NOTD 2: The Rifleman

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

NOTD 2: The Rifleman
    So with a new game comes newly updated stuff. For Arcane’s benefit, I will be making threads like these for each class to designate the differences between the versions and provide transparency on what exactly it is we’re doing. I would make a wiki article directly, but to be frank, time is getting a little tight and I’m not in the mood to learn a new formatting thing when I’ve got so much to do. Sorry, Thermidor.

Because I know someone’s going to ask:
    • Things on button tooltips that are in brackets designate levels or upgrades, with what applies that upgrade in parentheses afterwards (assuming it is not native to that ability).
    • Depending on how these updates are received and how they perform, there is a possibility that some will be retrofitted to fit NOTD. However, don’t count on it. These updates are balanced around the concept of Variant Tier 3s and NOTD 2’s terrain and enemy composition.
    • Base unit stats are the same unless otherwise noted.
    INNATES
    Focus Fire has been rebalanced slightly. It now offers weapon range and more weapon damage at the cost of a higher energy cost. Since Creep will not be nearly as prevalent in NOTD 2, Adaptive Leg Augments have been dropped. In its place, an attack speed boost has been added for the various Rifle-type weapons, to give the Rifleman something of a weapons niche appropriate to their name.

Focus Fire
    Learning tooltip:
    None
    Button tooltip:
    Focus Fire [F]
    Energy Cost: 10
    Cooldown: 10 seconds

Increases weapon damage by [30%/35%/40%] (Weapons Proficiency), [weapon range by [1/2/3]] (Fire Up), and modifies attack speed by [-20%/-5%/+10%/+15%] (Fire Up) for 10 seconds. [Lowers the target’s movement speed by [15%/20%/25%] and attack speed by [5%/10%/15%]. Heroic units have a 50% resistance to slow effects.] (Crippling Fire)

Rifle Proficiency
    Learning tooltip:
    None
    Button tooltip:
    Rifle Proficiency [Passive] (Placed under Marine Actions)
    The Rifleman gains a 7.5% attack speed bonus when using their starting weapon if it is an Assault Rifle, Marksman Rifle, or Laser Rifle.

Adaptive
    Learning tooltip:
    None
    Button tooltip:
    Adaptive [Passive] (Placed under Marine Actions)
    The Rifleman equips weapons 50% faster.

COMBAT
    Mostly the same. Some numbers have been moved around for what I believe is better progression, and a lot of tooltips are getting rewritten.

TIER 1

Critical Strike
    Learning tooltip:
    The Rifleman has remarkable accuracy with most weapons, allowing them to strike at targets of opportunity at an increased rate. Critical damage varies based on the weapon being used.

Level 1: 10% chance to deal bonus damage.
    Level 2: 20% chance to deal bonus damage.
    Level 3: 30% chance to deal bonus damage.

“My rifle and I know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...”

Button tooltip:
    Critical Strike [Passive] (Placed under Marine Actions)
    [10%/20%/30%] chance to deal bonus damage. Critical damage varies based on the weapon being used.

Effects Information:
    BloodTargetImpact.m3 on targeted unit when bonus damage is applied.

Fire Up
    Learning tooltip:
    The thrill of combat brings the Rifleman into a higher state of focus, providing additional offensive bonuses when using Focus Fire.

Level 1: Increases attack speed by 15% and range by 1 while using Focus Fire.
    Level 2: Increases attack speed by 30% and range by 2 while using Focus Fire.
    Level 3: Increases attack speed by 45% and range by 3 while using Focus Fire.

“This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.”

Button tooltip:
    See Innates section.

Effects Information:
    HighYieldActiveCrystals.m3 on Center while Focus Fire is active.

TIER 2

Weapons Proficiency
    Learning tooltip:
    Constant weapons drills have turned reloading weapons and absorbing their recoil into an act of muscle memory, making the Rifleman much more proficient at handling weapons.

Level 1: Increases reload speed by 15% and increases Focus Fire damage by 5%.
    Level 2: Increases reload speed by 30% and increases Focus Fire damage by 10%.

“My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...”

Button tooltip:
    Weapons Proficiency [Passive] (Placed under Marine Actions)
    Increases reload speed by [15%/30%].

Fragmentation Grenade
    Learning Tooltip:
    Fragmentation Grenades are anti-personnel weapons that are designed to scatter shrapnel at high velocities upon detonation, wounding and potentially killing targets in a fairly large area. Because they rely on fragmented metal rather than the concussive strength of the grenade itself, these weapons have a fairly large radius of effect, but perform very poorly against armor and do almost nothing against shields. Grenades are affected by Critical Strike and Focus Fire’s damage bonus.

Level 1: Deals 100 damage to enemies in a radius of 2 with a travel time of 1.5 seconds. Damage is reduced by 50% against Armored units and 95% against shields.
    Level 2: Deals 200 damage to enemies in a radius of 3 with a travel time of 1.5 seconds. Damage is reduced by 50% against Armored units and 95% against shields.

