Partially Implemented NOTD 2: Rating and You

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

NOTD 2: Rating and You
    Not-so-silently judging you

Everyone starts at 1000 and the maximum is 2000. The minimum is 1.
    The more rating you have, the more difficult the game becomes.
    The player's Rating Value is stored at the beginning of the match and used to calculate the bonuses/penalties for the rest of the match, so for example if someone has 2000 and loses rating they will retain the effects of the 2000 bracket until the next game.

GAINING RATING
    For the sake of keeping things simple, earning rating is tied to experience gain.
    • RECRUIT earns 0.25 Rating per 1 point of Experience.
    • NORMAL earns 0.5 Rating per 1 point of Experience.
    • NIGHTMARE earns 1 Rating per 1 point of Experience.
    Caveats to gaining rating:
    • You cannot gain rating from Recruit Mode if you have 1500 or more.
    • You cannot gain rating from Normal Mode if you have 1800 or more.

LOSING RATING
    There are a ton of ways to lose rating, and you can lose it in any difficulty! Most methods involve screwing up somehow, so do your best to not do that.

Getting hit:
    • Shielded hits don’t count.
    • If you have less than 1500 rating, getting hit reduces your rating by 0.25 and you can lose a maximum of 10 rating from hits.
    • If you have 1500 to 1799 rating, getting hit reduces your rating by 0.5 and you can lose a maximum of 20 rating from hits.
    • If you have 1800 or more rating, getting hit reduces your rating by 1 and you can lose a maximum of 30 rating from hits.
    Dying and losing Lives:
    • If you are the last one to die, dying does not reduce your rating. Playing solo counts as being "the last one to die".
    • Being killed by an allied unit/ability does not reduce your rating, but being killed by your own units/abilities does.
    • If you have less than 1500 rating, dying reduces your rating by 5. Losing a life does not cost you rating.
    • If you have 1500 to 1799 rating, dying or losing a life reduces your rating by 20.
    • If you have 1800 or more rating, dying or losing a life reduces your rating by 60.
    Friendly Fire:
    • Damaging a teammate reduces your rating equal to amount of damage dealt divided by four (rounded up).
    • Damaging a teammate within 60 seconds of their death (but not causing it) reduces your rating by 10.
    • Killing a teammate reduces your rating by 20.
    • Damaging a NPC reduces your rating by 5.
    • Killing a NPC reduces your rating by 10.

RATING BENEFITS
    There are benefits to all levels of rating:
    • Having a low rating will increase the amount of health restored by Extra Lives and provide a movement speed bonus while the Extra Life invulnerability period is active.
    • Having a high rating will provide the player with additional Rank Experience. At 1800 Rating or greater, the player will be able to play Ranked matches, which will be expanded upon in the Leaderboard thread.

Benefits by level:
    100: 90%, 50% MS bonus while invulnerable
    200: 80%, 40% MS bonus while invulnerable
    300: 80%, 30% MS bonus while invulnerable
    400: 70%, 30% MS bonus while invulnerable
    500: 70%, 20% MS bonus while invulnerable
    600: 60%, 20% MS bonus while invulnerable
    700: 60%, 10% MS bonus while invulnerable
    800: 50%, 10% MS bonus while invulnerable
    900: 50% Health restored by Extra Lives
    (Default) 1000: No Rank Experience bonus, 40% Health restored by Extra Lives
    1100: +5% Rank Experience
    1200: +10% Rank Experience
    1300: +15% Rank Experience
    1400: +20% Rank Experience
    1500: +25% Rank Experience
    1600: +30% Rank Experience
    1700: +35% Rank Experience
    1800: +40% Rank Experience
    1900: +50% Rank Experience
    2000: +75% Rank Experience
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Is there a safeguard in place to prevent a player with reduced threat rating from becoming a pathing blocker / wall that prevents zombies from attacking the team?

