NOTD Tutorial Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ramses II, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

There have been a lot of suggestions for the upcoming NOTD Tutorial in about as many threads. I thought I'd make a thread for people with suggestions on things to put/not to put in the tutorial so that AP/Ability don't have to sift through the massive forum and try to remember every good idea someone had about the tutorial.

Suggestions (by myself and others):
    - give each section labels and make it so that people can skip around (ex. give them a civilian with a bunch of different rooms to go into with labels on the floor)
    - include a section for gauss, flame, and sniper (and name the instructor for that Arcturus)
    - don't use the dark lighting we normally have for NOTD (but mention at some point that it is usually darker)
    - include notes or videos of "newbie killers" (menoetes, black holes, MEATeorites, shriek, gunship, black ops, stuff that isn't intuitive)
    - basics of each of the 3 starting classes
    - marine actions menu (XQ, XV, XX)
    - equiping/unequiping (how the inventory works)
    - idea of a tank
    - learning/using talents
    - talent trees
    - basic ailments
    - ammo, magazines, ammo boxes (note not to whore items/ammo/ammo boxes)
    - any other guns necessary
    - how armor system works
    - values of different armors
    - weight system
    - knifing/knife kiting
    - stutterstepping
    - avoiding hits
    - using minimap for movement
    - XF movespeed bonus
    - detection/common cloaked/burrowed enemies
    - brief explanation of rating/karma/medals/etc
    - common enemies
    - stuff spawning from corpses
    - stance on hacking/modding/cheating/abusing glitches

Bugs:
    None reported

Fixed Bugs (I think):
    - Flares giving enemy vision
    - IVAX causing ailments
    - IVAX can kill you

Additional Suggestions after testing:
    - Mention that level 3 Saline cures Open Wound
    - Troll spot for IVAX (see Forerunner's replay page 6)
    - Anti-stuck procedure
    - Emphasis on hold fire
    - Impossible to avoid air drone attack
    - Passive and Active talents
    - Tier 2 and 3 talents and unlocking them
    - Link to wiki and forum

Will be updating this post with notes on specific suggestions of things to go over in the tutorial (not story or functionality).
  2. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

I'll just copy my suggestion over from the pub has become hell thread for the sake of compiling

"@AP for the tutorial map a thought is to run them through the basics of each of the 3 starting classes and especially the use of the marine action menu. what Im thinking is start them as a rifleman and go over the basics of picking up equiping and using effectively various weapons/ammo. Then you move them on to an assault and teach them the usage of both armor and medical ideas as well as giving them a sense of what a 'tank' is supposed to do. Then you move them on to the medic and teach them the basics of learning talents using talents and marine actions, and as such can teach them which medic abilities cure what ailements."
  3. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Keep updated first post, easier that way. Also we will not be mentioning things like meno and such, the tutorial will be strictly for mechanics, not game play (Things like invetory, weapons, item usage, skill selection, marine actions, Knife, things of that nature).
  4. Zeriathyr

Zeriathyr Well-Known Member

Equipment
    > Stuff you are equipped with
    > Equipping and dropping stuff
    > Ammo, magazines and ammo boxes (though that might mean everyone rushing to own one)

- Guns
    (suggest use of flamer to destroy a 100 armor structure, mm-rifle to hit long range target)
    - Armor
    - Ammo mods (What stacks, what doesn't work)

Teamwork
    - x,q to see allies on minimap (find teammate Bob!)
    - x,v to apply antivenom (for medics/chems)
    - x,x to apply bandages

Cheating - meet Bob

As for opposition, i suggest leaving it out. Its meant to be a horror survival.
    But, dialogue in game could be put as subtitle instead of on-screen comments?
  5. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

• Weight system
    • Ailments (only what they are and basic ailments, don't do advanced ones like madness, Z Effect etc)
    • Like Zeriathyr suggested: Guns (but only basic ones. Again, I wouldn't put Barrett, HMG etc in. We don't want their brains to explode with all the information they need to take in)
  6. Ramses II
    • Donator

First post updated.

@AP I'll put notes on specific things people say to add, but I'll leave you to figure out how to do so or browse through other peoples' ideas so as not to clutter the first post.
  7. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

-Kiting
    -Avoiding/running away zombies
    -don't face tank
    -Sticking to one side for a class
  8. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Not sure how to phrase this: not have them just right click a place on screen/map.
    X+f to hold fire and walk faster.
    How venom/ow/blind/madness/shortcircuit/cripple effects your character and can heal them.(Note: madness can be skipped)
    Cloaked/burrowed enemies(how to see them)
    Possibly brief explanation rating/karma however I don't find this that important.