“‘Almost’ counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Thankfully, what you’re holding isn’t a horseshoe.”

Button Tooltip:
    Fragmentation Grenade [E]
    Energy Cost: 25
    Cooldown: 6
    Range: 10

Throw a Fragmentation Grenade at the target area, dealing [100/200] damage to all enemies in a [2/3] radius on impact. Damage is reduced by 50% against Armored units and 95% against shields.

Effects Information:
    Projectile: MagneticMineMissile.m3
    Impact: BurrowChargeImpact.m3

TIER 3
    MECHANICS NOTE: Keep in mind the player can only choose one of these.

Bloodlust
    Learning Tooltip:
    Intoxicated by the rush of battle and slaying their enemies, the Rifleman enters a state of heightened reflexes and zeal and shoots with pinpoint accuracy for a brief period of time.

Level 1: The Rifleman receives 50% bonus attack speed and damage for 15 seconds.

“I happen to be a death-dealing, blood-crazed warrior who wakes up every day just hoping for the chance to dismember my enemies and defile their civilizations.”

Button Tooltip:
    Bloodlust [W]
    Cooldown: 15

Gain 50% bonus attack speed and weapon damage for 15 seconds.
    MECHANICS NOTE: Yes, strictly weapon damage. If it buffed abilities too, that would make Grenadier kinda pointless.

Effects Information:
    Rifleman Buff: BanelingEggNestBuffDamage.m3

Grenadier
    Learning Tooltip:
    The UGC Modular Grenade Launcher is an underslung grenade launcher weapon attachment that can be applied instantly to nearly any weapon. In the event of the weapon being incompatible, it can also be used alone. Grenade launchers are weapons that fire grenades with more accuracy, velocity, and range than a user could throw them. The UGC MGL uses an electromagnetic catapult mechanism rather than a firing assembly, allowing it to use both hand grenades and launcher grenades as ammunition. Grenades are affected by Focus Fire’s damage bonus and can Critical Strike.

Level 1: Fragmentation Grenade gains additional range and damage if it is Level 2 and the Rifleman gains access to the Impaler Grenade and Plasma Grenade abilities.

“Reach out and blow up someone.”

Button Tooltips:
    Fragmentation Grenade [E]
    Range: 15

Launch a Fragmentation Grenade at the target area, dealing 250 damage to all enemies in a 3 radius on impact. Damage is reduced by 50% against Armored units and 95% against shields. Usage puts the other grenade abilities on cooldown.

Impaler Grenade[W]

Launch an Impaler Grenade at the target area, dealing 900 damage to all enemies in a 0.25 radius on impact. Usage puts the other grenade abilities on cooldown.

Plasma Grenade[G]

Launch a Plasma Grenade at the target area, dealing 80 damage to all enemies in a 3 radius on impact and reduces their armor and shield armor by 5 for 10 seconds. Damage is increased by 300% against shields. Usage puts the other grenade abilities on cooldown.

Effects Information:
    Frag Projectile: MissileTurretMissile.m3
    Frag Impact: WidowMineImpact.m3
    Impaler Projectile: ArcadeVikingMissileHoming.m3
    Impaler Impact: MissileTurretImpact.m3
    Plasma Projectile: GriffonFighterMissile.m3
    Plasma Impact: HybridPlasmaMissileImpact.m3

SURVIVAL
    Precision Shot is getting adjusted and also swapped around. Saline IV is moving to Tier 2 (and getting a new name) so if you’re a player that doesn’t need it, you don’t have to spend a single point on it.

TIER 1

Precision Shot
    Learning Tooltip:
    The Rifleman takes aim and fires a single well placed shot at the enemy, dealing high damage and slowing them. The target takes 50% additional damage if it is slowed or stunned. Precision Shot is affected by Focus Fire’s damage bonus and can Critical strike. If Focus Fire is active and has Crippling Strike’s upgrade, the bonus damage is applied automatically.

Level 1: Deals 100 damage and slows target movespeed by 10% for 5 seconds.
    Level 2: Deals 200 damage and slows target movespeed by 20% for 5 seconds.
    Level 3: Deals 300 damage and slows target movespeed by 40% for 5 seconds.

“My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...”

Button Tooltip:
    Precision Shot [R]
    Energy Cost: 10
    Cooldown: 5

Shoot accurately at a single target, dealing [100/200/300] damage and slowing them by [10/20/40]% for 5 seconds. The target takes 50% additional damage if it is stunned or slowed. Precision Shot is affected by Focus Fire’s damage bonus and can Critical strike. If Focus Fire is active and has Crippling Strike’s upgrade, the bonus damage is applied automatically.
    MECHANICS NOTE: Precision Shot does not have a wind-up as it does now.

