NOTD 2 SUGGESTION BOX

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by SEEKRIT AGENT OTIS!!!, Jan 16, 2014.

1. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Didn't you proclaim tremendous and vitriolistic hate for cacumen in UA3?
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

The problem with Cacumen is that it is impossible to see him if he is behind a los blocker. And that fucker is huge. A tree will block a skyscraper in UA3.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

There is an enormous difference between "making an enormously durable one-hit-kill boss that can invalidate any terrain advantage you have and is faster than you" and "making an enormously durable one-hit-kill boss that can invalidate any terrain advantage you have but can be outrun". Also, as Stereo pointed out, NOTD 2 lacks the unreasonably huge amount of non-removable sight blockers that UA3 features. There will eventually be sight blockers added, but they will all be destructable.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Member

cacumen is like one of the final bosses at about 100 minutes in the game

difference is the 12 players and revival in Undead Assault to let the team prepare
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

And yet, despite these advantages, UA3 still has a large population of bullshit bosses.
  6. squish

squish Well-Known Member

It's not even the bosses that're the problem. The problem is the trash mobs that you can't really prepare for, unlike bosses which are predictable.
  7. Obama

Obama New Member

Cacumen "is faster than you" ... facepalm*. Any dolt that can hit zt (sprint) and zq (jump) + have a little ms bonus can outrun cacu, so I guess you don't know how to do this? And you fail to identify that there is only truly 1 bs boss in the UA universe which is minvera, with ~3+ ms, jump, and sprint, that bastard is never far away from you. You could also add thresher maws to that list but they don't give me a whole lot of problems, and the only time they really gave me problems was when one mutated on me, and i still outran it for a good ~7 minutes.

"non-removable sight blockers" those make recon important, making the game more team/strategy based and not just brute force. If you go brute force you're gonna have a bad time.

Soooooo cacumen isn't a problem but risen are? yep, sounds legit.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Did you register an account solely to defend UA3 and sound haughty or are you here to actually discuss NOTD? As it stands, this thread is veering off topic and will likely be split into yet another QQ thread.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Of course I know how to sprint and jump. I also know that if you jump wrong, the game outright kills you. I've tried outrunning Cacumen as a fully leveled VT Cav Scout and you just run out of energy after a time. If you're the only one left, unless you have a stun, you're fucked.

Minerva and Ares do not have nearly as much health or damage as Cacumen does. Thresher Maws at least can be kited because their turn speed is terrible - I will give credit that they are clever, because there are no enemies that I am aware of that require a specific movement pattern to kite.

I hope you realize how stupid it is that a 15 foot tree can hide a 100 foot monster. I also hope you realize how stupid it is that said trees cannot be destroyed despite the presence of explosives, flamethrowers, artillery, and a variety of other options that would at the very least remove the foliage of the tree, if not the entire tree itself. TRD has destructable trees, UA3 has no excuse.

Not my post, but no, Risen are not actually that much of a problem. Hit them with explosives and move on with life. They're not that fast and they bunch up often - even a Rifleman can handle them easily.

Anyways, I feel I should echo Blaqk's sentiment - unless I missed something, the only reason you're here is to argue about how wrong we are on a forum for an entirely separate game. If you want to argue about or discuss UA3, make a thread about it in the Other Games section of the forum. That's what it's there for. Any further posts in this thread about UA3 will be deleted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Kith edit: UA3 stuff can go in a UA3 thread.

How will sight blocker destruction be done? A pool of health to be used? Or...?

If HP is how it's done, do you have an idea of what it's going to take to eliminate it? Other than just "Explosives" of course.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  11. ozzy

ozzy Member

buildings can have hp
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Sight blockers will be buildings, some cars, and other misc objects. I'm going to try to keep them somewhat scarce to reduce lag as much as possible - there should only be about 100 to 200 present in any given game.

