Partially Implemented NOTD 2: Rating and You

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So upon testing, it has been determined that it's basically impossible to earn rating as anything but a tank in Recruit mode. While that may sit well with some, that doesn't sit well with me, because Recruit is going to be somewhat challenging. So!

• Recruit Rating Gain per XP will be increased from 0.25 to 1.
    • Normal Rating Gain per XP will be increased from 0.5 to 1.5.
    • Nightmare Rating Gain per XP will be increased from 1 to 2.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Changelog:
    • Rating re-calculating when players die has been removed.
    • If a player is the last one to die in a match, they will not lose rating for dying. This death immunity goes for solo players as well.
    • Rating benefits have been overhauled.
    • Low rating will make Extra Lives heal more and provide the player with bonus movement speed while they're healing.
    • High rating will provide bonus Rank Experience and allow the player to enter Ranked matches if they choose.
  3. stanK

stanK Member

In NOTD1 NPC's have terrible terrible AI:
    1. They whore too much XP early on
    2. They shoot infestors, spawning banelings. Very unwelcome banelings in some cases
    3. They run into nukes at random
    4. When damaged they "run away" into more enemies, often leading mini-medics with them to certain doom
    5. They facetank beastlings splash-killing lower health teammates
    A simple solution was to just kill them in such situations, and let them live in others. Though NOTD2 has different balance and these particular things are probably non-issues in NOTD2, consider leaving players with the option to defend themselves against VERY dumb AI.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

All experience is shared globally, so that won't be "a thing".
    There's only one Infestor this time around and she doesn't poop banelings.
    The majority of NOTD 2's NPCs will not be the "randomly wandering" kind. For those that are, don't hit them with your explosives.
    Unlikely to be an issue.
    Might still be a problem, but hey! Learn how to focus fire and crowd control and you'll be just ducky.
    Nah. I don't care how "annoying" NPC AI may be, I'm not going to let players kill them with no ramifications.
  5. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I seem to recall you stating that you wanted to reduce the effect of "dumb luck" ruining a game.
    This seems like dumb luck ruining my game to me. If I'm in a shitty situation going south fast, I don't want to flip a nuke or something similar and lose 15 rating for each dumb fucking mini I kill that can't run.

Shit happens, and we call that dumb luck. Being punished for a high blast radius explosive going off with relation to a horde situation spiraling out of control smells like bullshit.

Statements like this incentivize your playerbase to not play your game, no matter how polished it is. People on the internet are very fickle. I've witnessed a multi-million dollar company almost flop overnight because of some very poor choice decisions made by upper level management. (See Reddit and Ellen Pao fiasco, and google "popcorn tastes good site:reddit.com" for example in question)

https://np.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/3bwgjf/riama_set_to_private_over_mod_firing/csqg24d

This comment in particular, had about 2000 upvotes from people who thought it funny. Then was obliterated to -9018 in the span of 2 hours.

For context: kn0thing was a site-wide administrator, and former employee of reddit. He lost his job due in large part to that comment amidst that situation.

There was even a BBC article about the whole shebang... http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33379571

For the truly curious

https://np.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/3bwgjf/riama_set_to_private_over_mod_firing/

Yeah, you don't reach 90,000 or more people per day, but it takes one screenshot, and one person blowing a whistle, and suddenly 70% of your userbase hates you. For proof of that, remember what happened with me, and that was with ambiguous proof at best.

Done editing. Feel free to reply to what's here now.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  6. stanK

stanK Member

LOLZ, funny you should mention it, cos that's exactly what I do nowadays in NOTD1 -- I manual aim every one of these little misbehaving AI bastards whenever they try something fishy :D

But killing AI minis has a ramification already -- you loose a friendly meatshield. If that meatshield misbehaves, player choice to kill them is welcome (at least to me personally, I'm not sentimental). That said, I did witness some pubs where some (very poor) players took it personaly when I killed certain minis and leavers, so I can see why one might need such rules. Anyways, in the end its up to you, just givin some feedback.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

While I cannot recall if I actually shared that sentiment with the general public, that is something that I believe in. That's why NOTD 2's penalty for harming and killing NPCs is a slap on the wrist compared to NOTD: Aftermath's Article 15, which severely reduced the player's rating, lowered experience gain for the entire team, and made medal points unable to be earned from that match.

I don't care. If you want to be able to get away with slaughtering civilians and other allied units, then go play Undead Assault.

If you see civilians as nothing more than "meatshields", I have some bad news for you.
  8. Tantric Vigilante

Tantric Vigilante Localboid Cultist

A number of other games allow players to command NPCs without direct micro-management, usually the commands are limited to "Follow me!", "Attack!" or "Run away!" "Wait".

A few games in part 1 could've benefited from being able to get Sheng or his buddies to cease fire for a short amount of time, even if only 15-20 seconds. Canon-wise, I don't know how much UGC can command local police forces but even without official jurisdiction I'm sure police would run if the soldiers would yell and scram. I don't know how to generalize this to command card options-maybe set all right click moves to use an Attack Move, some other button to get them to "Run away from all danger (including incoming artillery) Cease Fire (that makes them not shoot and run away for a set amount of time, with a cooldown) and right clicking on a player sets them to Follow closely for a set amount of time, jump over fences to follow them and removes collision while they're Following.

Maybe you can even tie this into the respect system, if the civilians respect you more the police (or whoever) follow suit, making the cooldown decrease and the "listening" period longer. But if you've been bad, they won't be so keen to follow your suggestions.