Effect Information:
    Attack: GhostSnipeBeam.m3
    Slow debuff: TemporalFieldImpact.m3

Crippling Fire
    Learning Tooltip:
    Defensive combat training allows the Rifleman to effectively utilize suppressing action during Focus Fire, providing additional defensive bonuses when using Focus Fire.

Level 1: Lowers the attacked target’s movespeed by 15% and attack speed by 5% for 1 second.
    Level 2: Lowers the attacked target’s movespeed by 20% and attack speed by 10% for 1 second.
    Level 3: Lowers the attacked target’s movespeed by 25% and attack speed by 15% for 1 second.

“Sometimes, looking to incapacitate the enemy rather than kill them is the better option. Ethically? You should always shoot to wound. However, in this case, doing the right thing also has a tactical advantage: it takes two men to remove a wounded ally, but it takes zero to leave a dead one behind. Making injured rather than dead presents more opportunities for you and your squad to be useful.”

Button Tooltip:
    See Innates section.

Effects Information:
    HighYieldActiveCrystals.m3 on Center while Focus Fire is active.
    TemporalFieldImpact.m3 on slowed units.

TIER 2

Self Aid
    Learning Tooltip:
    The Rifleman has been instructed in basic medical training, allowing them to treat most injuries that they may incur during active duty. The Rifleman’s powered exoskeleton also has a multitude of integrated injection modules which contain various antivenoms, coagulants, and saline. If the suit is in overdrive, it is even possible to set bones and mend fractures nearly instantly.

Level 1: Restores 30 hitpoints and cures 1 Venom.
    Level 2: Restores 60 hitpoints and cures 1 Venom and 1 Open Wound.

“The easiest way to stay alive is to stay healthy. It’s never “just a scratch” – treat every wound with the respect it deserves.”

Button Tooltip:
    Self Aid [Q]
    Energy Cost: 20

Heals the Rifleman for [30/60] health and cures [1 Venom/1 Venom and 1 Open Wound]. When under the effects of Repulse, use cures a fracture.

Effect Information:
    MedicHeal.m3 on Center.

Sonic Trap
    Learning Tooltip:
    A Sonic Trap is a device about the size of a briefcase that suspends 6 explosive charges inside an energy field. When a non-authorized entity draws near the device, one of the charges explodes, causing the energy field to expand rapidly in an attempt to contain the reaction. This creates a large non-lethal shockwave that is capable of pushing objects up to 250 pounds away without causing significant harm. Sonic Traps are popular with both security and military forces, as they can be used indiscriminately to disable insurgents or otherwise hostile forces without significant harm to civilians or property.

Level 1: When an enemy passes within 3 radius, all non-heroic and non-massive units in a 5 radius are pushed back a distance of 5 and stunned for 0.5 seconds. Massive units are slowed by 20% and Heroic units are slowed by 10%.
    Level 2: When an enemy passes within 3 radius, all non-heroic and non-massive units in a 8 radius are pushed back a distance of 5 and stunned for 1 second. Massive units are slowed by 40% and Heroic units are slowed by 20%.

“These things used to be way louder - it’s how they got their name, ‘cause they sounded like a sonic boom coming from a jet. Nowadays though, they’re all quiet when they throw you fifty friggin' feet.”

Button Tooltip:
    Sonic Trap [H]
    Energy Cost: 45
    Cooldown: 45

Sets a Sonic Trap at the target location. When an enemy passes within 3 radius of the trap, all non-heroic and non-massive units in a [5/8] radius are pushed back a distance of 5 and stunned for [0.5/1] seconds. Massive units are slowed by [20%/40%] and Heroic units are slowed by [10%/20%].

Effects Information:
    Unit model: ArcadeHunterKillerMissile.m3
    Shockwave model: HybridPsionicShockwave.m3

TIER 3
    ONCE AGAIN: Pick one, not both.

Repulse
    Learning Tooltip:
    The Rifleman forces an enormous surge of energy into their suit’s capacitors and shields, accelerating their suit’s systems to overdrive and blasting the excess from its shield nodes in a searing flash of light and heat. This state of overdrive improves the suit’s basic functions for a brief time, increasing the defensive benefits provided by the exoskeleton considerably.

Level 1: Non-Heroic units in a radius of 6 take 200 damage and are stunned for 5 seconds. Heroic units have their movement speed lowered by 50% for 5 seconds. The Rifleman gains 2 armor, 50% bonus movement speed, and an improved Self Aid for 10 seconds.

“Your armor, not unlike a shield, is not just something that protects you. Used properly, it is also an effective weapon.”

Button Tooltip:
    Repulse [W]
    Cooldown: 20

Non-Heroic units in a radius of 6 take 200 damage and are stunned for 5 seconds. Heroic units have their movement speed lowered by 50% for 5 seconds. The Rifleman gains 2 armor, 50% bonus movement speed, and an improved Self Aid for 10 seconds.

