NOTD Ban System Discussion

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Bans are not permanent, especially for 1st time offenders. Otherwise, they would have "learnt their lesson" and be useful members of other communities.
  2. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

And this is why I didn't mention their names.
    Clean slate for them and it's working thus far as they have made their own contributions.
    Not always in public of course. I personally wouldn't have found the "bank mutilation help site Void uses" if one of our redeemed didn't tell me about it and asked I make it known to the B.O.

Some insights can only be given by people who've been on "that side" and returned. See Frank Abagnale Jr.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
  3. Hongbearr

Hongbearr New Member

So what's the process for removing someone from the banlist? If someone is banned and doesn't speak up for himself, does he remain on the banlist forever?

For example, this is the 3rd "1-week" ban for ChildOfFury
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I need the wardens help to raise it up. I can't track all myself.
  5. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Working on a new system for that. Also I would like to say it was minimum one week. The fact that he didn't protest the ban probably means that he doesn't deserve to be unbanned.
  6. Hongbearr

Hongbearr New Member

So basically if someone is banned and doesn't speak up, then he is pretty much banned until we need to make new space in the ban list.

I think Niteshade got what he wanted after all :)
  7. Emperor

Emperor New Member

That's typically how bans work anyway.
  8. Hongbearr

Hongbearr New Member

But that's not what THIS ban system was designed to do. Unless things have changed, I thought only repeat offenders are supposed to stay on the list.

Currently, the ban duration is meaningless without a process to track who should remain on the list and who should be removed. And that's a LOT of work.

In effect, those who are on the list are permanently banned. Honestly, I care enough to say that this is not fair, but not enough to yell bloody murder since I'm not on the list and I don't have any friends who are.
  9. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

The ban duration is a minimum. You're effectively permanently banned until you apologize on the forum, at which point your ban length will be shortened to whatever the minimum ban duration was for your case. If someone still wants to play after they get banned, it takes very little effort to make an account on the forum to remedy that. Until such point, why would we need to remove the ban? They probably just stopped playing, and we have no need to mess with it until we need the space.
  10. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Hmm, are there any messages when they are banned that tells them something like, "If you feel unfairly banned, please go to our forum, make an account and post why you think you have been unfairly banned in the Community Watch Discussion and Rebuttal Thread."

If there isn't a message like this, I think one should be made so they know where to discuss their ban and stuff like that.

Sorry if there is one in place and it's me not reading announcements again.
  11. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

+1, should also say that if you want your ban to not be permanent to go apologize in said thread and agree to delete your hacked bank.
  12. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

I agree Thermidor, and I did back when this started too. Not sure if there's any message currently or not though.
  13. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

RE: NOTD Ban System

Id like to add a short bit about griefer's and tkers. I'd like to suggest an auto-save occuring when any of your rating or karma is effected negativley. Preferably auto-save periodically (bosses, objective completion etc) but pribably cause extra lag moments unnececarily. If you auto-save when rate/karma goes negative each time, ppl cant troll and just leave without any penalty. Yes there would be some cons to this idea but i think it would be for the better.
    [hr]
    Sorry for typos im on my phone :p
    [hr]
    Auto-save similar to what happens when hero dies, but for ANY negative points.
  14. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Won't fix the fundamental problem of bank's being stored locally. A person can simply load a back-up bank and not have to worry about those negatives.
  15. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Also Auto-Save on death is not-working
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Has the ban system been helpful? Some games like SOTIS/Star Battle, do they use a ban system?

Please let me know if there's any other feedback on the system as it is today. Map script size is no longer an issue effective Patch 1.5 as well so long-term bans are fine if they are warranted. Off topic, auto-save should be resolved in the latest patches.
  17. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

very helpful. it's working both as a cure and prevention system in one.
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

It does seem to be helping overall. Star battle has no need for bans since very little you can use your bank for to actually do anything, it translates to almost no in game changes. Sotis is the same, its dota, the bank gives you nothing.
  19. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

EU has a disproportionate amount of bans given that NA is 70% of our player base. Is the reporting just better in EU or we have more civil players in NA/SEA?

All the 6's in the screenshot are EU.
  20. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I wouldn't say 8 1's (NA) to 2 6's (EU) is all that disproportionate.

Then again EU might not have gotten hit as hard by the Diablo 3 Exodus, and that might be a primary concern.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.