, I finally got around to making a Boot Camp page and a category page for the Boot Camp on the wiki. Feel free to check it out and contribute if you think something needs improving (probably a lot). Don't discuss it on this thread though.

Boot Camp page

Boot Camp category page
  13. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Any more feedback on Boot Camp?

I've also commissioned Justin to help our with Loading Screen artwork for NOTD Boot Camp. He's the artist behind the NOTD logo and most of our media now.
  14. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Did some foundational infrastructure work for Training Field. It'll be a free-play open area for people to test a class with full talents and all items. Classes will be unlocked with rank.
  15. ComradeHX

ComradeHX Well-Known Member

Is it possible to make a place where enemies(of every type) are caged for "simulation" so you can test weapons effectiveness?

Not sure how it would fit into the story(perhaps training camp is actually set in future where they have all those data on different zombie types for simulation).
  16. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

the training camp is supposed to happen at a time at which there are no zombies. Its before the zombie outbreak on apollo which means the best that could be done are robot dummys.
  17. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Indeed. But can be done by giving units same attributes such as "light mechanic" etc so weapon effect still inplace.
  18. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

There won't be any zombies in Training Field. We'll make as many mechanical equivalents as we can.

Some screenshots of how it looks like now. Need input on how you want to control enemy spawn (chat command, dialog box, hexes, waves?).
  19. Arturia

Use Dialog Boxes.

Prepare Practice Dummy Waves:
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F

type of thing, with you selecting which type of wave.
  20. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

- NOTD Boot Camp will now track Boot Camp completion
    - Training Field now open to Alpha testing (it is probably only 10% done)

For training field, there are 4 zones:
    - Starting area
    - Urban combat
    - Trench combat
    - Jungle combat

Have made some simple chat commands for now:
    -s1: 10 Predators
    -s2: 10 Drones
    -s3: 10 Marines
    -s4: 10 Black Ops
    -s5: 10 Flamethrowers
    -s6: 1 IVAX
    -day: Day mode
    -night: Night mode
    -hunt: Activates/deactivates hunt mode. When off, enemies won't pursue you actively.

Please give feedback. If something is not there or not working, it's just not yet made. There's still a lot more work to be done.

More screenshots here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 791&type=1