Effect Information:
    Rifleman Buff: BanelingEggNestBuffEnergy.m3
    Shockwave: HyperionEMP.m3
    Heroic slow: HyperionEMPImpact.m3 (Center)
    Unit stun: UnitStunImpact.m3 (Overhead)

K-9 Unit
    Learning Tooltip:
    Dogs have been used as companions in wartime situations for thousands of years and for a wide variety of uses. Most commonly, they are employed as sentries, scouts, and combat companions. Animal rights lobbyists (along with recent infestation fears) have generally phased out live combat companions, but the recent surge in robotics funding and research has provided a replacement that addresses both concerns.

Level 1: The K-9 Unit is a versatile companion that can be used to aid in combat, scout, retrieve items, and defend areas.

“Man’s best friend isn’t a dog anymore. It’s a dog shaped robot buddy.”

Button Tooltip:
    K-9 Unit [G]
    Energy Cost: 75
    Cooldown: 5 minutes

Deploy a K-9 Unit robotic companion.

Unit Stats:
    Show Spoiler

Names: Dogmeat, Barkspawn, Mahalo, Rex, Bandit, Rush, Blade Wolf, Rusty
    Unit Model: Predator (placeholder until Commlink makes us a robot wolf)
    Unit Soundset: Raven
    Unit Type: Mechanical, Light
    Health: 125
    Health Regeneration: 0.45
    Armor: 2
    Shields: 25
    Shield Regeneration: 1
    Shield Armor: 2
    Sight Range: 10
    Detection Range: 10
    Movespeed: 2.5
    Weight Class: Light
    Backpack Size: 2, no item type restrictions
    Threat Rating: Ultra Low

Attack: Titanium Claw
    Damage: 25 + 25 vs Light
    Armor Reduction: 0.5
    Attack Speed: 0.4
    Range: 1

Attack: Turret
    Damage: 15 + 5 vs Armored
    Armor Reduction: 0.5
    Splash: 1.0
    Attack Speed: 0.5
    Range: 10, can fire on the move

Abilities
    Mechanical (Passive)
    Mechanical units are immune to ailments, but can be hacked. Hacking can result in canceled orders, freezing, and possible hijacking of the unit.

Low Profile (Passive)
    The K-9 Unit’s low profile makes it difficult to hit with gunfire, providing 50% evasion against ranged attacks.

Backpack (Passive)
    The K-9 Unit is equipped with a satchel that it can use to store and transport items, but it cannot be used while the turret is deployed. If there are items being carried when the turret is deployed, they will be dropped automatically.

Support Turret (Toggle)
    Hotkey: D
    Casting Time: 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off

The K-9 Unit is equipped with a retractable, back-mounted rifle that can be deployed to engage targets at a distance or provide covering fire. The K-9 Unit is immobile when deploying or retracting the turret.

Sprint
    Hotkey: Z
    Cooldown: 5

Increases movement speed by 35% for 10 seconds.

Jump
    Hotkey: Q
    Version: Heavy

Jumping can allow the user to vault over obstacles and descend from small cliffs without injury. Jumping from a high cliff will result in damage.

Hold Fire/Weapons Free (Toggle)
    Hotkey: F
    While Hold Fire is active, the K-9 Unit will not automatically acquire targets to attack.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Apologies if I've missed it on this thread or elsewhere on the forum, but are the Rifleman statistics going to be the same to NOTD or different?

No worries, you've got a lot of work to do so don't waste your free time making wiki pages. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be on my own making these pages.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Unit stats are the same unless otherwise noted.
  4. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

lol cool a doggy for the rotfl, seems kinda redundant tho, since we got recon. So with repulse u get the k-9 or it needs 1 tp by itself or is it a passive?
  5. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

nah you have 2 ultis now. and you can only pick one. so its either repulsel or dogtamer. same with bloodlust or nades
  6. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Well the change to focus fire has the immediate benefit of being less micro intensive for the sake of more micro. If the old/current version is still 5 energy for 5 seconds, doubling the duration means less button hammering in the name of dps. The RifleRebuild appears to be going for a more micro intensive theme, so having a very weak skill you need to be pounding the key for 24/7 would only have been a detriment. If it ends up underutilized/underpowered in its normal state (before being buffed by crifle skills) then its at least easy to buff.

Rifle Prof is decent, but nothing stellar. Exactly what an Innate skill should be, especially a passive. Its likely going to help Noobs keep ammo consumption down early, since if history shows us anything its that they will cling to their rifle for dear life (or completely not realize they can change weapons). Its interesting you have it buffing the MM rifle, since thats generally the go to "save ammo while scouting" gun. Should make Rifle that much more effective at taking out lone mobs as the team moves around the map.

