Unimplemented NOTD 2: Ailments

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

After further testing, ailments need refining, so I'm gonna do that.

CREEP
    Deals 1 non-lethal damage per second and lowers Movement Speed by 15%.

While not technically an ailment in and of itself, I feel Creep has a lot of untapped potential. To that end, it will now deal damage to players standing on it - this is to differentiate it from Starcraft II creep and to give me more fun tools to work with for anti-camping measures. It should be noted that Creep, being environmental damage, bypasses shields.

OPEN WOUND
    Deals 0.75 non-lethal damage per second for 60 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times.

The change to non-lethal damage has been made because I feel like Open Wounds are punishing enough as they are. I also feel that Open Wounds being lethal causes Medics to be a must-have for all but the most elite of teams, and I'm not really a fan of that.

Open Wound can only be applied by direct attack when the player's shields are down.

VENOM
    Reduces Movement Speed by 1% and increases Damage Taken by 1% for 60 seconds. Stacks up to 30 times.

Venom has been converted to more of a "support" ailment to give it a more unique identity and to allow me more flexibility in terms of automatic application. Venom can only be applied by direct attack when the player's shields are down.

SHORT CIRCUIT
    Reduces Shields to 0 and drains 0.5 Energy per second for 30 seconds.

Short Circuit is now more geared towards making the player vulnerable in terms of defense rather than crippling their access to abilities. While it sucks, it's possible to walk it off and not be completely useless during that time. Short Circuit can only be applied by direct attack, and only by specific units.

BLIND
    Reduces Sight Range to 2 for 2 seconds.

Unlike NOTD's Blind, NOTD 2's cannot be cured by anything and the players will just have to wait it out. It should be noted that the player will still have vision from shared sources such as Flares. Blind, unlike most ailments, can be applied through shields.

ARM FRACTURE
    Reduces Attack Speed by 40% for 2 minutes.

Arm Fractures are what happen when A) you get slapped by a Massive unit and B) you're unlucky. The amount of damage required to cause one is currently undecided, but you'll be able to prevent them if you're heavily armored enough. Arm Fracture can only be applied by direct attack when the player's shields are down.

LEG FRACTURE
    Reduces Movement Speed by 30% and reduces Jump range by 1 for 2 minutes.

Leg Fractures can happen if you jump from a 2-story cliff, although Heavy classes need not worry about them. Leg Fractures have a chance to be applied based on the class type and do not account for shields.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

For broken limbs, do we need to use 2 mending pastes to fix it? Or is it 1 and done?

Like the look of these. The buff to creep is also interesting, but why is it killing us from a lore perspective? O:
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Does Venom affect the non-lethal damage of Creep and Open Wounds?
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

You'll need two.

Because it's gross? I dunno. I'll figure out the lore later, gameplay comes first.

It increases the damage taken, but it doesn't make them lethal.
  5. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

For someone with Mysophobia, I guess. Unless if it's lorewise like certain classes (like medic) who is such a clean freak or some sort just gonna get more negative effect from creep?

Or..... someone with philia (the opposite of phobia) may actually gain benefits from these things, again lore wise. I'll say if would be fun to watch ailments actually provide some buffs.
  6. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

commando has to watch his step or its gg lol =P
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

"Because it's gross" is not the actual reason. I'll be cooking up something with a bit more substance in due time - the point is that, right now, it doesn't actually matter that much.

Yes and no. On one hand, the Commando is pretty fragile, but on the other, Creep is non-lethal, so it's not that big of a deal.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Creep Damage is actually more threatening to a Commando who doesn't have Midnight Animal than to one who does. Creep doesn't damage shields and isn't lethal, so it's basically a non-factor for the Midnight Animal Commando - going from one hitpoint to half a hitpoint does not matter at all in the long run.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  8. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Will MAMando's base health regen keep him from stepping on it and getting OSOK'd?
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's non-lethal. As in "no matter how much damage it does, it cannot kill you".
  10. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Ohhhh, okay, I see.