NOTD 2: The Psi Ops

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So! The Psi Ops. Neato burrito spicy meato. The trees are designed around the concepts of the “classic” mind powers – being able to move things with your mind and being able to influence others with your mind. A lot of stuff has been shuffled around and some abilities have been cut, but I feel like her overall purpose and impact remains the same while granting her new and interesting tools to make use of. Also, she inherited Look!

Class Name: Psi Ops
    Class Biography: Elite soldiers possessing psychic powers that can manipulate energy or confound the enemy with illusions.
    Weight Category: Light
    Class Soundset: Sarah Kerrigan (Placeholder)

INNATES
    Ability Name:
    Thought Process
    Ability Button Description:
    The Psi Ops' abilities have no cooldown and do not interrupt movement.
    Effect:
    See button description.

Ability Name: Mind’s Eye
    The Psi Ops is immune to Blindness.
    Effect:
    See button description.

TELEKINESIS
    Moving things with your mind.

TIER 1
    Ability Name:
    Disperse
    Ability Description:
    Deal damage and knock back units in the target area.

Level 1: Deals 50 damage and knocks back units in a 2.5 radius area.
    Level 2: Deals 100 damage and knocks back units in a 3.0 radius area.
    Level 3: Deals 150 damage and knocks back units in a 3.5 radius area.

“This way!”
    Deal 50/100/150 damage and knock back all units within a 2.5/3/3.5 radius.

Disperse can damage allies.
    Ability Cost: 10 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: None
    Ability Filters: Air, Ground
    Ability Range: 10
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Units are knocked back a distance of 3. Knockback is directional and applied relative to the Psi Ops. Can throw around items, but cannot damage them.
    Transient: Yes
    Hotkey: Q

Ability Name: Converge
    Ability Description:
    Deal damage and pull units to the center of the target area.

Level 1: Deals 50 damage and pulls units in a 2.5 radius area.
    Level 2: Deals 100 damage and pulls units in a 3.0 radius area.
    Level 3: Deals 150 damage and pulls units in a 3.5 radius area.

“No, that way!”
    Deal 50/100/150 damage and pull all units within a 2.5/3/3.5 radius.

Converge can damage allies.
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Units are pulled to the center of the effect area. Can throw around items, but cannot damage them.
    Hotkey: W

TIER 2
    Ability Name:
    Shackles
    Ability Description:
    Hold all units within the target area in place. Disperse and Converge deal bonus damage to Shackled units, but do not move them.

Level 1: Snares units within a 2.5 radius for 4 seconds.
    Level 2: Radius increased to 3.5 and duration increased to 8 seconds.

“It's a lot easier to hit a target that can't move.”
    Snare all units in a 2.5/3.5 radius for 4/8 seconds. Flying units are forced to the ground and can be attacked as ground units while snared.

Shackles can affect allies.
    Ability Cost: 20 Energy
    Effect:
    See button description. Snared units can still attack units within range, they just can't move. Disperse and Converge do not move units under the effect of Shackles. Disperse and Converge deal 50% additional
    Hotkey: T

Ability Name: Levitate
    Ability Description:
    Grabs the target unit or object and levitates it in front of the Psi Ops.

Level 1: Target non-massive unit is held and cannot take actions.
    Level 2: Units can be thrown by Disperse or Converge and holding units takes less energy.

“Grab something and put it to use, it's that easy.”
    (Toggle ON)
    Grab the target unit and levitate it in front of the Psi Ops. While levitated, the unit cannot take any action.

Levitate can affect allies.
    (Toggle OFF)
    Drop the currently held unit.
    Ability Cost: 10 Energy (initial cast), 1.5/0.75 Energy drained per second while holding something
    Effect:
    Units grabbed by the Psi Ops cannot take any action. Unlike the original Gravity Gun Grab, Levitate does not alter alliances. If the unit dies (or, in an item's case, is picked up by a player), the effect ends automatically. The Psi Ops cannot drop units over cliffs, if the Psi Ops drops a unit it will be placed next to the Psi Ops.

For Level 2, if the player uses Converge or Disperse, the held unit is propelled towards the target location at high speed. On impact, it and all units within a 3.0 radius take 200 damage.
    Hotkey: H

TIER 3
    Ability Name:
    Psionic Tempest
    Ability Description:
    Cause a localized storm of psychic energy that deals damage over time.