Adaptive if I recall, the Rifle already has, alongside Commando (and possibly one other character). A neat skill, but given his new focus seems to be "all rifles, all the time" it seems a little contradictory to Rifle Prof. Either way, its helpful on Nightmare when theres generally more weapon swapping to conserve ammo, and it falls in line with the Rifles "jack of all trades" theme.

Critical Strike is straightforward and simple, which is exactly what you'd expect from the first skill on an entry level class. I wish the name was less generic but its difficult to come up with something that doesnt come off as cliche or uninspired. Mechanically its one of those easy to make, easy to change skills. We can expect this to be the first skill chosen by a new player about 90% of the time.

Fire Up is a neat skill. I like the concept of classes buffing their innate skills, since it allows for synergy and sets up the theme better. The Rifleman is the guy that, (wait for it), shoots rifles. So it makes sense his skills revolve around this goal (at least as a basic idea). The range buff is especially nice, given the rarity of range buffing abilities/items and how much this helps close range guns.

Weapon Proficiency has always made more sense to have on the damage side of the rifleman. It was always weird with it on the "defensive" tree, given its powerful offensive nature. Either way it falls in with the aforementioned theme of the class. It helps the Rifleman master his rifle (or any gun) and with his jack of trades general purpose dps role. Also a fairly easy skill to balance. My only complaint is for a passive, the bonus to focus fire is rather minimal. But, it didn't previously feature any damage boost, so this is a buff, albeit a minor one.

Grenade is a fan favorite, and pretty much a stable of any good shooter. At 100 damage even its level 1 version should be sufficient to cut a swath through cannon fodder zombies for minimal energy cost. Level 2 will keep it relevant on those cannon fodder enemies on high difficulties, as well as giving it the heft to wound medium strength foes. The nerf to armor targets hurts, but not many people were chucking nades at Agrons anyways. It is a bit of an annoyance against more common armored foes, like stalkers. But, there are a great deal of weapons effective against armor, with few good long range solutions against Light enemies (save for the SMG & Pulse).

The biggest change is the fuse delay. NOTDs current grenade is more or less instantaneous damage on target. This grenade is going to be lobbed (Raynors nade toss animation and all that jazz), not fired underbarrel. The timing gap is small enough that players need to put at least minimal thought into aim, but shouldnt be long enough to annoy people after they've fired about a half dozen grenades and gotten the timing down.

Hard to say which we'll see more of during protracted battles, Riflemen tossing grenades at clusters of enemies, or spamming focus fire with its various buffs. It'll likely come down to what weapons the Rifleman has at his disposal.

Bloodlust remains mostly unchanged, save for being slightly longer at a less efficient overall energy cost. But, it did lose the armor loss, which is decent. It also lose ability to buff skills, intended or not. This will hurt it slightly overall. My immediate concern is it may be too lackluster. The old version was 15 energy for 10 seconds. New version is 25 for 15. So Old version is 45 energy for 30 seconds, New version is 50 energy for 30 seconds (with loss the ability damage). Either way, its at worst only marginally underpowered, and it would be simple enough to buff bonuses, duration, reduce cost, or add something like reload time decrease. The fact you need to spam the button less may make up for all that just by giving people one less task to worry about for those extra 5 seconds.

Grenadier certainly is the more interesting of the two skills. Having 3 Grenades gives you versatility, which is the Rifleman's thing. Your normal Frag losses its fuse delay, and gains a hefty boost. Its almost effectively a Stinger shot without the fancy damage bonuses. 15 Range and no fuse delay means an observant Rifleman can drop a group of zombies before they even hit weapon range.

Impaler looks like a pretty damn powerful anti-boss ability. Its got minor splash, so it might prove effective at dealing with extremely clumped strong enemies (agron pack or hulks). But mostly it seems to be the crifles new boss hunter. Given its relatively low cost and quick cooldown, its basically AoE OSOK. I think we'll see extensive usage of this if the game is as kite heavy as I'm envisioning it to be. Either way it seems a fine addition to the Rifleman's arsenal.

Plasma Nades however are peculiar and revealing. The most immediate purpose I see is they are excellent armor debuff, leading me to believe this will play a larger role in NOTD2. -5 armor would boost a standard 15~ damage rifle by a full 30%, and this would in theory apply to every gun in the fight by varying degrees. Could have powerful synergy with the right gun or other classes if the two put their heads together. Shame it doesnt say how long the debuff lasts. The other issue is the shields. I'm seeing reduced damage to shields all over this page, then suddenly we have a +300% shield damage. This would imply this is an oddity, and there are few skills designed to be anti-shielding. Also tells me shields are intended to be "hardened" in the sense most skills (and guns?) are severely reduced against them. This in turn tells me when can expect protracted fire fights with other shielded foes, similar to Black OPs but likely on more even footing.

