NOTD for the Map Arcade

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

We will be releasing NOTD for the Map Arcade when it's released. That will be at least 6 months away (November 2012). I think it's important to share with the Black Ops community some things we want to do upfront and also get some feedback on how to make things win/win for everyone.

1. From today onwards, up to 20% of our effort will go into building exclusive content for our Map Arcade version. The intent is to give people tangible reasons to 'upgrade', apart from basic stuff like XP cap unlocks. At this stage, this would be locked content inside the main file download.

2. There will always be a free version of NOTD that will be regularly updated. The bulk of our community would be free-to-play and we respect that. I also want to re-iterate that I'm committed to updating NOTD until 2015 - even if the Map Arcade doesn't ever launch, and barring anything unusual like the world ending on 21 Dec 2012.

3. >70% of our player base is from North America and a fair bit of our design choices will reflect that (e.g. a bit more American centric, more inspiration from US Marine Corps, etc). As much as we try to internationalize things (the dev team is from malaysia!), we can't isolate our core audience. It's a tough act balancing this and we're always open to feedback.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Always faithful to the corps.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about trying to Americanize things. Simply put (And yes I am American), most Americans don't really have a clue how other nations really run things. Guess it comes from being able to live in a nation where you can be thousands of miles from another country with a vastly different culture, unlike Europeans in particular. You can draw from other cultures without any major worries. And most kids are young enough that there isn't any real bitter enemies in the heart of Americans. Not like we have the Cold War McCarthyism going on right now. So it's not like anyone is going to be insulted if you end up drawing from say, Egyptians.

I mean I'm a fairly well globalized American, comparatively... and I couldn't even tell you who the Prime Minister of Germany is. Though I'd probably recognize the name/face if I saw her.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

What kind of exclusive content would it be and how would it affect gameplay?
    I.e. additional mods to the character that make it even more powerful might well discourage players from playing NOTD as medals etc are capped at level 10 and gaining more damage/speed etc would make mobs become too easy.

Talking of XP cap, how would this work given that presumably current banks are moved to the Blizz server so that there isn't a global wipe. Would players with a lot of XP suddenly lose a chunk of it?

Also, since the info gets stored on Blizz, what if a player hacks their bank and then plays the new NOTD for the first time. Would this mean they permanently have insane stats?

I can't either as German by nationality, and that's because there is no Prime Minister in Germany :p
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

More or less my point exactly. xD .... what is her position called then? Dammit. Least it's not as hard as trying to keep up with Italian politics. Every time I blink it seems like they have a new government.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Chancellor is the Prime Minister equivalent and President is like Head of Government but mainly ceremonial.
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

... I should have known it was Chancellor. Ah well. Getting a bit off topic here.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

All hail the Fuhrer?

Anyways, if you set it up like the marine corp, don't Hollywood it. Those of us with actually served find this incredibly annoying. I know there's a surprising amount of players (on NA) who are active duty or have served their tours, go consult them for advice/opinions.
  8. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I would suggest for the map arcade version more ability to customize the character aesthetically. For example, recon's would have the option to look like tosh and assaults would have the option to look like warfield. Possibly increase their credit gain rate or have item give-aways? (all arcade owners start with 10% chance for an extra flamer to start in their inventory for a week)
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Hmm. Makes me think of some option. Call it Weapon of Choice or something. Marine gets to start with a common weapon of their choice every game. Either supplanting their normal weapon or in addition to, whatever works out better. Avoid rare/uncommon weapons. So no "Weapon of Choice: Shiva" or "Weapon of Choice: Heavy Machinegun". But more along the lines of Gauss, Pistol, Flamer, SMG, M45, M5, HK. Only real concern on that being how much of a hole that could rip in Apollo Company. Having a few guys (Or even a whole team) starting with M5s and SMGs instead of Pistols. But hell, they're weak enough in every other storyline that people would suffer for it.
  10. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

At most, I would say just give them a insignificant buff, like .5 extra sight range, 1% Increased Damage / Attack Speed, 1% increased Crit Strike Chance, 0.025+ move speed. Nothing too big( at least thats I think isn't too big). But Primarily, I would prefer that isn't done. Aesthetic Looks should be available rather then that. Maybe be allowed to select your Rank Sign (Only ones you have obtained), and maybe even unlock an extra rank sign.

M5, HK, SMG I say no too. SMG makes a person enough of an exp hog in Easy Co Pubs. The others are uncommon items. Imagine if a team of people decided to start with HK's in easy company. Tartarus would get roasted.

As for Apollo, just have it automatically enter their inventory upon reaching armory.
  11. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

What about customizable names/titles?
  12. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Special: -FlintLckwood Command.

Flint comes from the heavens wrecks havoc onto the enemy hordes.

jk.

But anyways, the Ability to customize your name would be nice. I could have a Space in my name.

Malum Ruina has a -rename command, and you can effectively change your name for a game. A Permanent version of that would be nice to have, with the option to rename yourself.

Customized Titles would be nice, but it would be best to have it not allow a person to create an imitation title, i.e. Can't title themselves General of the Army and so forth.