NOTD Item Crates

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Are they clear and visible to newbies? Do they need a new model, color, size? If yes, which do you recommend. Ideally no moving objects (e.g. Medkits) to optimize map draw.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

No, they are not very visible to new players, and I lobbied to change this in the past but remember the answer to be along the lines of "They are supposed to be difficult to find so you are not spoon fed".

As noted in the Black Ops section some weeks ago, I think crates for different types of items need to look different and same item types should not have different crate types.

Magazines in the darker shaded levels are sometimes difficult to spot, as are the little grey crates of mods and flares. Larger grey and dark grey mod packets are also somtimes not very visible. Orange and blue crates are easy to spot on the other hand.

3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Maybe color Magazines an orange tint rather than the current black?
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Hm I'm not sure how that would look like. Visual examples would be great :)
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

The biggest problem I see is the item crates are also used as random visual fodder as well. Even in the Easy Company LZ, you have a Gauss Rifle and Pistol, and about 12 other random "Not an item" crates that visually look exactly like them. Because of that they're likely to think random weapon crates they find are just that, random crates which serve no purpose other than decorative.
  6. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

I think the bigger issue is items falling inside doodads ex. the dead Hades 1 corpse, domes, colonist ship, etc. This is what makes them hard to find. You have to scroll your cursor over everything just to make sure you didn’t miss an item.

The only items really necessary for campaign completion are typically special armors. The rest is helpful but unnecessary. I would say this is a lower priority for game improvement than other issues.
  7. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

+1
  8. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Just put a magazine by the gate at the start of EC. By Epsilon they'll have seen all they need to see in terms of item crates.

But yeah, the crates need to have a set model for the type of item. I've even noticed they change model when you pick them up and drop them.
  9. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Have updated the tint of Magazines crates to Orange - since they were dark black and hardest to see. The glow effect around crates next would be ideal - or will just increase their overall brightness.

Agree on reducing any similarities with the doodad crates to minimize confusion for new players.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Any feedback on the updated Magazine crate colors? Is it an improvement.
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Yes I think its greatam now just to make item type crate outlines unique :)
  12. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

What I like about the color change is I can now instantly tell if an item is ammo or not
  13. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Yeah but everytime I see magazine, I kept thinking "Score! A gold nugget! Right in my sight! I'm going to be rich!"
  14. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

for noobs some l4d quotes:" ammo HERE!!" "kits here"
  15. butcher

butcher New Member

this does help abi. cant wait to see the more new ones
  16. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

i expect pink in the future
  17. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Have you considered using something similar to the red warning boxes to make important crates show up better? Warning boxes show through doodads, so that would at least mitigate that problem.
  18. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

+1

would help in recruit mode
  19. CooL

CooL Member

lol.. +1 pink for stinger & l3 xD