Overall I like Grenadier more than Bloodlust. It gives you more tools up your sleeve and reduces some of your dependence on ammo. This gives you better mileage on higher difficulties or when you cant get any luck with weapon drops. Both skills seem roughly the strength you'd expect from an entry level class. The only key piece of info I'm missing is how much, if any, friendly fire they intend to deal.

Anyways, I see Precision Shot its lost its damage bonus to massive targets. But, its gained newfound synergy with his Innate skills. Its good to see more intra-class skill synergy going on. It keeps skills from just becoming obsolete as they get better skills and gives you another level of gameplay to worry about as you combine skills for maximum effect. Gameplay wise I feel like level 1s slow is too minimal. 100 damage will more or less kill a common zombie, but nothing more. And 10% slow is very small. 15/30/45 might prove better, as its a more even distribution than doubling each level.

The only question with this skill is the synergy boost bonus. Is this 50% a 50% increase in damage from the skill, Ie, your Prec shot does 300+(300/2) or do you mean 50% increased damage from all sources? If the former, its decent not stellar. If the latter then it would provide a massive dps buff for those 5 seconds, allowing Riflemen to combine CF and PC to basically damage buff the team against targets of their choosing.

Now this I like a lot better. Crippling fire with 25% at level 3 is superior to Precision at level 2, and also lowers attack speed. If you give the Rifleman the right gun, preferably some kind of high splash fast firing one, he'll be laying down monstrous covering fire and severely hindering all enemies within. And, at no additional cost to Focus Fire. This means you could focus entirely on spamming that one skill, not wasting time, focus, and energy on a lesser secondary skill. I'm willing to bet now that 3CF/1PS becomes the normal deviation for Rifleman survival points. CF just looks much better on paper, especially since Prec lost some of its bonuses.

Despite having been moved to a Tier 2, Self Aid/Salive IV doesnt appear to have been buffed at all. It retains the same exact cost and cooldown as previously. While I see the point of not making the Rifleman totally independent of a Medic, it still seems rather lackluster. At the very least it should cost less energy given you need to first invest several talents. Given the offensive nature of the Riflemen's T1s, I can see many players skipping this skill and using heal items to cover the difference. I suppose ultimately it comes down to how much you get hit to judge a skills worth when it comes to healing. If NOTD2 is hectic and chaotic enough, any healing skill can easily become more than justified.

The fan favorite much beloved Mutalisk-Stopper 9000 makes a triumphant return, with little change. Given the Surv Rifle has more emphasis on shooting skills, less on protecting butts, this should create a better balance between laying traps and doing other stuff. Hopefully his T1s and T3s can justify themselves enough to merit their worth, as opposed to NOTD1 where he is essentially all traps all the time.

With Repulse no longer capable of stunning bosses it seems, the massive slow to heroics tells me you intend for us to do more boss kiting. Other than that the skill appears to serve its original role as an "Oh Shit Button". The ultimate get-out-of-dodge ability and very niche. Riflemen going surv should be more focused on use their earlier skills, keeping Repulse in their back pocket for the few times its needed, or for when the shit hits the fan.

Dogmeat makes his NOTD return, in Robot form now. Either way its good to see the wardog back on our side. A very versatile tool, but I am not without my concerns. K9s cooldown and cost are both enormous, which is to be expected with a minion summon. However his stats make him incredibly squishy. Only a few hits to death, and with very slow regeneration backed by fairly low armor. Given he has a melee attack with only one range, its clear in his current form he'll see little fighting this way. However he does have a fucking gun, so he's effectively a walking rifle with inventory slots now. You could just put him on a follow command and you have a self defending pack mule.

Given this units wide array of powers and skills, its tough to make a judgement call on it. Only field testing will tell us what we want to know, but I'm cautiously optimistic, given how helpful Dogmeat once was.

Overall I like the new Rifleman. From a balance standpoint it looks a bit stronger than the current version, especially with regards to Combat. Overall it seems like it'll be more fun to play, sporting more synergy and action skills. My biggest immediate concern is the rifle's energy pool. He has a rather small pool, and despite high regen it looks like the intent is for him to be spamming a few key skills for most of the game (ie, Focus Fire + Grenade/Precision Shot) saving his T3s for when needed. He may not have the energy regen to keep up with demand. Other than that he seems well rounded and likable. He might not be anyone's favorite, but he should be interesting enough no one groans when they have to play him.
    • Rainbow Sticker Rainbow Sticker x 2
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

NOTD 2 will allow access to all 15 classes in every storyline. Redundancy is bound to happen. Also:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Essentially, yes. Also throwing a bone to people who purchase the Favored Weapon for Marksman Rifle and Laser Rifle, which can push the Rifleman into more of a supporting DPS role or heavy DPS role depending on what weapon they take.

