NOTD Community Chat Program.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shooz, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

The current costs of the NOTD vent are running 168$ USD to maintain it.

In this thread I'll give you a few options, whichever option you pick, please give a short explanation of why you picked it.

Thanks. I'll be gathering the info from this poll to determine how many people want what. After the BO have had their say, i'll move this thread to General Discussion.
  2. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

After reading around, I want to say we go with Mumble.

1) It has auto volume normalization, meaning no matter what someone has their mic set to, they won't come on and either be dead silent or blow your eardrums off.

2) Overlay for games, so you can see chat

3) UI is nicer looking

4) Actively developed, current Vent hasn't really seen any updates in a long while.

5) Cheaper
  3. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

Regardless of the option we choose, I will donate to help keep these types of things up and running for the community.

So with that being said, I'm going to guess that a majority will probably want to go to with the most cost effective decision, so I'm fine with mumble.
  4. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Perhaps it would be wise to get prices and sizes for all these suitable voice chat programs and compare them with each other.

I'm no expert in such an area, and if its the cost that is the problem atm, I believe its wise to do so.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Mumble is better than vent.
  6. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

For me i'll help donate whatever the Voice chat software well have, but still don't give a damn about the UI, since 90% of my time i'm doing something else. I rather keep the ventrilo since i'm pretty much used to it.
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

My recommendation is Mumble too based on my research.
  8. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

I am in the group of "Do whatever" because having used ts3 and vent, i have noticed no real difference. So, I am fine with whatever, and Shooz, I will be happy to donate to that cause, so pop up here and I'll see what I can scrape up.
  9. Shooz
    • Donator

I'll be moving this poll to General Discussion tomorrow to see what the rest of the community has to say about it. Thanks for all current input on this.
  10. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Holy mother of christ, 168$?! Is it hosted on pure gold servers?
  11. Shooz
    • Donator

Platinum, didn't you know?
  12. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Sweet jesus christ though, I never knew that vent was so expensive, could get a damn dual core 3.4 ghz, 8 gb ram and 100 mb uplink and then host whatever for like 40$..
  13. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

What you pay for service (instant setup, customer support line, no downtime).
  14. Shooz
    • Donator

Thread moved to General Discussion and is now open to the public.
  15. Shorsnacks
    • Donator

Shorsnacks Miranda's bum :')

I'm very much used to ventrilo but if we do switch to mumble(i have never used it), or some other voice chat which everyone agrees is a great alternative, go for it!
    I can also contribute some to the new server! ^^
  16. mac

mac New Member

Mumble, less latency, choice of professional gaming guilds across the globe. (Source, many years of top 10 world raiding.)
  17. ComradeHX

ComradeHX Well-Known Member

Mumble for sure.

Way better (I come from playing Project Reality with directional voices...etc.).
  18. Nixak

Nixak Member

I would prefer Mumble over Team Speak.
  19. Shooz
    • Donator

Alright. Looks like the majority of.. Well... Everyone, wants Mumble. So I'll start the process to establish a Mumble server in place of Ventrilo.

More on this later.
  20. Shooz
    • Donator

I've decided that we will be going with Mumble for our future NOTD chat program.

There will be a donations button added to select locations that will be easily visible. From there(if you so wish) you can donate money to help us run our awesome program.

Keep your eyes peeled for a new post regarding a NOTD Mumble.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.