Level 1: Deals 50 damage per 0.5 seconds in a radius of 4.

“And if I swear - if I hear you call it a "brain storm"? I will cut you.”
    (Toggle ON)
    Deals 50 damage per 0.5 seconds to all units in a radius of 4. Drains 2 Energy per second while active.

Psionic Tempest can damage allies.
    (Toggle OFF)
    End the Psionic Tempest and stop draining energy.
    Ability Cost: 30 Energy (initial cast), drains 2 Energy per second
    Ability Filters: Ground, Air
    Ability Range: 7
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Psionic Tempest ends automatically if the Psi Ops moves more than 10 distance away from it.
    Hotkey: G

Ability Name: Teleport
    Ability Description:
    Instantly re-position the targeted units to the desired location.

Level 1: Mark all units within a 2.5 radius and then teleport them to the chosen location.

“The ultimate expression of mind over matter.”
    (Initial ability, aka marking phase)
    Mark all units within a 2.5 radius to be teleported.

Teleport can affect allies.
    (Secondary ability, aka targeting phase)
    Teleport all marked units to the target location.
    Ability Cost: 30 Energy (for both phases)
    Ability Range: 15
    Effect:
    See Button Description. If all marked units die before the Psi Ops teleports them, the ability reverts to its initial form.

TELEPATHY
    Influencing the perceptions of others for shits and giggles.

TIER 1
    Ability Name:
    Blind
    Ability Description:
    Cause all units within a large radius to miss all attacks for a duration.

Level 1: Blind effect lasts for 3 seconds.
    Level 2: Blind effect lasts for 6 seconds.
    Level 3: Blind effect lasts for 9 seconds.

“Peekaboo just got real.”
    Cause all units within a 4 radius to miss all attacks for 3/6/9 seconds.

Blind can affect allies.
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Hotkey: F

Ability Name: Scapegoat
    Ability Description:
    Cause all enemies in an area to turn their attentions to the target unit.

Level 1: Enemies within a 2.0 radius stare at the target for 2 seconds.
    Level 2: Enemies attack the target after staring until it dies.
    Level 3: Radius increased to 4.0.

“Complex ideas don’t translate, so dump all your hate on something and broadcast it.”
    Enemies within a 2.0/4.0 radius stare at the target for 2 seconds. /After staring, they will attack the target until it dies.

Allies can be targeted by Scapegoat, but are not affected by it.
    Ability Cost: 40 Energy
    Effect:
    See Button Description. The targeted unit is not stunned/does not exhibit the stare behavior.
    Hotkey: H

TIER 2
    Ability Name:
    Silence
    Ability Description:
    Prevent all units within an area from using abilities for a duration.

Level 1: Disables ability use for 10 seconds.
    Level 2: Affected units lose 5 Energy per second while disabled.

“Hush.”
    Prevents all units in a 4.0 radius from using abilities for 10 seconds. /Units lose 5 Energy per second while under the effect of Silence.

Silence can affect allies.
    Ability Cost: 20 Energy
    Effect: See Button Description.
    Hotkey: V

Ability Name: Guilt
    Ability Description:
    Projects illusions of familiarity onto teammates, causing enemies to be more hesitant to attack.

Level 1: Lowers the attack speed of all enemy units by 5%.
    Level 2: Lowers the attack speed of all enemy units by 10%.

“It’s a lot harder to shoot someone in the face when their face suddenly looks like your grandmother’s.”
    Effect:
    Global debuff/upgrade that lowers the attack speed of all enemies by 5%/10%. If the Psi Ops dies, the effect ends/the upgrade is reverted.

TIER 3
    Ability Name:
    Berserk
    Ability Description:
    Fill the target unit with violent bloodlust, causing them to deal bonus damage but take additional damage.

Level 1: Target unit deals 50% increased Weapon Damage but takes 50% additional damage for 10 seconds.

“When you're that angry, you forget to look after yourself.”
    Increase the target unit's Weapon Damage by 50%, but cause them to take 50% increased damage for 10 seconds.

Berserk can be cast on allies.
    Ability Cost: 25 Energy
    Effect:
    See Button Description.

Ability Name: Visions
    Ability Description:
    Create a illusory copy of the target unit for 120 seconds.

