NOTD Ban System Discussion

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

RE: NOTD Ban System

I see, so what you mean is someone can go hack themselves 100k xp max medals etc and as long as they play well in a team and are cooperative, they are merely taken note of?

Doesn't that attitude implicitly promote hacking your bank as there's no consequences?
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Hacker: Banned

Not Hacker, but Team Killer/Asshole/Rambo/Whatever: Grudgingly let them stay

There's your system.
  3. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

What about reformed hackers? Or reformed griefers etc.
  4. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

Lets look at our values, what it means to be a good NOTD player, the type of player we want playing notd.

Then with those values we can them as criteria to judge accused players. We can see how far away these, players are from these values, if they are far away do we really ewant them playing in our community?
  5. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

I would also agree with Nite's 1st category.

Hacker = ban.
    That's outright cheating not just the system but everyone else who actually worked for what they have. Reason being that high exp players tend to be the ones people ask for help with info/tactics etc and commonly looked to, to lead missions. We cannot have cheaters in that position.

Though I would give like a warning and a deadline for bank reversal. (like within 24 hours). After that, put the guy in a cell and throw away the key.

Trolls, TKers etc will also need a means to be dealt with however and my thinking is a tad inline with Reaper's post above.

As for the reformed, probationary status for a week (stays in the community watch for that duration).
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Seems I'm outnumbered and alone on the Griefers. So be it.

I have no love for Hackers either. Though considering the sheer bulk of the Community Watch list, for example, I'm not certain if we really want lifetime bans for bank hacking, that could end up being a lot of coding space taken up.

I think a limited time ban would be best. Hackers being hackers because they have no virtues such as Patience probably won't stick around if they find out they can't play for even a few days.

This reminds me... apparently we can set validators to auto-kick people about 2 minutes in if they have obviously hacked stats, right? Why do we really need a -banlist command to kick them out of a game every single game? Why not just use the same sort of code to autokick them?
  7. Lyanden

The current community watch lists contains only hackers as far as I remember. Reporting people for 'bad behavior' was removed as it generated a lot of hate.

Closest thing we have to the old watch list are the occasional posts in noob of the day.

As for the autokick part, I'm not sure either. The current banlist works more like a probational list rather than an actual 'you're banned form the game' thing doesn't it?

Maybe the creator doesn't want said hackers to get completely ostracized? On one hand, I find that odd. On the other, at least that allows us to confirm if the person reverted their bank from its mutilated state before actually kicking them out again.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

That's what I mean. Community Watch is only Hackers. But there's a ton of names on that list. Handing out permanent bans for that many might be more Code than The Man wants to invest in it.
  9. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Very few of the people on the CW are still active, however. He could just ban all the active ones.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yup. If we just hand out a Week Ban, it will probably work just as effectively as a Lifetime Ban. A day or two of Banning might fall between their normal play schedule, they might not even notice it. A week is more likely to be noticeable. And spending a few days desperately trying to play with their hacker self, and getting Autokicked 2 minutes in should be enough to hammer the lesson home. Perhaps have a message appear when they are kicked saying "Screw you Hacker" so they KNOW it's not a Bug and they were singled out for it. Have the Autokick say something like "XXXX was slaughtered by Anti-Hack Checks". Because you know, probably doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the game for new players if the seeming "Vet" they were counting on just apparently dies for no reason.
  11. Lyanden

Being public about it/having a message pop-up for everyone (including the bank file mutilator) to see is necessary to let the other players know that it's not tolerated and for the culprit to know he/she was caught. So yeah +1 I also support this idea.

That it autokick the culprits w/o needing a BlackOps to input a -banrun, also a +1. Wouldn't be that different from the previously (marginally successful) autokick system.
    I mean in my opinion, all that did was teach these guys how to make "legit looking" banks. :/

The fact it requires a BO member in the game also means they can still play and maybe influence others to do as they had done without anyone to counter them. If they try in channel, at least quite a few of us + the rest of the 'clean' population will at least try to combat said actions.

That said though, let's go with what Ability has made thus far for now/give it a try and see how it goes. If it's too tame (which I think it is), then we can push the creator for something more harsh.
  12. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Who wants to administer and run the actual ban list?
  13. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I'd like to give it a go.
  14. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

I could co-administer it.
  15. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Ooh! Pick me!

That aside, I would like to formally request to administer the ban list.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Should be 1 per server, that person is in charge of telling the hacker that they are being banned if they don't delete their bank before adding them to the list.
  17. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

[​IMG]
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

I'm fine with permanent bans, AS LONG AS WE HAVE SOLID PROOF. No way in hell we should be banning people based on flimsy accusations or unsubstantiated proof. Like I said earlier, have someone bring initial accusation with screenshots, then have a Black Ops member go play a game with them and get 2nd confirming screenshots, then simple u pdown vote by Community/Devs/BO/Mods/whatever for conviction.

And I also agree we need one person per server to keep track of things. Also those 3 individual need to keep in constant communication to validate individuals who hop servers (Many on SEA do, and few NA vets like myself hop on EU, see thread where Reaper thought Arch was a hacker).
  19. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

But that's only because Arch wanted to be caught as a hacker.

I agree though. Constant communication is key. The easiest way to solve this problem is to either have the same username or just communicate to someone that you are switching servers.
  20. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

<--- does not want to administer the ban list pl0x.

I do, however, like where Arcane is going with his nizbiz.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.