Implemented NOTD 2: User Interface

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

NOTD 2: User Interface
    lucket teh culurs!
    I am pleased to announce that Sym has finished both the HUD and the Team Bar for NOTD 2, and we will be implementing them as soon as we find the time.

[​IMG]

Now, the HUD you've most likely seen already, and the updates are mostly just tweaks such as moving the Equipment Bar closer to the Inventory and other minor adjustments. The most notable addition is the Team Bar, which works a little differently from how it does in NOTD.

• First of all, the viewing players' box is larger than that of their companions and situated at the top. This is to aid players in keeping track of themselves. The remaining teammembers will be listed in sequential order below.
    • The displayed portrait will not necessarily correspond to whatever class the players have chosen, as Custom Portraits will be "a thing".
    • The sidebar to the left of the Portrait box will contain two things: the player's current Rank and the player's Class Icon. Class Icons, as you may have guessed, will be symbols that identify the player's current class and will change to reflect what Tier 3 ability they may have chosen.
    • Shields will be a listed value, to help keep track of the individuals that happen to rely on them heavily.
    • Mousing over the rank icon will list the player's experience, rating, and games played.
    • Mousing over the class icon will list how many points the player has put into each tree. Clicking it will show that player's talent selections.
    • Mousing over the portrait will show how many hits, kills, damage taken, and SCII ID. Ailments that the player may have will be listed on the portrait. Clicking on the player portrait will center your view on the player's character. Clicking on a team member's portrait will highlight them in-game with a glowing outline for you.

I'll answer any questions you fine folks may have about the UI's planned functionality if you have any.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Kataract

Kataract New Member

Ailment location? nevermind you edited it
  3. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Is this just a mock-up of the inbound, or will we only have 4 teammates listed below?
  4. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

IIRC It will be top player(you) +7 team members below, the ui will be scaled etc to accommodate so will fit all nice and snug. You also wont get empty places where a team member will be so if its only 4 people playing only you +3 team members underneath will be visible, no empty boxes for non playing members.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The player will be in the upper right with the largest portrait, with up to seven others listed below with smaller portraits.
  6. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Ew. Please, leave the UI organization the way it is. Or, maybe make it an option? Like

Player 1
    Player 2
    Player 3
    Player 4
    Player 5
    Player 6
    Player 7
    Player 8

This current UI idea... it's just gonna be fucky.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

No.
  8. stanK

stanK Member

Played alpha for a bit, here's some feedback that i should have posted a while ago:

1) The removal of pointless portraits is good. Should have been done in notd1.
    2) Making equipment always open and visible is good. No more explaining to poor souls in pub how to access equipment. Should have been done in notd1.
    3) The removal of pointless "marine 3d model" is good. Should have been done in notd1.
    4) The solid non-transparent huge border is bad. Minimalistic and transparent notd1 borders are better, current ones should be toned down. For example make the equipment slots actually bigger than the border that surrounds equipment slots.
    5) The bigger mini-map is bad. In notd1 mini-map is just a black square. Having a bigger black square gives u no advantages over having a smaller one. Make it smaller.
    6) I don't see team bar yet, so not much to comment on. But as squish pointed out -- DON'T FUCK UP the ordering unless u completely eliminate the "chat commands" that depend on ordering and make team location numbers coherently tied to team bar. For example, what if I want to know the location of some player who i see in the team bar -- what number should i be looking for when i look at the mini-map?

So in conclusion HUD is going in the right direction with some minor issues.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

I agree about the numbering issue. I don't see the point in having the player bigger at top when they have full view of their condition at the bottom center. Other than that I have no complaints.
  10. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Top player is always you, the info panel wouldn't always be 100% all about you, if you have a boss selected or item, but i can understand where your coming from. Underneath would be numbered as in lobby, Im sure if the mini-map team location number can be added some where on team UI it would lessen the problem. see how it goes for now? be a shame to waste whats already been produced. I will gladly get my small band of notd2 players to give feedback once its in the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. stanK

stanK Member

Yup, adding number overlaying the portrait when team location is on would solve all ordering problems, if its possible to implement it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

UI's done, breh. Probably not happening.
    The ordering is going to remain as is. Something I forgot to mention in the first post is that numbers will be displayed in the rectangular portions of the Team Bar to designate what player is what number.
    Because it's super easy to get lost and it's easier to keep track of your condition that way.
  13. ozzy

ozzy Member

I did use the portraits because clicking on them would centre the camera on the hero so it was not useless
  14. stanK

stanK Member

I use Control+F for that, double press on "1" control group also works.
    I don't think i ever had to rely on the portrait-click once over my entire notd gaming time... but i did find portrait distracting and a waste of screen space that i considered too small.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

I also have never double clicked portrait, i always assumed it was just eye candy on blizzards part. With that being said just to confirm its not the portrait that is important so much as the functionality of being able to quickly center on your hero/unit?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Wow, go me for a late reply - I can't believe I forgot to answer this.

You can center the camera on your unit by clicking on your portrait (aka the one at the top). Alternately, we'll be implementing Heroes of the Storm's Space Bar functionality - that is to say, press Space and the camera will immediately center on your character.
  17. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Just refreshing this post to let you all know that the UI updates are live as posted above along with some additional features that i made:

Boss Health bars
    Ammo bar with drop mag button feature
    Talent window
    Menu bar (the bar with friends on and such), this also contains the new night vision an talent button.
    Gemini coming soon or in? have not checked latest update bnet issues.

Tweaks where made to the command card, unit information panel to remove clutter or annoying background images so looks smoother.

Happy gaming, let us know how you find the new features or any bugs that come up.

Commlink
  18. stanK

stanK Member

You have a new problem -- players don't know about talents. Every game, about 5 minutes in, I look at skills other players assign, and what I'm seeing isn't good.

Since the appearance of the talent button has no indicator or highlight when there are unspent talent points, newbies don't know they exist. I've no idea if its even possible for you to add UI highlights, but its critical that you do some changes. Its one thing when some mission has an unclear description, but when a core game feature is not used its just fucked bad.

Now don't get too upset about stanK bitching about yet another broken thing. The general idea of removing those x->v commands is good. But in this particular instance, flashing talent button performed its function much better than you reinvented it.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

We haven't added the blinking Talent button yet. There's been a lot of work that's gone into the User Interface, so while we apologize that something should be there and isn't, there are hundreds of other details that we've been trying to keep track of in getting it up and running.