NOTD 2: The Pathfinder

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Dec 1, 2014.

1. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

IMO, in lower difficulties game, so-so; but in nightmare and above, heck no. NOTD1 is the living proof where pistolfinder only eat more ammo than he can kill. Since Pistolfinder in NOTD2 lost all the passive bonuses for pistol, I doubt his bossfight ability will be lesser than his crowd control ability, as par as in NOTD1.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Code:
    YE OLDE PATHFINDER, NON-T3
    DPS bonus: 30% damage increase from Handgun Expertise (assuming no Weapon Mods) + 20% bonus damage from Shoot to Maim = 50% sustainable damage bonus
    Misc: Fast Five difficult to calculate due to implementation but it's pretty "up there", bounce attacks

YE OLDE PATHFINDER, POST-T3
    DPS bonus: 45% damage increase from Handgun Expertise (assuming no Weapon Mods) + 30% bonus damage from Shoot to Maim = 75% sustainable damage bonus
    Misc: Fast Five difficult to calculate due to implementation but it's pretty "up there", bounce attacks 

YE NEWE PATHFINDER, NON-T3
    DPS bonus: 45% (Pepper Steak, requires opposite weapon damage), 40% (Clockwork, requires manual reload) = 85% sustainable bonus DPS
    Misc: +50% damage (Front Gate, one shot), 351 base damage/single target Thousand Ants (ammo reliant)
    New Pathfinder will have performance comparable to the current Post-T3 Pathfinder without even getting into Tier 3 abilities, plus a bunch of other effectiveness shoveled in thanks to the existence of the Sidearm buffs. Additionally, NOTD 2's enemies are going to be very different from NOTD's - there will be far less Agrons, for instance - so try to keep that in mind when attempting to figure the impact of the class.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Also, changelog as of December 15:
    Pathfinder's Shield Armor has been increased to 4.
    An addition to the Ultra Light weight class has been made, increasing the rating loss from getting hit through shields from 0 to 0.5.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

It's "þe", not "ye". "Ye" is the old English equivalent of the French "vous" and does not mean "the". Thorn (þ) and Y looked similar on old signs so the misconception was born.

That said, don't try comparing NOTD 1 performance to speculation on NOTD 2. Unless you want to do the math, the only way to really check out the Pathfinder's performance is to wait until it is added.
    • Butt Butt x 1
  5. Slipt

Slipt New Member

The jumper class fights by getting REALLY close. Without evasion buff I foresee it being seriously difficult to even engage mobs with ranged enemies mixed in (think dome A). Because of the shield hits thing, you're going to take hits, potentially a lot of them, in the regular course of engagement. The only invulnerability I see mentioned is from the "nuke" that is no quarter, which takes 5 seconds to land, with eternal c/d, which isn't a solution. If I was a jumper, every time a clump of ranged enemies approached, the only recourse would be to use your no-quarter (if you have it) or just run away. This is assuming your "ultra-lite scout" isn't carting around a relatively giant assault/sniper rifle, which doesn't jive. Or if you're in a hold-out, "wait, there's an infested marine," and I'm sitting out the fight until it's dead.
    About clockwork...you're spending a precious skill point to add a penalty? Ok, I admit it, even trying I end up missing 25% of my reloads. Stupid T.
    Could you explain the name "front gate?"
    Massive props on your clever flavor texts!
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

NOTD 2 does not feature ranged infested, and for the handful of ranged enemies that will be present, the Pathfinder will have 100% weapon evasion during the jump itself. This means that you will be able to get the drop on what mercenaries that appear and possibly rush them. You will not, however, be able to dodge nukes by hopping at the right time.

See above.

Also see above.

The Pistol has an absurdly short reload, so I'm not too worried about adding a second or two to its duration to balance out the fact you can get a 50% damage bonus for hitting your reloads on time. For reference of scale, 50% bonus damage is equal to half of the Rifleman's Bloodlust ability (the other half gives 50% increased attack speed). I'd make that trade for sure, especially considering that Clockwork takes no energy to activate.

Also, if you hate T being reload, good news! It's looking pretty likely that Reload will be changed to R in the not too distant future.

Sure.

I try.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Updates:
    • Energy costs have been rebalanced to fit the new standard.
    • The Pathfinder has lost their special Jump innate.
    • Gunslinger Pathfinder's taste in music has shifted away from obscure indie games and towards the Beatles, completely redoing the entire skillset.
    • Pepper Steak has turned into Come Together. Nothing has changed stat-wise.
    • Clockwork became Twist and Shout, moving to Tier 1 and gaining bonuses dependent on the reload made.
    • Thousand Ants has been replaced by Helter Skelter, an ability that increases autoattack speed based on right-clicking.
    • Front Gate has been replaced by Every Little Thing, an upgrade that has unique effects based on the Sidearm equipped.
    • Not Safe has been combined with Thousand Ants and made into Here Comes The Sun.
    • Avatar Beat has been replaced by Hello, Goodbye which applies unique upgrades based on the type of Sidearm equipped.
    • Rocketeer Pathfinder's love for Led Zeppelin has become more apparent, also seeing an overhaul.
    • Assault Jump has been renamed Rock and Roll. It has lost its knockback effect, but also had its cooldown reduced.
    • Ramble On has been remade into a Jump upgrade.
    • Hot Dog has been replaced by Rover, which increases the damage of Rock and Roll when scoring a direct hit.
    • Ozone Baby has been replaced by All My Love, which is a knockback ability centered on the Pathfinder.
    • No Quarter's possible damage has been increased, but the falloff factor for the damage and stun has been increased significantly to compensate.
    • No Quarter's controls have been clarified in light of Heroes of the Storm releasing Johanna, whose Falling Sword was basically what I had in mind for its control factor.
    • Dancing Days has been replaced by Night Flight, an ability that allows the Pathfinder to convert to a flying unit while active.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Does Helter Skelter have a cap on that bonus speed?
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's got a cooldown to prevent Macros from working, but no, not really.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Changes look good. One Q on Ramble On:

Level 2: Perfect weapon evasion while in midair.

Can the Pathfinder still be targeted by enemy abilities then?
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Or damaged by their splash, yes. The Pathfinder will be able to dodge a bullet or a claw, but not an explosion.