NOTD 2: Character Modifications

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So I’ve made a bunch of mentions on Weapon Mods and what’s happened to them in the jump between NOTD and NOTD 2. Here’s the final word on all of that stuff.
    • Weapon Mods are now called “Character Mods” and have a wider scope of what they can modify. Character Mods are free, and do not require credits.
    • Each Mod takes from 1 to 3 slots.
    • The player has up to 3 Modification Slots, stored as Modification Profiles. Modification Profiles can be created in the single-player shop mode and chosen with Medals at the beginning of a match. A player can have up to 10 different Modification Profiles.
    • The default Modification Profile that every player starts with is equipped with the Night Vision Mod.
    • You can only have one mod of each type equipped - no doubling up.

3 Slot Mods:
    Night Vision

• Provides the character with toggleable Night Vision. While Night Vision is active, the character gains +5 Sight Range, +8 Detection Range and the game lighting is altered to make terrain more easily visible.
    • Not having the Night Vision Mod equipped replaces Night Vision with a basic Flashlight. The Flashlight gives +4 Detection Range, but does not affect the lighting of the match. Flashlights also increase the visibility of the player to intelligent enemies such as Mercenaries or Mechanicals.

Weapon Damage

• Provides a 15% bonus to Weapon Damage.

Energy Regeneration
    • Increases Energy Regeneration per second by 0.2.

2 Slot Mods:
    Attack Speed

• Provides a 15% bonus to Attack Speed.

Weapon Range
    • Provides a +3 increase to the range of most weapons.
    • Does not affect Flamethrowers, Shotguns, or Melee Weapons.

Sidearm Damage
    • Provides a 20% damage bonus to all sidearms.

Movement Speed
    • Increases movement speed by 5% and Sprint's bonus movement speed by 5%.

Body Armor
    • Increases Life Armor by 1.

1 Slot Mods:
    Reload Speed

• Provides a 15% increase in Reload Speed.

Swap Speed
    • Provides a 25% increase in Weapon Equip Speed.

Integrated Suppressor
    • Reduces the noise generation of all weapons by 0.5.

Weight Tolerance
    • Increases Weight Tolerance by 0.0005.

Splash Radius
    • Increases the Splash Radius for applicable weapons by 25%.

Sight Range
    • Increases Sight Range by 2.
  2. ozzy

ozzy Member

does every player start with all the modifications unlocked and can use any modification on the first game
  3. Mystes

Mystes Member

^I would like to know that as well
    Is there going to be a big xp difference if some mods need to be unlocked?
  4. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Are there plans to include additional character mods? Will there be different ways to get said character mods besides playing your first game?

Will character mods stack with branch mods? (BO's energy + Slot 3 Energy Regen, AF move speed + slot 2 move speed, etc.)

Is there going to be a cap on sight range? Marines +3 (Implying branch stacks with character mods.), Sight +2, and NVG +5 is a lovely amount of bonus sight if someone so desired to want it.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yes, every player starts with all of the modifications available.

No, they cannot change their modifications in their first game. To change their modification profiles, they'll have to load up the single-player Shop mode. This will be clarified during the character selection screen.

If additional Character Mods are implemented, they will be free for everyone.

Yes, they will stack.

No, there will not be a cap.
  6. Lolurisk

Lolurisk Member

unless I missed something I am pretty sure you can't stack the sight +2 mod with the NVG mod (can't stack anything with the NVG mod)

also can the weapon range +3 affect abilities i.e. aimed shot ?
  7. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Have you ever looked at something you did and then go back and ask yourself, "How did I miss that?" Because I am very unobservant. Possibly retarded. Thanks for pointing that out.

Would character mods and ranks stack with stat points as well?
  8. ozzy

ozzy Member

then why can the players not choose modifications at selection screen at the start of the game

they can choose the modifications depending on what hero they play and would save time

I think the players should choose everything they want for the game in the marine selection at the beginning of the game so there will not be a need for single player customization
  9. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Have you ever gone to a store and just sat there with two items in your hands and just sat there in your head going, "Okay do I want this one? Ohh but the other one gives me energy regeneration. But the night vision could really come in handy for those dark areas. But the energy is handy when casting is intense! But the night vision prevents mercs from spotting the flashlight in higher difficulties! But the regen keeps me topped off faster! But night vision makes everything fabulous in green! And green is my favorite color!"

You simply cannot decide immediately what you want with 60 seconds when you have all of this stuff. I prefer to have the single player option. I can act out all of my shopping fantasies in peace.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

No. That would cause a lot of balance and clarification issues.

There is an item that gives the NVG effect, so it's entirely a fair question. That said, I'm looking into there being a medal that increases your slot count.

Yes.

The single player customization mode is going to be armor, custom color mixes, weapon skins, weapon models, pet models, follower models, rank sets, and a handful of other things. There's simply too much for the player to choose in the 30 seconds or so of the game starting. The beginning of the game is going to be limited to class selection and then a window with medals/stats/Modification Profiles to streamline the experience and make things less confusing.
  11. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Bonus damage/speed/swap speed, are buffs which will be additive to for example bloodlust dmg/bloodlust ias/riffle innate weapon swap?
    Or are they changing base dmg/attack speed/equip time like current weapon mods in notd?

If it's the former, why would i pick (3-slot 15% dmg) over (2-slot 15% ias + 1-slot 15% reload spd) aside from ammo consumption.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Character Mods alter the base stats of weapons.

You wouldn't. If your concern is the bottom line DPS, then Attack Speed + Reload Speed is the superior option to Damage. However, Damage offers better ammo efficiency, so.
  13. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

No issues then, as it changes base stats.
    Luckily it's not bland and depending on class +15% dmg will end up boosting DPS more than speed/rld would sometimes due to stacking of buffs ect. Which in turn might force me to swap it around every now and then unlike notd weapon mods that i didn't move since forever.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that Character Modifications are being cut from the NOTD 2 design and will not be implemented.

There's just not enough reason to keep them. A "gimme" modification does nothing but raise the barrier to entry to fit the current meta of what is the "correct" mod profile (as this thread has somewhat demonstrated). Favored Weapons and their balancing mechanic also pose concerns, as starting with a Favored Weapon means that the upgrades applied by Character Mods only apply to that weapon - but what about abstract upgrades such as Night Vision Goggles or Eneregy Regeneration?

With Medals/Badges, Service Branches, Rating, and Stats, players will have plenty of ways of changing their various gameplay-affecting stat values in significant ways. I do not want to create an environment that causes confusion or causes NOTD 2 to be even harder to get into than it's already going to be.
  15. nex_

nex_ Member

Well that was a custom system, that was designed on gameplay mechanichs, thats hard to balance them & to expand them.

What about the night vision / detection system ?
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Night Vision will remain present on all characters. The Night Vision Module item will be remade into either Thermal Module (which will have an improved detection radius and a different lighting set) or just improve your Night Vision. Depends on how my lighting experiments work out.