It was not necessarily implemented to make the Rifleman "all rifles, all the time". Rifle Prof. is mostly there to give the Rifleman a bit of a boost in lower level play (by buffing the player's starting weapon which, as you mentioned, newbies have a bad habit of never dropping) and higher level play/organized teams that have pre-determined class compositions (by allowing the player to choose between splash damage, ammo conservation, and high single target DPS). Adaptive remains on the Rifleman to allow them to be... well, adaptive. Sometimes, you just wanna throw an axe use a flamethrower.

I felt it was better than increased sight range, especially considering that NOTD 2 has a lot more areas that can be considered "cramped".

If it turns out to be underpowered, I will boost the duration.

Whoops. I'll update the OP with a duration. It's intended to be 10 seconds. That said, yes, you are correct. Plasma-based attacks (such as the Plasma Cannon or the Engineer's Plasma Detonator) will be gaining bonus damage versus shields, and most abilities will be getting penalties vs. shields. I'll be going into this a lot more in the Mechanical and Mercenary threads, but shields are going to be gaining damage reduction vs. ranged units to make shielded units that much more threatening.

This is another thing I will be addressing in another thread. Friendly Fire on all skills is going to be "a thing" for NOTD 2, but it's going to be strictly limited by difficulty. At this point in time, we are currently looking at 1%/15%/40%/100% for Recruit, Normal, Veteran, and Nightmare, respectively. This will go for all damage, not just abilities, to reduce TK potential and increase accessibility by new players. The ratios are not final, but you'll be hearing more about it in the next few days.

It lost its damage bonus against Massive, but gained base damage in return. Also, I think you misread something - the duration on Precision Shot's slow is 5 seconds, not 1.

It is a 50% increase to the damage dealt by Precision Shot, so 50 at Level 1, 100 at Level 2, and 150 at Level 3, respectively.

Precision Shot is mostly for taking out or stalling heavier enemies that get close to the team, such as Stalkers or Slashers.

It being moved into Tier 2 is both a buff and a nerf. While it's not available as soon as it once was, it also no longer requires a single talent point to be spent on it. Considering that it essentially replaces the Medic for a single player, I feel it is where it needs to be.

On harder difficulties, traps will toss around civilians you might be protecting and apply slows to the team, which can be rather dangerous.

I disliked that Repulse is essentially the answer to everything, especially when the Rifleman has so many slows to stack on a single target with Crippling Fire, Precision Shot, and Sonic Traps. It is my intention to lower the amount of stuns available to the players to prevent coordinated teams from turning bossfights into a stunlock party, something that is a problem in both NOTD and NOTD:AM.

I am currently considering upping the K-9's health regeneration and armor to make it resistant to smaller enemies. Additionally, something I forgot to add - the K-9 enjoys a very low threat rating, meaning that it can attack things without much trouble if there are players around.

I am currently considering re-buffing the Rifleman's energy regeneration from 1.3 to 1.5. However, I'm waiting on field testing first.
  8. ComradeHX

ComradeHX Well-Known Member

Is it possible to give Rifleman tier 3 grenades extra buffs depending on which of the three "rifle proficiency" weapon he uses?

Like how OSOK gets bonus from using barrett.

It's the future so perhaps grenade launcher isn't the same as today's concept of a standalone attachment on rifle.

So I guess friendlyfire damage for frag grenades is going away; now grenades will be what every veteran players tell newbies to never take? lol

Also, is there a change in casting animation/projectile between pre-tier3 and post-tier3 grenade?
  9. combat tree was good and apparently still good, but will grenade radius be affected by focus fire like it is now or will it stay as is with no matter what?
    survival tree has been, let's say, changed significantly. precision shot in T1 is much more useful than saline IMO it will help stun stalkers and seekers later although damage has to be tested and probably fine tuned.
    moving saline"self aid" to T2 is a stupid idea, it was considered UP before and now it is more UP even if it now cures fracture(is that cripple?). It is considered a waste in organised teams and probably in non organised teams medics can handle the case due to low difficulty. You said that it was moved to T2 to be possible to skip it,
    IMO this talent should get scrapped and adding another talent such as building a small barricade (so sonic traps push back and barricades block, i see synergy dont you?) it will need a dont deploy nearby trigger and all that and i dont see the whole terrain to see if this is game breaking.
    T3 got a nerf to armor reduction IMO, which is a bit more than the increase in damage.
    the K9 is a bit good, cant wait to see it and see how the threat rating would go.
    Finally i would like to see this in action soon and please relook in the self aid
  10. ComradeHX

ComradeHX Well-Known Member

Barricade would be too situational depending on map and potentially gamebreaking/useless.

Why not add somelike like riot shotgun or some sort of ministun-on-demand since Repulse no longer stuns or can be skipped entirely by picking the alternative. Also because shotguns do not stun anymore.
  11. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

It being moved to T2 is better than having it in T1.

Before, you were forced to take a point in it. Now, you can completely ignore it.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's possible, but it's not going to happen.

Friendly fire damage will be implemented for all skills, not just grenades.

