NOTD TeamSpeak Server

Discussion in 'Online Operations' started by MissHumpz, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

[​IMG]
    - NOTD TeamSpeak -
    Hello everyone! I've got some exciting news for you all!

The NOTD community is moving to TeamSpeak 3 as their chosen Voice Chat program in anticipation for the launch of NOTD 2!

We're very excited about TeamSpeak as it offers a lot more opportunities to us rather than the Mumble server we were using. We will be shutting down our Mumble server on the 31st of March 2014, after which point it will no longer be in use and we encourage all of the community to download TeamSpeak 3 (which is free) and join the movement!

You can find the NOTD TeamSpeak information required to connect right here!

Server Address: notd.teamspeak3.com:4889
    Nickname: [insert appropriate name here]

When using the NOTD TeamSpeak server, please remember these basic rules:
    • Respect Yourself.
    • Respect Others.
    • Respect the NOTD Community.
    Any violators will be banned by Administrators and bans from the NOTD forums and game will also be reflected on the NOTD TeamSpeak. Our job is to keep it a harassment-free zone so you can enjoy your gameplay with others.

I highly recommend you read the FAQ I have put together for you lovely lil zombie slayers. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post them below or contact me on NOTD TeamSpeak channel.

- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) -
    1) Why TeamSpeak 3?
    As I have previously mentioned TeamSpeak 3 has more to offer than Mumble. Other than improved technical support and connections, TeamSpeak 3 has exciting additional add-ons that can be downloaded, as well as my personal favourite, unique icons next to your name to represent your achievements in NOTD. For example, Tournament Winners, Clan Members, NOTD exp ranks and Donators will all receive their icons in TeamSpeak.

2) Where do I download TeamSpeak 3?
    There are multiple links you can find on the interwebz to find it if this one doesn't work for you, however the link I have provided caters for a lot of different platforms. Link provided:
    http://teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

3) I am having issues downloading TeamSpeak 3. What do?
    The TeamSpeak website have put together a FAQ of common issues that may be of use to you, link provided: https://support.teamspeakusa.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/10/english

Lord NiteShade has also put together a step-by-step guide of how to download and connect to the NOTD TeamSpeak.
    http://notdstarcraft.com/threads/teamspeak-installation-guide.2215/

4) How do I connect to the NOTD TeamSpeak server?
    There's two simple ways you can go about connecting to the NOTD TeamSpeak channel.

a) Once downloaded open up TeamSpeak 3, click 'Connections', click 'Connect', fill in the following information below to the appropriate place, then hit 'Connect'.
    Server Address: notd.teamspeak3.com:4889
    Password: notd
    Nickname: [insert appropriate name here]

b) Open up TeamSpeak 3, click on 'Bookmarks', click 'Manage Bookmarks', add a server and fill in the provided information if you haven't done so already, you can either click 'okay' or right click on the server and hit 'Connect'.

5) What do I do once I connect to NOTD TeamSpeak server?
    Well my excited reader, when you connect to our NOTD TeamSpeak server for the first time, you should contact either myself, or any other Administrators (Administrators will be recognizable with a purple A icon) present on the TeamSpeak at the time, and inform them of your NOTD rank and whether you’re in a clan, a donator or tournament winner. Obviously, we'll have to verify it, but it'll be taken care of as soon as possible.

6) Is TeamSpeak just for PC users only?
    NOPE! Oh isn't technology great these days.
    I've provided a link below that explains how to use TeamSpeak 3 on iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.
    http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=tutorials&type=client#ts3_tutorial_4

7) Where can I donate to support NOTD TeamSpeak?
    We have a paypal set up for donations for NOTD, link provided:
    http://notdstarcraft.com/donate.htm

All donations will be used to maintain our glorious machine that is NOTD and its assets.

8) What should I name my account?
    We would hope that players use a name that is the same or similar to their Forum or SC2 account names. Players may still choose a brand new name if they wish to, but we request you add your profile description to your TeamSpeak profile description for easy identification.

9) I am Clan Leader. What do get?
    Recognized clans within the NOTD community may contact Administrators on the NOTD TeamSpeak server for private Clan channels. Clan leaders will also receive permissions to edit and move people within their clan channels.

10) Who are the TeamSpeak staff?
    TeamSpeak splits to NOTD staff in several categories. Not all of them have equal powers and should be addressed as such. Staff can easily by identified color coded icons and sever tags.