That is, a player with reduced threat holds position and entirely blocks a single path, while marines with standard threat rating remain a small distance behind the player and kill the blocked mobs.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'm pretty sure one can be put in place.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Member

this rating system is better than notd

and is there veteran and hardened modes within normal difficulty game
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  5. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Are there any plans for alternate rating bonuses besides damage? As nice as damage is and all, I would rather have options besides just damage. Perhaps energy regeneration, or some other passive stat boost.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Unless Ability vetoes the rating bonuses for some reason, no. If you want energy boosts of any kind, you'll have to turn to Medals or Stats.
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Overall, agree and no issues. Simple, clear and logical. We can fine tune the numbers as needed during Beta testing.
  8. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

I could imagine how much mayhem people would do just to get 1 rating. This time it will stay a flat 1 rating and doesn't reset to 1000 right ?
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It will not reset. If someone goes through so much effort to reduce their rating to 1, then they can keep it.
  10. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Will rating bonuses change the very same in a game (i.e. between 1999 and 2000), or will changes only take effect in the next game?
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The player's Rating Value is stored at the beginning of the match and used to calculate the bonuses/penalties for the rest of the match, so for example if someone has 2000 and loses rating they will retain the effects of the 2000 bracket until the next game. Squad Rating can be altered mid-game by someone dying, and the new Squad Rating will be calculated based on the Rating Value of the living players that was stored at the beginning of the match.
  12. ozzy

ozzy Member

when will official notd 2 record files start with experience and rating
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Experience? Now. Rating? Later.
  14. Eagle 11

Eagle 11 Well-Known Member

Nojuel would have like this, if he is still around attempting to demo-tank.
    The higher bonuses seem most useful for Recons.
    Is there something special for reaching exact 1 rating ?
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The higher bonuses are the most useful for kiting. More movement speed means you can get out of the way faster, whereas more sight range means you can see things sooner to get out out of their way. The damage bonus is there to reward people who maintain high rating.

Also, no. There is no reward for low rating. Low rating is not intended to be a reward. It is intended to be a crutch.
  16. ozzy

ozzy Member

do not see experience list in game

but will the display be on top of the screen
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's being recorded, I promise. It's just not showing up yet because we have yet to update it to do so.
  18. nex_

nex_ Member

on server ?
  19. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

This is like super late of an answer, but wow. Ofc it's not on server storing shit on server generates costs, and it is up to blizzard to firstly implement. It's in "Banks/1-S2-1-5254905"

And to actual topic of why i even opened this thread
    You might want to check the recording thing. It saves changes indeed but always starts from blank, so only last game is saved AND it doesn't even bother loading that data next time you start.

Saying that, you might want to swap label of this topic from [Implemented] into something that corresponds with reality. I was curious on how rating bonuses are implemented (you know upgrade vs bonus) so with my OP haxor notepad tried out 2000 rating. Which to my surprise did nothing.

Next thing that appears not to work is lives count. 1k should be 2, replay lets me 'die' 4 or so times, didn't even count.

Attached Files:

20. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

List seems good, but for me my peronsal opinion is:

I would rethink 500 or 300 and below possbily giving out more penatlies no reason anyone should be that low unless trolling maybe giving out a (-)minus in speed and LoS as supposed to extra lives this would actualy serve better as a handicap for those that like to troll and not play in a team enviroment and would froce those who want to play to keep ther rating above x number. 1000 and below currently seems to mostly benefit a tank classes where dps and ms are not important, but soaking up damage and taking hits is.
    I don't think we will see new players constantly going below or hitting 500 after a few games learning the ropes hence my opinion on lower levels and aiming it more towards hindering than helping and leaving at least a 500 point gap to still allow for learning this in turn would curve how we see players ratings.

Also you mentioned better rewards for higher rated teams does this mean pub games will be penalized if a rated player of 700 plays with a team of 1.7k? this may hinder pub games in future and also attach a stigmatizem to it of an elite notd 2 etc, etc maybe something worth looking into, or at least keep in mind.

The above might be better resolved in terms of the type of rewards for example if its more a % chance for drops in game or higher % chance for rare costemtic/armour drops or say a chance for a few extra missions then this would be more benefical and would still keep things fair for rated teams, but thats more off topic and else where, still worth bringing into this topic as its very close.