NOTD Game Time and Speed Bonus Review

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

In the past (late 2011 - mid 2012), the average NOTD game time was about 75-90 minutes for completion. The speed bonus was set at 3600 game time seconds then (about 50 minutes real life time). The speed bonus was designed to stretch teams to perform at 110% capacity - requiring more micro, making trade offs in recon/missions and better team coordination.

Today, the average NOTD game time is about 45-60 minutes for completion. This is partly because players are better and mainly because we've redesigned to improve gameplay flow and incentivize faster games. We've hit our goal here in getting the average game time to where we want it to be. All this while, the speed bonus time has remain unchanged. We've heard from some players that getting speed bonus has been relatively easier in the past few months - even in pubs.

With that, the speed bonus time will likely need to be brought down a bit from the current 3600 game time seconds. I'm proposing a 10% reduction to 3,240 game time seconds (about 45 minutes real life time). Any violent objections?
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think ideally we want a different speed cap by stoyline and difficulty.

EC Recruit we win often by 1:10 (and a few times earlier) these days as opposed to 1:20 in the past. Part of it however is due to high xp players being in the game and driving it forward rather than the time required going down significantly. Note that back in the day people were lower on XP and there were no weapon mods and the like.

I would say reduce EC recruit speed to 1:15 to make it attainable by low teams as well.

For EC NM, the current limit is already very difficult to attain even with splitting and 1:25 is adequate. As an example, the other day we split for Ere2 already with 6 people fighting him, 1 guy going Comms and 1 guy going lab. And the guy going lab rushed to mines to kill Seth which the rest of the team started in the meantime. Barely made it to fort alive as first dome was B and already spawning mutas. We won at 1:21 or so with Queen spawning at Mine. If she had spawned at MB we probably would have missed speed.

For Alpha, being efficient in a high xp team we manage to beat it generally by 1:18-1:20. I can't really see us being any more efficient than that as we already move and split to get to objectives as far as possible. I would thus feel it should remain as is.
    Rarely people play Alpha vet so I can't really comment on that. HP on stuff is lower but the distances that need to be covered are the same so I don't think there's a big difference.

For Sec, the current time limit is also adequate, now that MM OSOK vs Hades and other bosses has been brought in line. From my joining the Sec runs, they usually finished by 1:17-1:18 because Hades died in 2-3 mins.

As more changes are made, this may be revised again, but that's how I think the limits are currently.
  3. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

I'd like to see the current class reworks done first and then about a week of info gathering before we make that step. As we've said before in chat and been told by kith. Classes are going to set the balance for each story line. We should be building off of that. Once we see how the classes are performing in each of the story lines, we'll be able to modify the speed time bonus accordingly.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Considering I'd like to see Hades beefed up in such a way that his fight(s) are real slobber knockers and not just 8 guys beating the crap out of an elderly gent with baseball bats, I'd say by Ghost's numbers Security Team is also fairly on track. Once Hades gets buffed and we find a good way to drag out the fight a little longer, make it more interesting and difficult it should be right where you want it.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks for the inputs - we can come back to this for most storylines later. I'm proposing adjusting the Speed Bonus time for EC Recruit (close to 50% of total NOTD games played) down by 10%.

The remaining class reworks (FO, Technician, Rifleman) don't have a major impact to how EC Recruit is played. The Rifleman rework isn't really a major damage rebalancing and more design driven (it won't drastically change a Rifleman's team contribution). Is there anyone who feels strongly that Speed Bonus for EC Recruit shouldn't go down?
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

That's fine. I understand now why you'd do that. It'll give people more incentive to level and reach that goal in all difficulties and story-lines.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I'm all for it, everyone knows I don't like how easy Speed is.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

While I'm thinking about it, Easy Company Nitemare Mode Speed. Should the screws be tightened on it? I know it's typically a pretty close call if you get speed or not, in part due to random variable spawn points on Eos and Erebos. But if players could go right from Mine Site, to Starport, to Elly/Tartar Sauce, it'd probably cut down a good 10 minute chunk of time compared to the standard route.

It'd also be harder as they're not hitting level 7-9 depending on class by the time they hit that first boss.

It seems to be a place where time could comfortably be cut from Easy Company Nightmare Speed. And would fit your stated goal of forcing them to go 110% instead of taking the easier, safer routes to guarantee speed.

So it might be that you can cut 5 or so minutes off the Easy Company Nightmare Speed timer. Which should make a lot of the more cautious and acceptable play styles currently just fall short of hitting speed in nightmare.

It's a thought. And one that you probably shouldn't credit me with less I wake up to a torch brandishing mob outside my house in a week.
  9. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

- Speed Bonus time requirement reduced from 3600 to 3240 game time seconds in EC Recruit

Thread moved to NOTD Discussion.
  10. grandmarshal

grandmarshal New Member

For one I agree with the increased difficulty in getting speed.

If wins tracking were to exist long time ago, u will see that the new vet speed win when they reach 10k exp will be way more than old vets at the same level, apple to apple comparison.

Alpha n Sec Team had been nerfed considerably since ages past when Cerebus still a dog with horns :p. thus, I won't have data to compare.
  11. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Is it possible to set the speed bonus requirement for EC Recruit using the Squad XP, rather than fixing it for whole recruit game.

Reason is for speed time 3240 sec is hard for a full team of *new players*(solid xp of 500 below) even in recruit or maybe a few of vets and the rest of news. Maybe take use of the average Squad XP in order of 5k above to use the 3240 sec for speed, otherwise less than 5k of squad xp can have more time learning and get to know the speed bonus mechanic as well.
  12. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

It is possible to do so, and we could make it a sloping curve, so having 1 or 2 vets doesn't skew things horribly.
  13. EdowardoLMP

Because I assume (if possibly) chances are that new players will need longer time to absorb EC gameplay. Even if there's any vet inside the recruit game, they can give guidance as well, thus the extra 10 minutes or so can be used then. So theoretically the more XP you have, the more game knowledge, mechanics and skills you have

Since Squad rating affects game difficulty and squad XP is just an info, why not use the Squad XP for future Speed Bonus adjustments. Also, I was trying to make the Squad XP as part of the game mechanics as well. Similarity Squad rating affects game difficulty, the Squad XP will affect the game speed bonus requirement.

For example:
    Squad XP 5k below : normal 3600 game time speed bonus.
    Squad XP 5k - 10k : 1% decrease in game time. OR A solid figure like 1-2 minute.
    Squad XP 10k - 20k : 2% decrease in time limit. OR A solid figure like 3-4 minute.
    Squad XP 20k ....
    and so on.

I'll treat this as a suggestion, not sure whether coding this requirement is silly or too complicated.

Edit: If this will be introduced, then I suggests comm's mission may not be required for speed bonus and be treated back as an optional mission.
  14. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

The only issue with using Squad XP instead of Squad rating is that sqaud xp can be skewed massively by a single vet. I could join a game with 7 0 XP newbs and magically the Squad XP is going to be 21k. The noobs are going to be doomed and I MIGHT be able to carry them fast enough to get speed. If me and Downloading joined a game, we have just assured the squad XP is going to be at LEAST 50k. And I play pubs a decent amount and I know DL does too.
  15. EdowardoLMP

If that's the case, possibly can make it as a trigger command. (like type in -nc, -nm etc.) Put it as a gambling system for betting more bonuses for speed.

If it'c activated and the team managed to get the game time speed bonus, it will double the speed bonus xp (possibly credits as well), else lose speed bonus according to the difficulty.

*Although gambling is a bad habit.

Extra: Could it be better adding in the speed bonus time limit into the -sq info list as well?