Administrators
    Highest rank of staff within the TeamSpeak. In charge of most/all maintenance and clerical work. Administrators have the highest executive authority and handle the construction and improvement of the TeamSpeak. Contact Admins with concerns, suggestions, and other TeamSpeak related issues.
    • Blaqk, MissHumpz & NiteShade
    Developers
    Night of the Dead staff who actively work on updating the map and creating NOTD2. They have access to most administrative privileges on TeamSpeak but are not to be bothered unless absolutely necessary.
    • Ability, ArcanePariah, Commlink, Kithrixx & Sym
    Moderators
    Mid-ranking TeamSpeak members in charge of the day to day upkeep of the server. Mods can edit and assign user groups and some permissions but cannot create or edit channels. Their other main duty is the handling of punishments, including bans and kicks.
    • Deadalus, Extifer, MysteryGuy, VickHead & Yuey.
    Wardens
    Community officers in charge of reporting and administering punishment to hackers. Their position on the TeamSpeak is not that of a Moderator and they are not to be addressed as such. Their primary duty lies on the Forum and their TeamSpeak title is more for identification. While Warden's TS privileges are minimal in nature they should still be treated with respect as they are trusted members of the community.
    • Extifer, Nicarco, & Yuey.

Thank you to the community for supporting both the NOTD game and its assets. I hope to see the community get more involved with each other on TeamSpeak and feel free to use the resources available to them.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Rainbow Sticker x 1
  2. MysteryGuy

MysteryGuy TeamSpeak Moderator

MissHumpz, I would like to apply for a moderator position.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

Why we no stick to one group chat (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ
    • Cake in the face! Cake in the face! x 1
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Because Humpz really likes to create channels. They do mostly serve a purpose.

The Dropzone is the default gateway channel. So this is where new players and log on accounts go when they sign in. Its got unlimited capacity but not really intended to serve as a chat, since people will bounce in at random. Its more of a sorting room where people migrate to more relevant groups.

The Lounge is intended to be the main large channel for general group discussion. Its got an unlimited player cap and no special permissions.

The Party Night channel mostly serves as the designated lobby for weekend events, but it does currently function as a large back up channel as well.

The Humpz's shack and Watering Hole are excess baggage and I may honestly remove them shortly (much to Humpz's dismay).

Lastly this leaves the Gentlemen's Club. Call it a social experiment if you will. I will not have sexual discussion on the forum or teamspeak general chats, because its not appropriate and a grey area that makes itself to open for abuse or heavy moderation. So, to ease my fears and give the community an outlet to discuss tits, ass, and dicks, Humpz has created the Gentlemen's Club. It will be moderated by select members and require password entry (like some kind of perverse club house). While I have reservations about how well it will go, LilMissHumpz has assured me if it gets out of hand she'll handle it.

So thats the synopsis. Yes, there are a lot of channels, and yes, we may end up removing several. But most serve a function (even if its a poor one) so its not worth deleting them just yet. I also expect an upscale in traffic as the NOTD2 alpha gets into full swing, so we may need those lobbies in the coming months.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

19 people were online earlier. That's a number Mumble hasn't seen in a long time. I think 17 was the most we had on an especially large Party Night.
  6. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

I will burn you NiteShade
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  7. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

Team speak has nice inbuilt search feature for public open domain servers, Alot of traffic may come form people just searching for night of the dead in future.
  8. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I love you too Humpz.

Anyways. Players please make note that the NOTD TeamSpeak is still in a state of fluctuation. Humpz, Blaqk, and myself have almost no prior knowledge with the system and Commlink, helpful as he may be, cannot and should not be acting as an admin regularly. I know there are still issues to be pounded out, including some issues with permissions. Currently there also is an issue with how clans give out privileges and I'll likely be redesigning how clans are set up over the course of the weekend. I apologize to the members of the currently registered clans and ask for their understanding during this transition period.

This weekend will also serve as a trial run of sorts for the user group and channel settings. In theory everything should be set up to provide a safe and well maintained environment for our users. But in practice we must remember there could still be issues. We ask all members to report issues to an admin or development member so we can rectify the situation immediately.

A few other articles of business. A reminder that Blaqk will be ending support of our Mumble server on April 1st (not a joke) and any users who still haven't ported over will be left high and dry. In addition Blaqk is working on TeamSpeak integration for the forums, similar to our Mumble widget. I don't have a timeline on when that will be ready but know that its in the pipeline.

