NOTD Suggestions

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ramses II, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

If its so bloody important that someone thinks that it HAS to be done, make it a main objective. Cause clearly its not a bonus, or optional, if its going to be a deciding factor in the game.
  2. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

I do like the idea of this new medal. However, I am surprised no one's realized how exploitable this is. Vets can easily alternate between deleting banks to help friends farm this medal...making it pointless to have in the first place. Unless of course blizzard implements the server side bank file system. Until then I do not suggest adding this medal anytime soon.
  3. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Speed is optional itself. There was a time speed wasn't even possible. Speed is a bonus, making the coms mission a bonus. :p You could write in brackets next to mission(Required for speed bonus) or something.
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Good point. Agree with Klobber.
  5. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

With the way most games are played, Speed is quite common. Because people have developed effective and time efficient strategies to successfully beat each story line now. And how is doing an additional 'optional' mission, which is just going to make you sacrifice more time, therefore finish later, going to award you for being speedy?

Idk if its just me, but in order to get speed, you should be sacrificing credits or xp or something, instead of more time.
  6. Scorpione

The problem was that most ec/ac games took 1hr-1hr-15mins. Coms mission adds 200seconds for dl. Possibly an additional 5-10minutes depending on pathing. So with good strats you'd still be on par. Speed was too easy and didn't require much effort in those modes.

Edit: You're sacrificing time to get a time bonus that gives you xp/credit bonus. Doesn't make sense. However there's no other way exactly. Anything you'd add would sacrifice time. Sacrificing xp/credits to gain them negates the concept. If average ac/ec nm games took 1hr 20minutes coms wouldn't have been implemented.
  7. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Im on humpz side on this. Its named speed, which would mean you do the main objectives as fast as you can to achieve it. By adding comms it is a mix of speed and a full objective run. If speed is to easy to get you reduce the time untill its at the point you want it, instead of adding stuff that has nothing to do with it to prolong the game.
  8. Scorpione

Side missions in most games aren't directly related to Main mission itself. However usually they are related to the whole campaign. Example a game such as fallout, sc2 wol hidden mission, bunch of other games. What it means is that speed is an optional bonus.
    To get this bonus you have to do the following ____ . Complete mission in under 5minutes with all side objectives. Like achievements/series of challenges to unlock X etc.

I'm not sure why it's in both EC/AC and I don't know the story behind coms to be honest. Make it a main objective so people know you "have to do it" But you don't have to complete the game. Just required for speed which is a bonus. It was suggested for all side mission to be completed. But chemleak is.... call it a death trap.
    Main reason for it was that side missions were ignored. Completely. Hence speed bonus awarded x20times the coms xp + coin. In order to increase mode difficulty, speed timer and side missions being done, coms tower was added a requirement which has solved all 3 problems.
    http://www.notdstarcraft.com/forum/show ... p?tid=1197
    After the bug fix on coms tower ac nm speed on avg should increase to 1:16-1:24 per game. Instead of the current 1:03 1:15.(note this is based on 2200-2400rating team.)
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Not really? I mean, yeah, they COULD farm it, but what's the issue? People are going to farm a medal no matter what we do, every now and then we have someone who wants NM Bronze points. At least then it's a team effort, and you have to convince X amount of dudes to kill their banks to get it done in the first place.

If you're that worried about it, we can limit how many times someone can be "trained" and tie the medal points to number of people trained rather than number of games won while training.
    [hr]
    Comms was implemented as a speed requirement because of how people were farming speed. It's an interim measure that hasn't been removed yet because Speed's timers are still high. Removal of Comms from Speed will make Speed's timing get much tighter, and while it'd make sense to do it now, the general consensus has been to wait until the Recon Rework is done to fiddle with speed and side missions and all that business.
  10. Klobber

Well I assumed the whole point of the medal was to encourage the community to help new players with this medal. I was just pointing out that this would not be the case. As far as convincing people, it is relative to the people as you say but again it defeats the purpose of why the medal would be put into place to begin with if such a thing were to happen, creating an exploit scenario. I'm sure you guys want to limit the amount of exploits possible in your game. Personally I wouldn't mind an easy extra 2 stat points.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

It is the whole point of the medal. And it can be exploited, yes, assuming we do it in such a way that we allow an exploit to exist.

However, it's easy to record which players have and have not been "taught", meaning that a small band of vets cannot farm the medal to completion.
  12. Klobber

In this case, I think it's a great idea to have an extra medal.
  13. Nore

Nore Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I think we're missing out on a great point here.

First off. I heard we have ANOTHER map of NOTD mainly for Training new players. Why do we have to change the main map when we could just implement a new medal via there? Boot Camp Medal / Leadership Medal. Boot Camp Medals awarded to the new players that DO the boot camp, and Leadership Medals given to the (Insert # of Exp needed, 5k for IE) people participating in there to help them out.
    The Tutorial map is basically left COMPLETELY forgotten. Why is that? Isn't that wasting our Programmer's time considering it's not even used?

And may I get more answers to the post I've made on Page 126 about the Silver Star Medal? I'd like more input please.
  14. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Maybe you should play the boot camp atleast once before commenting about it?
  15. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

^this

Not only that, playing with pros gives a whole different experience then going through a tutorial. This medal rewards the pros for playing with the noobs.
  16. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

There has been one thing that has bothered me for many years now: Units spawning from cooked, burnt-to-the-crisp zombies, hulks, and infested marines killed by flame throwers.

It's a physical impossibility and flies in the face of the whole "Kill it with fire!" ethos. It just makes no sense to me. Any possibility of flame throwers killing vanilla zombies, hulks, and infested marines outright instead of them magically spawning ghouls?
  17. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Well-Known Member

It is an entirely different experience. Which worries me in some ways. I've been pubbing a lot recently, and about 8 times out of 10 I'm the only one over 5k. In most of the games, if I'm not the one leading and teaching the new guys what to do and how to do them, nobody is.

The Boot Camp actually informs the players of how to do things, and does it in increments. Most of the high XP or rating players don't really tell them much of anything unless they need or want something from them.

I think a leadership medal is a wonderful idea, and should be implemented as soon as possible. To make sure the recruits are actually being taught though, a decent number of them should have to survive, 3-4 sounds right in my mind.

This is being discussed.
  18. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

I'm glad you feel the same Kenno. I've already brought this up in Black Ops suggestions. As well as including that if zombies die from ailments, then the ghouls that spawn from them should have at least a chance of also possessing that ailment. I don't understand how they can just magically heal themselves from what killed them in the first place, so realistically they should still possess it.
  19. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

bring back old silver star.
    bring back sniglet.
    make speed bonus actually relevant to the time it takes you to win.

The ghouls are attracted to the corpse on the ground and do not actually spawn from them.
  20. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

According to my memory and the Wiki they do:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.