NOTD Map Updates

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

We're proposing to reduce the frequency of public changes from an almost daily basis to a weekly update (maybe every Sunday evening SEA time). In addition, we will also make a public test map under a code name for vets in NA server to test (NA because we have the largest population there and SEA vets can hop onto NA too). This public test map will be updated with the usual fast pace.

Benefits
    - Less download occasions for the general public
    - More polished releases to the general public
    - Better bug testing in a volunteer environment

What do you think? Do you think this would be helpful to people? Also, are you willing to join the test map regularly?
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Potential downsides I see is that some bugs for the general public are left unfixed for extended periods of time and that you have fewer people testing a map version at any given time.
    You would also end up with yet another usergroup to manage for the private testing.

While yes some glaring bugs may never be seen by the public, there is no guarantee the private test will pick them up especially if they affect recruit mode, basic vet or certain class/ skill combos; meaning the public is then exposed to a full week of critical bug possibly - unless you end up uploading a new public version midweek in which case you arguably might as well stay with the status quo.

Lastly in this day and age just about everyone has highspeed internet so a 5 meg map download is hardly felt.
    Most players tend to also like seeing more updates as it shows greater committment and effort on part of devs

And yeah I guess as EU I ought to feel left out too :p
  3. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Personally, I prefer DotA's style of updates. After significant changes have been made and tested by a small group of trusted and capable players, release a refined version for the general public. This shows quality effort has been put in, and gripes about kinks that occur due to lack of testing can be lessened, thus improving player experience.

For instance, the recent bank file change has caused some problems amongst players. Had there been such a test group that tested it out, the overall player experience would have been better. First time/newish players won't get the fright of their lives when they see their data wiped out.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

For stuff like banks I would agree but for gameplay changes it doesn't matter.

Also for DotA the issue is bigger as in WC3 each time you update the map everyone needs to make sure they play the new version. It is not like SC2 where you are automatically updated and always play the correct version. That's why in WC3 you end up with countless versions of the same map by different people floating about.

Furthermore, DotA is PvP competitive with leagues etc while NOTD is PvE non-competitive, so having any bug has much less of an impact.
    Take for example a bug where class X deals 20% more damage than usual. In NOTD this might be a tiny bit OP but generally not that much of a game changer.
    In a PvP like DotA, that is a huge issue as everyone races to play that class to kill other people and farm stats.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Any other feedback?
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

The Private Testing method sounds like a nice method, but I would inquire that you put in a command to do Public Game Style, i.e. <500 EXP mode as well, with said command requiring consensus of 4 players in the Testing Game. I would request that it has Saving etc. is disabled, but also, any limits are also disabled.

In short, a testing environment that won't influence you in Normal NOTD, but allows you to test everything. Since its existence shouldn't be disclosed, there isn't a need for you to make a special bank that prevents it from auto-kicking you, though, it still wouldn't be a bad idea to have, if it gets implemented the way I said I.

I think the idea of a private testing before major updates is a good idea though. Prevents stuff like the P1 3x talent points and whatnot. Just as long as it doesn't save anything.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Seems like a lot of effort for very little game. Having a Private Test map is a good idea. But reserve it only for major changes instead of combing for bugs and every little update that gets done now. So just have it pop up for changes like new bank file systems, or final release of the Chem Trooper.

Since the game is PvE, major "imbalances", like the 36 talent point bug, generally don't really hurt the game. Sure, it can make for some lulzy newbie mode games. But it's not something that really ruins people's experiences. Minor little bugs that appear, like we all know of, also not something that really breaks the game.

If the goal is just slowing down the pace of your work. Then so be it. Some minor glitch can be dealt with for a few days with no major drawbacks. Long as people know it'll be quashed soon I can't really see the drawback.
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks for the thoughts. Will keep only the major updates for private testing atm. Big things I see are:
    - Any future bank upgrades
    - Fundamental UI changes
    - Fundamental inventory system changes

For new classes, Survival is a safe testing ground.