NOTD - Heart of the Swarm Upgrade (1 Jul 2013)

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

We will convert to HOTS on 1 Jul 2013. Please let me know if any violent objections. AP will also do some research on the conversion process to ensure we don't face any unexpected surprises (e.g. triggers or abilities breaking, game crashing, units missing models).

Blizzard has also made it possible for people to play HOTS content as long as you party with someone with HOTS:
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/10145834

Rationale for timing:
    - 4 months since HOTS release. This gives enough buffer time for people to upgrade. There's no hard sales figures on HOTS, but my sense is at least 80% of StarCraft II players have upgraded
    - With the new introduction of 'Spawning' by Blizzard, NOTD is technically accessible by everyone (just not in all conditions - without HOTS you can't join a pub NOTD game alone).
    - There's useful content in HOTS (models, sound, abilities and terrain) that we can use. It's meaningful enough to give the developers more tools to polish NOTD.

EDIT: 1st Post Updated. Original opening below.

2. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

So in essence strand the players who don't upgrade, back on a no longer patched map?
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Just a question.

Would the fact that NOTD was featured, and consequently, became available on Starter Edition, have any impact on this?
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Mirage: Yes
    Arturia: It will still need HOTS once we use HOTS assets.
  5. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

If this is to move forward and to start potential development for NOTD 2, then it is fine by me.

Most users are from NA and to be honest all the expansion cost really is 40 bucks, so its not much really.

We are a small production team and a relatively small community, so we have to keep moving forward and do what is best for the future of NOTD.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I am totally okay with this, but I have to admit I wasn't expecting to use HOTS assets for NOTD. I guess I'll be getting my Warhound Technician after all.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Fuck that, figure a way to get the goddamn tempest in.

Or good lord, the evil you could do with viper/swarm host.

Or widow mines, also good...
  8. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Alexei "Bob" Stukov
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

If we're going to include Stukov in any capacity, I would use his soundset for the Squad Leader and not much else.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

I think Deimos can be replaced with Stukov since it's a campaign hero we can use from HOTS model that represents an infested terran.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Deimos is fine.
  12. Mirage
    • Donator

I noticed in HOTS campaign there was more data displayed right on unit's names and such, was wondering if for HOTS we could have an option to move the ammo indicator above your chars head perhaps?
  13. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

I could examine the UI files to see how Blizzard did that. I wouldn't put ammo indicators over unit heads, probably be distracting and harder to keep track of, while timing reloads.
  14. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

I noticed that players with Wings of Liberty could gain access to the Heart of the Swarm Starter Edition through the Gameplay Menu Option. And most of HotS content came in with the major update that was done with WoL.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

When we do eventually get around to this, I have preliminary model suggestions:
    Change Agron model from Ultralisk to Ravasaur (or Tyrannozor - just not Brakk, I have plans for that model)
    Change Zeus and Leto model from Ultralisk to Ultralisk (Noxious) and Ultralisk (Torrasque)
    Change Dr. Gunjan and Cronus model from Infested Colonist to Infested Stukov

I have no real intention to use Stukov in NOTD2, so I don't mind him being used here. Besides, all things considered, I think it's a perfect fit.
  16. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Agreed, the Stukov model is like the perfect expression of an infested... err infected human. Plus I like his voice, just sounds... I dunno, the Russian + the attitude compared to him in Broodwar was a nice change, albeit creepy.
  17. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Any other inputs?

Moving this to NOTD Discussion.
  18. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Not sure if I can post it on here but
    Maybe make swarm host as Meno's model? Swarm Host with couple small scaled worms on its Comb thing.

Warhound as Devastator's model, just make it little bit wider

Field Nexus's model Widow Mine bigger scale with some attachments such as science vessel, radar dish thing, or something

Engie's X1, enemy X1s, or both with Eradicator/sentrybot model
  19. Zeriathyr

Zeriathyr Well-Known Member

Give Zeus and Leto burrowed charge (joking).

Why not keep an old version of NOTD around for players without HOTS then?

- Change Eos to the Broodmother model in the campaign story
    (with 2 infestor pulsating bodies for tail extension and a burrowed Swarm Host for a tail)

- Leaping banelings, splitting banelings

- Give some boss the ability to split in 2! or 3! Maybe Tartar

- MOAR CLASSES
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Technician is being changed to Warhound.
    The SenryBot/Eradicator is the same model as the base X-1. The only difference is that the X-1 is using the ARES Rocket Morph rather than the Cannon/Flamethrower morph. Literally nothing would change.
    Field Nexus being changed to Widow Mine is fine by me.
    Eos being changed to "Huge Swarm Queen" is also fine by me.

There will not be any new classes for NOTD, and I doubt there will be any new enemies either. In terms of enemies, NOTD will be upgraded with better enemy AI and better wave composition.

New classes for NOTD2 are a "maybe", whereas new enemies for NOTD2 are a "definite".