Nothing outside recruit should be shown or mentioned.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Story-wise, I'd prefer that the tutorial be based on a holo-sim or something similar that the UGC uses to train marines in an event of an uprising. There have been several mentions of riots and dissent in the past, so we can have the zombies be replaced with unarmed miners and the like. There are many civilian models, along with the Specter Prisoner and Civilian Miner models. We can easily use these to make a believable tutorial and also make it a story-telling device. NOTD2 is supposed to focus more on the Black Ops and their functionalities, so I'd prefer that we hold off on using the Black Ops as our focus as of yet.

Functionality wise, I'd like to see a tutorial that does not require a bank. That is to say, all classes are available to fiddle with. I'd also like to see mentions made of higher difficulty mechanics through subtle hints ("You never know what these guys are capable of/hopped up on, so be sure to keep your distance.") and other things.
  10. Scorpione

Naw. Else then there's nothing to unlock etc. You'd be surprised how much character unlock make ppl want to play this a lot ;). Also classes such as chem expert require vet supervision. :)
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'd much rather players be allowed to play a practice round with the later classes so they can practice the skills on their own rather than do it in public and get shamed for not knowing what they're doing. I'd also prefer they be able to preview the classes so they know what they do ahead of time.

NOTD:AM did this with Boot Camp Mode. There is nothing wrong with allowing the players a peek at future rewards.
  12. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

I really like kithrix idea of fighting unarmed miners, just due to the similarities between the zombies and an unarmed, or maybe melee weapon armed miner. Of course the occasional armed ranged miner can be festeds.

I disagree with earning xp, but in reality its not the main focus of a bootcamp.
  13. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The NOTD Tutorial map will be called 'Operation Prometheus' - after the work that Bergmann does in releasing the virus via Compliance Matrix on Apollo. Details in story and Apollo Conspiracy fan fiction (pretty much canon).

It will be a single player map with up to 3 observer slots. The setting is a few weeks before the events in the main game. The Black Ops are being trained to prepare for Operation Prometheus - the virus will be released and the UGC will 'rescue' the colony and reassert decisive control from the rebels. They'll learn how to deal with zombies and be briefed on mission parameters by Major Nardelli (CO for this operation). Setting will be in Area 51, North America (USA doesn't exist anymore in NOTD's timeline).

The tutorial will focus on training NOTD mechanics (UI, talent tree, movement/evasion techniques, ailments, weapons and inventory system and some others listed in the suggestions).

What the NOTD Tutorial isn't:
    - A class showcase (none of the playable classes will be in the NOTD tutorial)
    - An open playground (it's going to be a bit more scripted and be run like a training)

Rationale:
    - We'll be advancing the backstory in this and fleshing out more narrative
    - Want to keep the players engaged in both story and game mechanics (not keen on an in-your-face tutorial mode)
    - Give something for the current player base to also enjoy

Kithrixx has voiced some objections earlier (in this thread and in our group WhatsApp) and I hear him but this is something I'm going to give a shot at. It doesn't sound intuitive to do it this way and I don't think any SC2 Arcade Tutorial has done it this way before. Nothing is final or set in stone but this is the general direction I'll be heading at with the NOTD Tutorial for now.

Ramses: Thanks for the initiative of starting this thread. Yes, you can update the 1st post with all the information we've collected.
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

All due respect sir, I think that's the wrong idea. I'm going to leave it at that, however, as I expect kith has given more reasons than I could and I don't want you to have to waste your time arguing with every single person on the forums who disagrees with you.
    [hr]
    First post updated. Please look through the first post before making suggestions so as not to have repeats and overlap.
  15. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

Different enemy types (at least basic ones) like zombie, hulks, agrons, stalkers and ghouls and mention some of their abilities. also show em that ghouls might rise from dead zombies.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I have to agree with Ozy. I think a Tutorial that does not feature the actual playable classes is a step in the wrong direction. However, that's all I'm going to say on the matter for now - I will hold my other concerns until the tutorial is finished.
  17. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

I agree with abillity here, the classes arent whats important. Everyone that has ever seen a rpg can get used to that quickly without any introduction. The other stuff is whats new and to much at first.
  18. Nixak

Nixak Member

Something I think should be in the tutorial is informing new players that they will be banned if they modify their bank files to get more exp, weapon mods, credits, ext. That is something that is very important to the whole NOTD community and new players should learn that as soon as possible.
  19. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Surprised Extifer didn't come up with this suggestion first :D

Anyway, +1 to this.
  20. Scorpione

This is in the TOS that everyone accepts when signing up to blizz and when they update it. Not being allowed to mod banksetc applies to every map, template etcetc. Plus since when isn't cheating punished? :p It would be more of a waste of space. Some may even think "oh you can cheat?!"