Partially Implemented NOTD 2: Difficulty Scaling

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

NOTD 2 Difficulty Scaling
    MY BIG FAT SCALING WEDDING

Scaling in NOTD (and NOTD:AM) was largely just “add hitpoints”. I mean, it also added enemies and stuff, but the basics of XP/Rating/ect scaling was based in hitpoint modification.

I think that’s boring, and so should you.

For NOTD 2, there will be two types of scaling: Difficulty Scaling and Individual Scaling.

Difficulty Scaling is pretty straightforward: each difficulty determines how many Missions activate, how often mutations can happen, and how powerful Bosses are.

Individual Scaling determines what upgrades enemies get based on the difficulty. Each enemy type will have its own unique set of upgrades - some will get tankier, some will hit harder, some will get faster. The bonuses applied to enemies will be dependent on the unit in question, and will be detailed in each unit's individual thread.

Difficulty Modifiers:
    Recruit Mode

No side missions.
    Players earn 0.25 credits per point of Rank Experience.
    Bosses are in their basic form.
    Enemies have a 25% chance to spawn as a mutation.
    Mercenary/Human enemies, if present, will be dumb losers with bad equipment.

Normal Mode
    2 side missions become active at random points in the story.
    Sub Missions (Charlie and Caves) are active.
    Players earn 0.5 Credits per point of experience.
    Bosses will be in their advanced forms, gaining additional abilities and stats.
    Enemies have a 50% chance to spawn as a mutation.
    Mercenary/Human enemies, if present, will be moderately organized and have good equipment.

Nightmare Mode
    4 side missions.
    Sub Missions (Charlie and Caves) are active.
    Players earn 1 Credit per point of Rank Experience.
    Bosses will be in their most powerful and dangerous forms.
    Enemies have a 75% chance to spawn as a mutation.
    Enemies have a 1% chance to spawn as a Unique Mutation, which is a miniboss.
    Mercenary/Human enemies, if present, will be well organized badasses with awesome equipment and will also possibly drop artillery on you for giggles. Or drive around in tanks.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. AresEnyalius

AresEnyalius New Member

One of the first things that interested me about NOTD2 is the mutations. While the traditionally beefier Zack caused greater resource consumption, I hope the mutations will demand players to react differently, which = fun in my book. Looking forward to seeing this in action.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Hello friends, updates are rolling out again.

Changelog:
    • Rating-based scaling has been tossed due to concerns about system abuse and system complexity.
    • Several design elements have been clarified.