NOTD Ban System Discussion

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

That, and the list is forever long.
  2. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Plus, a few people on that list no longer play.
  3. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

I also support an auto-ban. It seems rather unnecessary to require a text command to work and will be something I copy, paste, and enter in every game now. I see no point in the hassle.

Providing banned players with a message that they have been deemed hackers and have the right to plead their case on the forum is a good idea. I imagine many people don't come here regularly and it would be a good idea to tell them why they're being banned and how to potentially fix it.

I'm not sure 1 week bans are long enough, but I hope that if they return after that week and nothing has changed a new ban will start shortly thereafter. One second chance should be enough unless they can prove innocence.
  4. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Question, if someone is banned for a period of time (say a week), how will you make sure that he or she will be unbanned exactly one week later? Will you have to update the player list every time someone is banned or unbanned and have everyone download the updated hacker list?
  5. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I believe the system is that we have periodic updates of the game (say a week or so) and then we'll be able to update the list as well this way. It will probably not be a week ban each time, but it will be close.
  6. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Mm... Why not just keep them banned until they make a successful appeal on the forum? And then they could wait until the next map update (with their name and ID taken off the list of course)... Just an idea.

I mean, if they really like playing Night of the Dead so much, they would do anything for an unban right?
  7. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

It takes up too much script space, something that apparently we need to save in the map.
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

That's all well and good, but you also have to consider that these bans aren't all going to fall on the same day of the week. Unless Ability creates a rotating system where he allots one day to administer and rescind bans, the workload from so many temporary bans is going to get in the way of getting actual work done.

That said, has Ability considered a rotating system?
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

That's... a good question...
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I can administer all bans/un-bans on Sunday each week if that helps?
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

The heck you asking us for? It's for your benefit.
  12. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I will administer all bans/un-bans on Sunday each week. :blush:
  13. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

One week bans will always be one week as both the bans and un-bans occur on the same day.
  14. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Do people want the bans to be automatic or manual?

It could even be manual override. E.g.

1. Game starts
    2. During first 30 secs, 'Player X is on banlist'
    3. Type '-noban' if you don't want him to be banned
    4. 2 mins into game, auto-ban runs. If manual override was typed, no auto-ban.
  15. Ramses II
    • Donator

Would it be possible to have both options available? For example have automatic bans for hackers while chronic tkers and griefers have a message appear at the start similar to what happens with low karma players saying "Player X has been known to grief and purposefully ruin games. If he/she/it attempts to do so this game, type -banrun to ban them." This is available to any player and doesn't take multiple votes.
  16. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

The good thing about automatic banning is pretty much that it is automatic, the person will be banned regardless of what people do or do not do. And that could be a bad thing as well. I mean, if they reform/reset their bank within a week, you don't want to update just to remove them from the ban list. And it could make them not play if they reform and then are banned anyway. So manual system is good in that regard.

But it really depends on the person using it. Manual system may be good because you can investigate former hackers, but it isn't good at all if some random person just decides to type in -banrun at the beginning of the game anyway, which would make it the same as automatic system.
  17. Ramses II
    • Donator

Except that if someone reforms they will come to the forum to explain themselves and then will be un-banned on the next Sunday.
  18. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

It's hard to prove that you've reformed if you're automatically banned from every game.
  19. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Trust me, its hard either way.
  20. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Do not want a way to circumvent the banlist. As Aren for example showed, even the worst hacker trash can get one friend. After people started VKing him, he got his friend to VK anyone that tried to VK him, or TK as needed. So yeah, they might find one person who just keeps typing -noban for them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.