NOTD Tutorial Map for Patch 1.5 (StarCraft Arcade)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, May 11, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I need to build a tutorial map for next patch. Need your feedback.

Right now, current thinking is for it to be very sandbox like those FPS training. Maybe like the SC2 Challenge map that Blizzard made - Beginner, Intermediate, Hard.

Format:
    - Demonstrate an event (e.g. 5 Marines kiting Tartarus)
    - Making the player play the event (re-create with live control)
    - Timer/Score to track effectiveness

Terrain can be in a UGC Forward Operating Base somewhere so it can be on Earth setup (jungle/dessert). It will be a very small size map (maybe 64x64) maybe. It's something people have been asking for, and the next patch makes this an important feature so it's good timing.

Current Idea of Scenarios:
    1. Using Medkit/Bandage
    2. Using Ammo/Reloading
    3. Switching Weapons for different enemies
    4. Boss fight
    5. Evading parasites
    6. Knifing
    7. Rescuing civilians
    8. Using the UI (Talents/Medals/Stats)
    9. Focus Fire (banelings in mob rush)
    10. Attacking from behind/backstab
    11. Kiting
    12. Ammo conservation

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than 2 weeks to get the basic setup running.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Except at Step Zero I'd have: Looting and Inventory Management.

Because one of the most common questions that come up is "Where do I get ammo?" "Boxes on the ground." "What do they look like?" Hopefully I'm playing a NoobCon and can just LD and say "I put a red marker on an example of what you want to find".

I'd also replace Number 5: Evading Parasites, with "Medic Qualifications" and cover ailments and how to remove them.

Number 10 I wouldn't consider THAT important. Other than Recons it only comes up for Tartar Sauce and Zeus/Leto. So it's not so important it needs to be covered necessarily. Instead of Banelings in Focus Fire, I'd use Hulks or Agrons teamed with Infested marines. That scenario comes up much more often and conveys the same lesson, and Infested Marines are more likely not to be recognized as a serious threat by newbies than Banelings.
  3. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Hm, an issue with what I'm assuming you're using as the story for the tutorial (it's UCG troop training at a base camp on earth) is that you wouldn't have zombies. Not exactly sure how to deal with this however, if you want the tutorial to actually mesh with the storyline you would have to either use something other than zombies or have it be a new training procedure designed after the apollo outbreak to train marines to deal with possible alien attacks in the future? It would probably be a lot easier to keep it separate from the storyline.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

It could be the facility in Cuba. Not that John Anderton said something about seeing the same sort of stuff in a base in Cuba.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Arc, would need your help on the lore for this. Location-wise, I'm fine for it to be in Cuba or a former African-state (Reaper's backstory). The boot camp doesn't necessarily need to have zombies so I'm fine either way.

The training map would also be a good place to establish a lot on UGC lore, military culture and current events since it's not a 'live' map. If well thought out, it could expand to be a pretty good NOTD intro map rather than just boot camp.

Timeline, I'd like it to be around 2101 - making it 2 years before the Apollo event. That could give some time for characters to grow and to build some context on how things are changing over time.

Would also need some ideas on map name that ideally ties in with the lore. 'NOTD Boot Camp' is a bit dry.
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

It's entirely possible that (If you don't use Banelings), you can substitute Mech units for Zombies in the training. Particularly some of the AI Drone type things like Field Probes substituting for melee zombies. Maybe Y1-Bots, previous models of the X1 that don't fire on the move for ranged zombies. This preserves the feeling that it's before the shit hits the fan on the moon (And provides a sense of continuity to players as they go from Tutorial to playing a Rifleman in NOTD).

Far as a name... NOTD: Before the Horror?
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Moving this to NOTD Discussion. Impacts newbies a lot.
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Tutorial on the fact that items are crates and can be picked up and that there's an inventory submenu. Also dropping mags and stacking items when inventory is full and dropping items when it is full (ie can drop mags directly onto floor when full rather than click drop and then continue xcing
  9. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Tentatively this map will support up to 4 players (1 live trainee, 3 spectators/coaches). Will do some planning for a few weeks before working on this.