Yes. If you look in Effects Information, you will note that the projectile and the impact change.

The grenade being buffed by Focus Fire was something of a stop-gap measure for the absence of Grenadier. Now that Grenadier is present, it no longer needs it.

Precision Shot no longer stuns. I am trying to reduce the amount of stuns available to the player to make cheesing bosses harder. That said, 450+ damage for 20 energy in addition to an enormous amount of slowing is pretty good for someone who isn't even out of Tier 1 yet.

The Survival Rifleman is the only character in the game that can handle the three major ailments all on their own while wielding significant crowd control strength and offensive power. It is considered a waste in organized teams, yes, but the fact that the Survival Rifleman can become a self sustaining character with two skill points is not underpowered in the slightest.

That will never happen, mostly because it's grandfathered in and because there's nothing actually wrong with the skill.

I am vehemently opposed to any sort of player-based barricade building. Before you bring up the Field Engineer, his towers were supposed to have their pathing footprint removed forever ago.

Again, more anti-cheese for bosses. You can turn it practically immobile by stacking Crippling Fire, Precision Shot, potentially Sonic Traps, and Repulse. I don't think armor shredding is appropriate when you can do that.

It's the same level as a Predator in NOTD.

It's not goin' anywhere. It might get a cost reduction, but that's all I'm considering.

Repulse stuns non-heroic units. For heroic units, as I mentioned before, you have Crippling Fire, Precision Shot, Sonic Traps, and Repulse's slow.
  13. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Overall, clear and looks good.

For the K9, need to ensure that the low threat rating on it mentioned above doesn't allow it to be abused as a pathing blocker in choke points. I.e. enemies should attack it if there is no alternative path to players. For smart enemies like Black Ops/bosses, they should attack it if the K9 blocks to closest path to Marines. Else it can be used to route mobs via a longer route - making kiting/fort-ing unintentionally easier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I would assume that the K9, like the predator, would not have a patching footprint and therefore be unable to block.
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Alternatively it could simply be very light weight, and easily be shoved out of the way by almost any other units. Since the robot dog is presumably dog sized, a man sized marine or zombie would have no trouble moving it. You dont see Zerglings blocking Ultralisks after all.
    • Rainbow Sticker Rainbow Sticker x 1
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The K-9 will have a very low push priority, meaning that basically anyone or anything will be able to get past it.
  17. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Kith? KITH? I like this. >Insert stamp of approval here<

My low playtime on rifleman as opposed to other classes means I don't have much background with the rifleman itself, but, it seems a decent bit has changed, while leaving most of the class the same. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure!
  18. nex_

nex_ Member

does traps sounds correct with new units mecanics ?
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Sonic Trap hotkey changed from C to H. Sonic Traps are not likely to be used very often and we're looking at using C for Jump.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Updates as of August 15th:
    • Rifle Proficiency is being removed. While neat, it's largely a gimmick that has very little impact on the game itself. Besides, I'm trying to shoot for consistency in that all classes have two innate skills. As of right now, the Rifleman is the only one who has three.
    • Focus Fire is being changed from a use/cooldown skill to a toggle that drains 1 energy per second while active.
    • Precision Shot's bonuses are being changed to "while Focus Fire is active" rather than "on stunned or slowed units".

The toggle thing is something that I pitched roughly a year ago. While it didn't go through then, I'm going to blatantly abuse my position as Lead Designer to push it through now because I still feel it needs to be done. Have some justifications:

• While some may claim that it lowers the micro requirement for the Rifleman, it does not - it simply makes it a different kind of requirement. Rather than mash it for as long as you need it, you are now required to turn it off when you don't need it so it doesn't eat your energy, giving you higher payouts for being mindful of its state - and trust me, one or two points of spare energy at the right time can make all the difference.
    • A very large amount of players that I've been demoing NOTD and NOTD 2 to have complained about the spam-heavy nature of many of the skills. This is one of the more prominent issues that I've been looking to tackle in the transition from the original to the sequel, and while I feel like I have adequately addressed the problem for most of the other classes, the Combat Rifleman is the most common first choice for everyone I've demoed.
    • Focus Fire as a toggle would make things much more newbie friendly. I've had many games where Combat Riflemen used Focus Fire once or twice and then never touched it again because either they forgot or didn't care to continue mashing the button. And if they were to simply leave it on, well, that wouldn't exactly be the worst thing in the world - it would improve their ammo efficiency dramatically and there's a pretty good chance of them not burning up their energy in the meantime because of how popular the Combat Rifleman is and how low his energy usage is (at least, until Bloodlust).
    • Full disclosure: I just don't like Focus Fire in its current state. But at least I'm willing to admit the personal bias is there rather than glossing over it.

Anyways, that's the haps.

Also wow I really need to redo that post. Arcane got me all hopped up on his formatting and now everything that isn't in that style looks ugly as sin.
    • Winner Winner x 1