Level 1: Illusions have 300 hitpoints and can mimic attacking, but deal no damage.

“You just got TRICKED!”
    Create an illusion copy of the target unit. Illusions have 300 hitpoints and last for 120 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 15 Energy
    Effect: See Button Description.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  2. CaptainKaos

CaptainKaos Member

nice, i really like the look of pandoras box, use and theres instantly a brawl :D, psi ops looks like a great class, can't wait to see how it works out
  3. squish

squish Well-Known Member

How does mind flare even work? Not very detailed here. How does one "cast" it? Yeah it's a charge. Is there a cap to how much energy?

MOTM does issue overriding commands.

Edit: Not sure I agree with the way mindflare is done to begin with. It may be possible to combine a whole lotta shit for a whole lotta energy regen to just outregen the drain and drop a fuck you on something.

With all rewards revealed as they are and assuming the arc stacks like it does now, with its notd 2 stats, po energy regen not accounting for bo insignia can top at 2.1734 or whereabouts.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'unno, I thought it was pretty clear. First press of the button starts charging the ability, second press of the button actually casts it.

Keep in mind I've been out of the NOTD game for about two years now aside from some "Assaults-in-odd-places" runs. I don't have the time or the will to keep track of every class's implementations or fixes.

The arc reactor (now the Power Generator Augment) does not stack with itself. That said, I kinda screwed up (blame the early morning posting) - it's 1% per second, not 1% per point of energy. Even if the Psi Ops manages to handily abuse all of the bonus energy/energy regeneration that the player can get their hands on and flawlessly executes the attack, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of double damage and that isn't really that impressive comparatively. 6,000 sounds like a lot, but the Demo's Satchel can drop 5,000 in a larger area without as much fuss.
  5. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

I feel as though mind meld would reduce energy faster if the target were considered massive. Unless their brains do not scale up, in which case...
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Does Psychic Echoes cause friendly-fire? Seems pretty useless for everything except your T3 and Mental Blades. It does however make Brainstorm seem bullshit overpowered - just 1 second of brainstorm on 10 enemies closely grouped together would deal 2 (damage procs of Psionic Tempest) * (50 (Tempest Damage) + 40%(Echoes) * 10 (Number of enemies) * 50 (Tempest Damage)) [Roughly 500 damage each]if I understood
    correctly. Because each one would get its own 1.5 radius 40% Psychic Echoes damage effect from Tempest.

On the other hand, does telepathy actually translate well against the Mech faction? Cloak of Fear, Scapegoat, Guilt and Pandora's Box don't seem like they would be able to affect non-biological enemies, though I can sort of make sense of how it could work out.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Considering that the enemies that it works on are "simple minded" thanks to the infestation, no, their brains do not scale up. I'm not sure how I'm going to justify it working on mechs, but it will.

Yes it does.

It's not as useful on Force Push or Force Press because of their lower base damages, but 40% is 40%. Snaring a ton of enemies at once can save you casts of Mental Blades, which means less potential for friendly fire and less energy spent.

Yep! It will be really, really nasty against mobs. It will also be nasty to your energy. 50 initial cost plus 5 energy per second means you'll be burning energy pretty fast, and then you'll have to eat a 2 minute cooldown. Using it effectively is going to be rather tricky.

Mechs are going to be dicks to everyone, not just the Psi Ops. That said, yes - they will work against Mechs as long as the Mechs are not being buffed by certain effects.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  8. Arturia

Wait, does that mean Psychic Echoes also applies the debuff in addition to the bonus damage to enemies in the secondary AoE?

Thinking about it, Psychic Echoes in conjunction with any of the T3's seems pretty damn powerful - A flash cast of Mindflare into a group of enemies would utterly annihilate them. Now I'm curious how high the friendly fire damage % is on it and how it would work with explosives, if at all.
  9. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Overall neat and cohesive ideas. Some specific feedback below:

1. Blockade - For the Level 2 effect, if a player is in a 2x2 or smaller chokepoint, the ability should allow the player to seal off that area. Otherwise, a standard 3x3 block may not be placable in that situation. Can turn Blockade into an ignore pathing object just in case.
    2. Mind Meld - May put a note on description saying that if Psi Ops' Energy reaches 0, units will no longer be under Psi Ops' control.
    3. Pandora's Box - May increase the ability range from 10 to 15. This will make it more useful against ranged enemies like Mercenaries.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

No, Psychic Echoes is just the damage.