Was originally mulling the idea of making this into a multi-mode map (PvP, simulations, etc) but I feel it distracts from the core focus of being a training map for new players. Want to focus this map on:
    - Primary: Newbie training tool
    - Secondary: Setting the universe/backstory
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Considering that people will find this map through NOTD, and that it should be sans Dead, I wouldn't call it Night of the Dead anything. UGC Combat Simulator or something along that line would be more fitting.
  11. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

would this be a separate custom map? i'm still confused about how it would be integrated into the regular notd, if that's what it's going to do.
  12. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Yea. It could be named anything really - like how Prometheus was named after the ship. What I understand is that the Tutorial map will be part of our main map splash/intro page in Arcade.

Random Ideas
    - NOTD: Fresh Blood
    - Cuban Cargo Crisis (Cuban Missile Crisis anyone?)
    - The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday (probably won't work as a map title)
    - First Contact
    - UGC Combat Simulator (from Blaqk)
    - Prometheus (troll)
    - Newbies on the Deck (NOTD - troll)

CHENZ: It's technically a separate map.
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

If you name it this, let me write the dialogue.
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I like either Newbies on the Deck or UGC Combat Simulator.
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Newb of the Dead
    Night of the Newb
  16. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Just throwing ideas around.

Could make it a training camp for the B.O. that will be assigned to assault EC/Alpha/Apollo and work as Bergmann/Gunjan/Tanaka's watchers/overseers.
    (Don't need to specifically state that it's the BO camp)

Place is headed by Nardelli.

Near the end, a civ spots the training camp, team is told to wipe out the town.

Civs + Dogs (Layote cerb returns) = Melee (simulate zombies/ghouls)
    Local security = Ranged(simulate infested marines)

Could probably have a mini boss fight somewhere there.
    Agrons are a native species on this moon right? Could have one run on a rampage from one of the shipments on the town (intended to be transported to a zoo/turned into display).
  17. LftHnddSczrs

LftHnddSczrs Member

Is this project still alive? Tonight a new player in the public lobby said he liked this game but he just needed to get it down better and needed help. What I thought he meant was he had about 150 xp but had not won a game and he needed help with the mechanics and when to use what gun, but he was brand new except for one or two fail games. When we got into the game, he needed very basic help like use right-click to move without firing or he could a click and he would move until he spotted an enemy. i didnt want to just say keep up and press xq when youre lost, so i literally led him around the map(by the way the x, or marine actions menu, concept is very confusing to noobies). don't get me wrong, he had the potential to be a NOTD player, but it was really hard to convey to him everything i needed to tell him and kill all the zombies at the same time, while the rest of the group was off at wherever we were supposed to be already. Meanwhile, I couldn't hit my reloads or concentrate on the actual missions or even really use my skills because of all the typing. All the noobies really need is a little bit of practice with the hotkeys and a general rundown of what to do. I think the tutorial is really important because it will make things a little bit easier on the players that try to help the noobs and on the noobs themselves, which will make the average pub more successful and fun, leading to more veteran players playing pubs and demonstrating how to play well (hopefully), leading to more improved play by new players through emulation, leading back to more successful and fun pubs.
  18. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

Isnt there a section in the map where you can play in a different mode? Also I remember seeing a tutorial mode? I remember seeing other maps has this, that way you still keep the same map name and rating associated with it.
  19. LftHnddSczrs

LftHnddSczrs Member

I know Kobold tribes has this, and it works really well. It is just a dropdown menu in the game's page. Anyway, I would be willing to work on this project if there is anything I can do.
  20. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

a separate "training map" seems like a bad idea to me. Why not just add a training mode like survival mode which does all this, removes the unnatural features in the map and teaches you how to shoot, run, knife, and fight something like seth.

You can teach knifing skills by creating a crazy civilian with high life who moves faster than you making it necessary to knife them to avoid getting hit.