Last article of importance, ending on a fun note. If you have an icon you wish to use on TeamSpeak, we can easily add it to the server for you. This means clans can have unique icons, and we even take user suggestions. It's a minor detail but I like to think the community likes the improved customization on TS3. If you have an icon you'd like to see use, contact an admin. TS3 uses .png images as its preferred filetype, although jpg and others should still work. Any images are to be 16x16, and we cannot upscale smaller ones or crop/shrink larger ones. I'd also like to add that badges on TS are to be limited in nature. Let's try to keep users at a maximum or 5-6 badges. Any more and it begins to look ridiculous. Its a teamspeak server, not a North Korean military tribunal. Also note that trivial server groups will be removed to clear way for more official ones, such as staff position, current rank, clan icon, etc. Humpz likes to manage this so contact her first with any concerns.

Last thing I promise. I'd like to thank the community for how smooth this transition seems to be going. It already feels like support of TeamSpeak is higher than it was for Mumble. I only expect this to go up as NOTD2 moves into full swing later this spring. I thank you all for your patience and understanding during this transitional time, and ask you to please continue as we stress test the server and iron out issues. The community team has had a long and difficult week and its nice to see some things run smoothly. From myself and the rest of the community team we thank you all and look forward to happily working and playing alongside each other in the coming months.

All TeamSpeak related comments, including suggestions, bug reports, and complaints, can be directed here. After a week or so as an announcement we can move this thread to Online Operations as a sticky and proceed from there.
    • Butt Butt x 1
  9. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

Hate to say this but:
    <13:34:00> "Lazy Sloth": --------------------<22:33:36> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_needed_complain_power)
    some ppl tried to file a complaint about being moved around without their consent and only got this message. Everyone should be able to file a complaint otherwise you cant find out if anyone is doing a shitty job/abusing powers/abusing bugs or is just annoying ppl in gerneral.

Maybe add a Teamspeak bug section for stufflike this, since more insufficient permissions or stuff might show up. That way ppl have a place to report broken groups or the like :)

Also can't poke ppl in adminchannel. tried it on commlink yesterday to notifiy him about sth. Not sure if private messages work needs to be tested.
  10. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Hold up I'll go fucking fix it.

Edit: Should be fixed now.

Guests can complain about anyone. Guests can also poke up to Moderator levels. Mods can then Poke Admins. Why? Because when you poke someone it tabs them out of the game, and I don't want to be bugged over trivial things (which will happen). Thats what mods are/will be for. Anything super relevant can just go up the chain.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Butt Butt x 1
  11. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

We won't be allowing the Developing team to be 'poked' as it can be spammed and it is a bit on the obnoxious side.
    Poking Admins and Moderators should work for everyone else tho.
    However private messaging works perfectly no matter who it is or which channel they are in.

Complaints should work now for every user.
    Complaints can be viewed by Mods and Admins only.
    • I'll drink to that! I'll drink to that! x 1
    • Rainbow Sticker Rainbow Sticker x 1
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

It's fixed. You can message an admin at any time, but there are restrictions on pokes to prevent assholery.
  13. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I lied, it was fixed in the sense that it worked for Guests. But applying those stupid icons Humpz made counts as a server group, which removes you from the Guest registry, which means you now fall under that groups permissions. So, not only did we need to fix guest, we also had to fix every stupid icon, since Humpz wont let me delete them.
    • Butt Butt x 2
  14. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

They are extremely adorable and you're just too lazy to fix them properly.
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Well its fixed now dear. And we made a template, so we never have to mess with it again. Probably.
    • Butt Butt x 1
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Just a reminder: The Mumble service has been terminated.
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  17. Deadalus
    • Donator

Deadalus New Member

TS 3 last I used (early 2000's) was not as secure as its predecessor TS 2. Since then I read its had a program overhaul and the interface changed.

Looking forward to seeing it work well with NOTD/NOTD 2...(if not there is always TS 2 :D)
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  18. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Alright, April Fool's Day is coming to a close and I'm honestly dissappointed how few of you realized it. I've reset the server groups back to their original names so there should be no more admin spam. You can stop sending me your terrified PMs now.
  19. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

did you miss the theard made for it =P
  20. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Attention.

We are currently experiencing TeamSpeak issues with our host provider and the server is down. I'm working to resolve the issues, but it may take a while since its 3am in the US. Hopefully the situation will be resolved shortly. Until all you can really do is wait.