NOTD Bank Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ability, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Please backup your bank file. See guide: http://www.notdstarcraft.com/forum/show ... hp?tid=156

We'll be upgrading our bank file and the new NOTD bank file will be called notdbank4.sc2bank. Your old notdv003.sc2bank files will remain un-updated in the next patch and will be a local backup file. On-going, all bank writes will be done on notdbank4.sc2bank.

What changes?
    Present System: 40 bank variables
    New System: 120 bank variables

Why are we making this change?
    We've maxed out our bank variables and now need to expand our bank capacity to allow more data/achievement storage. I chose 120 variables because this would be a good number to fit almost all of NOTD's needs with a buffer of around 20 variables for emergency use. The greater the amount of variables we use, the more error prone it is. More variables also mean longer spikes during bank saves/loads and that disrupts the flow of the game. If you notice very carefully, NOTD's loading has a very small wait before the storyline selection comes up. This isn't because of lag, but an intentional wait needed to load all players' bank files. The larger the banks, the more time we need.

What are Banks?
    Banks are used to store player data. Many maps use them. In NOTD's case, we use it to store your XP, Medals, Wins, Class Points and many others. They are currently stored locally in your PC. When the Map Arcade comes out with Heart of the Swarm, it is very likely that Banks will move to Blizzard's server. Only then can Banks be truly secure and allow commercial operations of the Map Arcade to take place.

What could go wrong?
    We're not sure exactly what the technical limits of SC2 banks are. If it doesn't support 120 variables, everything is fubar. Theoretical testing done on SC2Mapster says that there's no meaningful limits to banks, but nobody really has any conclusive or bullet-proof data. Our local testing shows that 120 bank variables work, but the results can vary in an 8 player setting. If our stress-tests fail, we'll revert to the old bank system. I can't emphasize enough the need to keep multiple backups of your bank file. This is a high risk change and local testing can only verify up to a limit.

When is this live?
    We'll be stress-testing the new bank system today.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Going live across all servers within 30 mins from this post. We'll be monitoring closely the next 24 hours.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

4. DrawingDead

DrawingDead Member

"All shall turn to Black in the coming Night!"
    Coincidence? I think not.[hr]
    Alright in all seriousness. Bank file "reset" however I had medals (not accurate) and I had -24? weapon mods, 1xp. Also i get kicked after about 1 minute.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

There's a bank data transfer error. We'll be fixing it within 1 hour and the new bank file will be notdbank5.sc2bank.
  6. Silver

Silver New Member

Because everyone has 0XP(or 1) and the fact that we have negative weapon mods i don't see why we should even be trying to play this anymore unless people like Ability can actually be helped to return what was taken from us.

If we should continue to play even after we lost everything then something like 10x EXP in chapter 3 would be a nice incentive to get everything back as quickly as possible.

also weapon mods should probably be included as a 1 time drop in last chapter for all levels of difficulty (although 2 for alpha and 3 for sec would probably be best as incentives)
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

New patch uploaded to all servers. Looks okay so far. Will be live in EU in 5 mins.
  8. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Patience child. These are just temporary losses. Your experience, medals, credits etc will be back to the way they were with the addition of more data storage capacity in everyone's banks after the new system is polished.
  9. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

I noticed a problem with my bank files today. When I played today to get my navy medal and exped medal, it didnt register when I won the game.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Please isolate all questions and bug reports to this thread to help Ability work the kinks out quicker.
  11. Dober

Dober New Member

Yeah, I noticed something similar, all data except games played weren't tracked correctly.

My stats of notdv003.SC2Bank yesterday:
    [​IMG]

My stats of notdbank5.SC2Bank after 2 games with the new upgrade today:
    [​IMG]

I've had 2 games between these bank files, one ec nm game failed after 15min with bronze star and a second succeed ec nm game, where xp, game or medals were not tracked :(.

Saving doesn't work properly?
  12. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

saveing works just u need to do a few things first. Move ur notd2 or notd3 banks to a seperate folder (dont delete). this should leave ur notd5 new bank and the "backup bank file".
  13. Dober

Dober New Member

No, it still doesn't work! I just finished another third ec nm game, still no changes! There are only 2 files in my folder:

notdbank5.SC2Bank
    NOTDBackup.SC2Bank

After the third game:
    [​IMG]
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Update:
    You must type -s before you quit the game for xp and medals to save properly.
  15. Dober

Dober New Member

Yeah, right. I finished all my three games without typing -s, only clicked on the "end mission" button.
    But timestamp of notdbank5.SC2Bank and NOTDBackup.SC2Bank were changed to the time, where i finished my game.
  16. Dober

Dober New Member

After fourth game:

[​IMG]

Finally, typed -s at the end, autosave doesnt work. lost 2 dsm games then :(
  17. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks. Auto save should work in next patch. We'll upload it within 2 hours.
  18. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

[​IMG]
  19. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Please let me know if you still see any issues. Otherwise, we'll begin using the new bank variables soon.

Some of the first few things we'll start tracking
    - NM Speed wins
    - Several new team-based stats
  20. Fishi12

Fishi12 New Member

In my past couple games, I keep getting dropped after the game has started. I'm perfectly fine at the start but around a minute or two into the game, I get a defeat window with the only option being quit and the XP on the far right gets reset to 0. I'm not sure what to do, please help. :(

Edit: Fixed it