Unimplemented NOTD 2: Stats

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

The major problem with NOTD's Stat system is that, the longer you played, the more Stat points you accumulated and the more powerful you got with no drawback to compensate. I think that's more than a little goofy, so Stats are getting overhauled instead of the original concept where they just got upgraded.

This For That
    The basis of the new Stat system revolves around the concept of taking from one area to improve another - if you want to improve a parameter, you must first incur a penalty in another.

Case-By-Case Customization
    Each stat loadout will be specific to the class you apply them to, so you won't have to re-assign points in-between games if you're switching classes.

Cut My Life Into Pieces
    The new system will allow players to not only sacrifice Extra Lives to increase other parameters, but they will be able to sacrifice other parameters to gain additional Extra Lives if they so choose. Unlike other Stat categories, Extra Lives are worth two Stat points instead of one, so while the player may sacrifice their three default Extra Lives for up to six points to place in Stats, the player must also spend two points to increase their Extra Life count.

Stats And Their Effects
    The values in each category designate how much the Stat will affect the character's parameters, either increasing or decreasing the stated parameter by the listed amount. Each category can be decreased or increased up to three times.

Health: 25 Maximum Health
    Shields: 10 Maximum Shields
    Endurance: 0.001 Weight Tolerance
    Agility: 0.1 Movement Speed
    Intelligence: 0.1 Energy Regeneration
    Perception: 1 Detection Radius
    Accuracy: 5% Attack Speed
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Sounds good and agree.

Since stats are class-specific, one area to consider is that the 'Accuracy' stat seems too good to pass up for a Marksman in most cases. Likewise, a Medic may more often sacrifice Perception for Intelligence (more value here for that class, especially if you're primarily going healer tree).
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Most stats are like that, and that's no accident. Certain upgrades are going to be more desirable on certain characters for the sake of maximizing efficiency, so I just... let it happen. Do you feel that things should be different?
  4. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Is Health supposed to be a new stat? (Mandos rejoice?) [Will health give MAMandos +1 health for each point in it? Or are you still behind MAMandos having no HP buffs?]

For Toughness, what happens with classes that have less than 10 shields? Can they stack it to -3 with no effect, or will some classes be unable to reduce stats due to going negative? (I am looking at you Techie and UAV.)

RIP Luck. What was the thought process for removing Luck? (Was it too difficult to balance with giving it a boost, or just thought a free level and life weren't worth it for players, in the long run, to put it into the stat?)

Why put in Armor? What merited adding armor, but cutting Luck? (Also, why not call it toughness? Toughness sounds like it would grant HP/armor.)

Toughness is a weird name for giving a shield granting boost. As much as I would love to give a suggestion, that I, a forumite, think is much better, I am at a loss for words and will remain content with saying, "It just doesn't fit it very well."

I don't see Perception being used at all. NVGs not only grants more vision, they also grant detection without needing to sacrifice anything. Why not have it grant +1 vision? Or Crit chance? (Unless NVG is getting nerft?)

At this point, why not call them character modifications? These resembles "stats" less than they did in their previous incarnation and are modifications for our characters.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

All of the categories are technically new stats. That said, Midnight Animal users will still be restricted to one whole hitpoint.

Dunno. Toughness might not even be available for those characters.

Luck was planned to be added because people desperately wanted me to add in Double Talents and a method of gaining Extra Lives. I never liked Double Talents and the new system allows for a non-random method of players getting additional Extra Lives, so it was scrapped.

'cause I like Armor.

Agreed. However, I can't think of anything better at the moment, so Toughness is what it's staying.

NVGs will be strictly a cosmetic feature in the not too distant future. All classes have a default Detection radius of 4, except for the Marksman who is weird and has global detection. Marksman is getting overhauled (again) though, so I'm not worried about that discrepancy at this point in time.

Because they modify the player's stats.
  6. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

I mean, if we have Armor, why not just call it Shields? Or is that 3str95ward??
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Rename 'Toughness' stats to 'Shields', similar to how there's a stat called 'Health'. Keeps it simple and consistent.

Am fine with the current stat mechanics, as long as we're able to give players enough viable types of builds. Else, many pub games may turn into vets calling a Marksman player noob if they don't stat Accuracy, for instance, because 'that's the best way to play'.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

'kay.

I can't imagine people getting upset over a 15% difference in attack speed, but I'll figure something out if it becomes a problem.
  9. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Will it be extra hackable for me?

:p
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Technically, yes. However, hacking will be less viable overall because hacking won't give you significant advantages like it used to.
  11. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Pets are getting nuked as a system, so their "sacrifice for stat points" thing has been moved to Extra Lives.