NOTD Ban System Discussion

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

RE: NOTD Ban System

Not volunteering for the job myself. But here is my thoughts:

Do not reinvent the wheel. As it stands we already do have the Community Watch topic. It's standards tend to be fairly concrete when being posted in correctly. Screencaps of XP, Medals, Stats, Mods (And should include ID tag now). Combine with maybe Replays if there is relevant conversation to cite, like the guy claiming he was from Beta and an actual oldbie calling him out on his false claims by having him cite false information. Though only circumstantial, it's nice supplemental evidence.

Give a few days waiting period before banning. During this time someone mentions they got reported. Direct them to the forum to refute the case. Typically the ones who ARE hackers clearly who try to refute the claims do it so badly that it only helps prove they are. Three or four days is the review/grace period I'd suggest as that should give plenty of time for anyone who can cover them, point out they are Server Transplants, etc, pop up and say something, while not letting them run amok for an extended period of time.

Being a red blooded American Patriot I do support the standard "Beyond a reasonable doubt". If it's suspicious but can logically be explained as being a Pub Hero or Survival Farmer for example, sure, let it go. I see it as better for the longevity of the game if we err on the side of staying the hand. Having legit players getting banned will do more harm than having a few less than blatant hackers running around.
  2. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

NOTD works under a guilty until proven innocent basis for the accused.
  3. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Well if we're going server by server, I'll volunteer to try it out for SEA.
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay. Ghost (EU), Nicarco (NA) and Yuey (SEA) will help administer the ban list. Final decision will be made by developers.

Any other final thoughts before moving this to NOTD Discussion?
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Just make sure to tell everyone that, in the course of your reporting, they need to include a screenshot showing the player ID now. They should be showing that pop up anyway because things like unusual Ratings/Karma, XP Per Game, or Games Played can help spot unusual bank irregularities.
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay, this is moving to NOTD Discussion. I'll make a separate main post on how everything will work. Banruns will be usable by general public for now.
  7. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

Hi, i've read all this and can tell you i'm over the moon something is actually being done about this.

however, i thought i'd just bring up an issue you might not have considered.

while having a -banrun script is nice, i believe it is more accurate to just run it automatically. i can envision it being an auto-reflex for most players in due course, just like it is almost auto-reflex for people to type -sr at the start of most games. in fact many new players learn this auto-reflex without actually knowing what it does.

i would rather you take out the input command and make it automatic, because the number of keyboard-entered shortcuts is high enough and it takes time to explain every single one of them, not to mention pretty overwhelming to new players.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Something I wanted, so it runs about 2 minutes into the game like the current Anti-Hack detection does (When it works).
  9. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

just checking: that's not what it actually does right now, right?
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

As far as the Anti-Hack checks? It doesn't work as far as I know as still some kids with obviously hacked stuff gets through. Like 5k+ XP with zero medal points what so ever, or 166k XP (Quite a bit above any legitimately achieved bank).

The only time I actually saw the Anti-Hack check work was when we updated to NOTDv4 Bank, it bugged out everyone's bank and gave them something like 12 XP with level 3 medals. About 2 minutes into the game it would kick everyone as being an obvious Hacker.

I don't know if the checks were removed because I haven't seen it kick anyone since, or if the logic checks for it are so extreme that 90% of the Hackers just don't trip it (Like less than 100 XP with level 3 medals, or 500k+ XP).

But since at least at one point the scripting for such a thing existed I thought it'd be easy to replace "If XP is greater than 500,000, ban" with "If ID is ________, ban" sort of thing.
  11. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I was thinking of a three group system like this for bans. Any suggestions?

Unbanned: Player is free to play in all games with no restrictions
    Watched: Player is a confirmed but possibly reformed hacker/griefer. He can play except he will be kicked if people see him with hacked stats/griefing/whatever he was banned for. Uses the banrun command to kick him.
    Banned: Player will be automatically banned from all games until the ban duration is up.

Only problem with logic checks is what AP had pointed out, as people start getting large amounts of medals and xp, you need to broaden the boundaries more and more until it's basically completely useless. You may kick the obvious 1000 xp/game hackers, but most xp and cred hacks will get through.
  12. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Only player's from the Guilty's home server should be able to vote in his demise, regardless of how obvious it may be to others.
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

That said, now might be a good time to fill in the SC2 info in your forum profile. There's a spot there for Battle.net Server that will simplify the process.
  14. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

Ban SYSTEM
    Events Timer - Elapsed time is 1.0 Game Time seconds
    Local Variables
    Conditions
    Actions

Player Group - Pick each player in (Active Players) and do (Actions)
    Actions
    General
    - If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
    If
    Or
    Conditions

(Handle of player (Picked player)) == Ban List of players.ABC Id
    (Handle of player (Picked player)) == Ban List of players.DEF ID
    (Handle of player (Picked player)) == Ban List of players.GHI ID
    (Handle of player (Picked player)) == Ban List of players.JKL ID
    (Handle of player (Picked player)) == Ban List of players.LMN id
    Then
    UI - Display ((Name of player (Picked player)) + " is a Hacker, & must be purged!") for (All players) to Subtitle area
    Game - End game in Defeat for player (Picked player) (Show dialogs, Show score screen)
    Else
    UI - Display ((Name of player (Picked player)) + " is not a hacker & shall be spared.") for (All players) to Subtitle area

Hope you store all the Variables in a Record and Split the servers with Comments.
  15. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Eh.. Why exactly do it one line per ID; why not use a single static string full of ID's and then use string containment to check for ID's?
  16. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

If permanent ban sure. But what about those are temp bans.
    Who wants to swift through the entire string all the time.
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

It isn't hard todo for one, keep an external list (Or an excel file) to determine dates and save many lines of additional OR's
  18. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

so this new system is just type in "-banrun" if there is a hacker? who is reported? can it be at the start a text "type: -banrun" so there is a bigger chance that a hacker get banned?
  19. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

This is just my opinion but i think everyone on the CW list should be temporary banned for one week as a main warning as to what will happen should they continue to hack
  20. Mirage
    • Donator

Genius except the existing CW list doesn't include player ID's
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.