As for damaging and eliminating them, for the most part they will require explosives to clear out. Cars will be able to be shot at and will have a chance of catching on fire per attack on certain health thresholds. Once a car has caught on fire, they will explode if left to burn. Wrecked cars will smoke briefly (blocking vision) and then remain as wrecks, which will then require explosives to dispose of but not block vision.

At least, that's the plan.
  13. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Going to address two things

1) Inventory and Numpad. How SC2 inventory works is there is 6 inventory "slots" possible. Numpad will activate items in each slot. However this assumes you will ONLY use 6 slots, and never more. If you wish to use more, you create Item Containers, which can then be assigned to each slot. Once you do this, the using numpad opens and closes that container. Each container can have up to 64 "slots" for items, thereby expanding the possible items carried by players up to 6 * 64.

Given this, I am exploring the possibility of tying other hotkeys to specific inventory slots inside the bag, so that the player can do this anyhow. This may require some player interaction, since by default the numpad map to the Inventory "slots" and thereby open and close the inventory slots. Right now triggers open and close inventories, the actual buttons are hidden off screen.

2) Destructible stuff. Yes they will simply be units that will ignore most damage and either morph or do other fun things to apply the various settings Kith desires (footprints are amazing fun things). We do plan on introducing various environmental stuff, like sounds, and lights and other things to increase the ambient atmosphere. Some things will be dependent on side missions.
  14. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Okay. What about using cars as makeshift explosives to dispatch enemies?

Will it be possible to extinguish flaming vehicles?

Will splash damage from weapons firing at nearby enemies set the cars on fire?
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Not a fan of the idea. I am considering making burning cars deal damage to nearby units, though.

Short of destroying them, no.

I don't actually know. I'm debating on making them immune to splash damage from weapons that aren't the Flamethrower or a Special Weapon.
  16. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Uhm. I'm certain that a car exploding near you would suck. Shrapnel and all that turning someone into ribbons.

Okay.

I'd think that multiple repeated hits from a heavy mg or an AMR would destroy a car. Another explosive almost certainly.
  17. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Well, a car doesn't necessarily explode from an AMR of HMG if all you hit is the cab. Perhaps they would initiate burning if you score a critical hit on them?
  18. squish

squish Well-Known Member

In this context, an AMR or an HMG can be taken to mean it's using .50 caliber ammo or higher.

This round penetrates the target, explodes, and burns thereafter. It's called a Raufoss round.
    Spoiler contains video. Potentially NSFW.
    Show Spoiler

Consider for a moment, the fact that you can load that round into any weapon that fires .50 BMG.

Then consider that you can fire this round into jet fuel storage and cause it to explode.

I believe that'd have no issue setting a car's upholstery on fire. Or the engine block. Or the fuel tank. Or any number of things.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  19. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Now that I think about this, we're 100 some years in the future right? I'd imagine cars don't behave the same way as they do now, including bullets. We can discuss this and literally come out with nothing. Because future.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Destroy, yes. Explode, no. Not only is it a lot harder to explode a car with a gun than a lot of people think, it also takes very specific circumstances (which almost always involves special ammunition that the players most certainly won't have). Additionally, as Stereo pointed out, this is the future! Vehicular safety has progressed a bit because, as always, liability isn't something manufacturers want on their hands. However, even if the cars were battery powered, there's still a pretty good chance that pumping it full of bullets will nick the right thing at the right time and set it on fire, especially because UGC Ammunition Projectiles are just the solid stage of the combustible ferrofluid that the UGC to make their adaptable caseless ammunition. And it's a videogame.

So!

You'll be able to set them on fire and wreck them if you shoot them enough. Wrecking a car means that it'll be harder to move and usually means it won't block your vision if it was, at one point, tall. The "harder to move" thing will become important for fighting mechs and a handful of other jerks. Blowing it up with explosives will progress it directly to "wrecked" stage or destroy it entirely if enough damage was done.

"Car Bombs" will be a "feature" of fighting one of the mercenary companies.