Psychic Echoes is intended to be very powerful against groups, yes. However, it does not work with anything but Mental Blades, Force Push, Force Press, Psionic Tempest, and Mindflare.

It's basically a direct rip of the Protoss Sentry's Force Field ability, which does not have a placement requirement as far as I know.

Nah, Mind Melded units are permanent. If the Psi Ops ends up taking over more than they can handle, they can kill off excess units or just dedicate their contribution to being the zookeeper - something that many Field Engineers do already.

I deliberately kept the range low for this very reason, actually. Most mercenaries are going to make use of the high ground, and a Mobcon can Escape a Psi Ops into range rather easily or an Assault can draw fire or any number of other tactics to get the Psi Ops close enough. Pandora's Box is essentially an "I win" button against advanced enemies, so I want to make it somewhat difficult to use for that purpose, even if it is a Tier 3.
  11. Arturia

What I meant was, does Mindflare trigger explosives? If so, how much damage does it deal to the explosives? Because the damage from Mindflare (if it detonates explosives) would then proc Psychic Echoes to deal damage based upon that fact.

In short, can we artificially create a "group" of units to boost Mindflare's damage via Psychic Echoes by using Mini's, Explosives, Items, or other player-created units?
  12. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

You know, I initially misread Pandora's Box as affecting a 4 radius AROUND the PO instead of being a 4 radius casted AOE and wondered why a T3 is so stupidly underpowered. Now that I've stopped being retarded and actually read properly, it looks good. Overall, the trees look decently useful. Also, PO is now Toss sentry with forcefields and illusions, just needs bubble.

Lore-wise, telepathy is weird with stuff like Guilt and Fear affecting mindless zombies. :p But gameplay and story segregation, I guess. I will miss stuff like Speed of Thought's and Mindlink's utility though.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

... You know, I don't know if Mindflare triggers explosives. I completely forgot about them. After the feedback, I may revise Mindflare. Or maybe Echoes. One of the two.

I'm amused you're worried about the mindless zombies and not the robots. That said, glad you like it.
  14. squish

squish Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

'cause the problem is when they're both active. After some additional math, Echoes can cause Tempest to be a little too up there in damage as well, so Echoes is probably what I'm going to be fiddling with.
  16. squish

squish Well-Known Member

So, you're effectively worried about a Tier 3 getting to 140 DPS? That's basically what that amounts to. Now, if the effect does chain reaction damage, like if Echoes can proc itself, then yeah.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'm more worried about Echoes becoming too important to skip, similar to the (now cut) Marksman ability Efficiency, which lowered ability cooldowns to much more manageable levels. I'm probably going to end up increasing the base damage of the non Tier 3 skills, fiddling with the Tier 3 costs/impacts, and making the splash effect for Echoes target-exclusive so it's not just a flat 20%/40% damage boost to all abilities.
  18. squish

squish Well-Known Member

How about a replacement?

Catalyst: Units killed by blades, catalyst, tempest, or mindflare build up with energy for 3 seconds, and explode, dealing 100/200 damage in 2 radius. Catalyst killing units will begin the chain again. Friendly fire possible.

50 energy to activate, 1 minute duration (buff on psi ops), 3 minute cooldown.

The way I intend for this to work, is you hit catalyst, you kill something with blades, flare, or tempest, 3 seconds later, it explodes. Enemies killed by catalyst explosion also spread catalyst.This goes on for up to a minute. Then all catalyst spread stops.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Too similar to the nanomed's VI. It's also not very clear where this would go, and I'm not a fan of it being in Tier 2 OR Tier 3. I don't like giving characters more than three castable abilities in Tier 1 + Tier 2 and "Mass VI" doesn't sound compelling enough for a Tier 3.
  20. squish

squish Well-Known Member

In what way is it similar to the nanomed's VI?
    The only similarity here is the damage it deals, and the AoE; which this spreads further out than VI by nature of it being able to mop the floor with an entire horde, because this spreads out while VI doesn't, on top of being risky, because if that horde is in your team's shit, it will wipe the floor with your team too.