Night of the Dead: Aftermath

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Razven, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Razven

Razven New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and searched around for a bit but didn't find a any mention Night of the Dead: Aftermath (NOTD: AM), a custom map on Warcraft III

I'm wondering if you guys have any affiliation with those who originally made that map/game because I can see that a lot of the missions and style of gameplay is very similar between between these two maps.
  2. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Not too long ago Syrus signed up on the forums.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Heh. Well, I don't know how much it's related to Aftermath there. I know there is another mod on StarCraft II, Night of the Dead: Special Ops, which is supposedly a direct port of Aftermath into StarCraft II. And I can tell you that Ability's creation is a whole different sort of beast from Special Ops, least in how it plays and what sort of core mechanics are in play.

But some of the themes are similar.
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Hi Razven, I made NOTD Aftermath. Welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy playing NOTD StarCraft!
  5. Razven

Razven New Member

Oh cool, thanks for clearing it up, for a while I was kind of annoyed that this map took so many elements from a custom map that I used to enjoy without acknowledging its origins. However, I feel much better now knowing that both maps have the same creator and SC2's NOTD isn't just blatantly building off of someone's else ideas.
  6. Osaze

Osaze Well-Known Member

Building off of someone else's ideas is how almost every game is made. It's not like 20 years ago when games were just getting into the mainstream of computer users.
  7. Razven

Razven New Member

Not sure did you play the original NOTD: AM but you don't realize how many and how deep the similarities go. I'm new to this game and have only successfully completed the Echo Company storyline and I can already see major points where the plot, character leveling progression, item/skills and even down to the names of particular things were based off of NOTD:AM.
    The biggest concern I had was that if Blueberry's NOTD becomes a for profit venture (I think I read that it was planned somewhere ahead), it would be building its profits off of another person's hard work. The similarities would've been called for an investigation into copy-right infringement if both games were released by for-profit companies as stand-alone games and not a custom map.
  8. Osaze

Osaze Well-Known Member

I have played both
  9. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Slighty on a tangen, but this is major thing I've noticed. Sometimes Kith has asked for my help with brainstorming new abilites/mechanics/etc. and I've run into the wall of trying to find a mechanic that isn't A) A combo of 2 other abilites B) Similiar to an existing ability or C) Straight rip out of another game.

Simply put, there is a limit on what one can put in a video game without being either a clone/rework of something older or being hideously complicated, or being so simplistic as to be useless.
  10. Razven

Razven New Member

Here's a shortlist of direct-descendents from NOTD:AM
    - Skill abilities and names (MM Mono, Flamethrower Burstfire)
    - Some weapon names (like Shiva)
    - Item attributes (Stacking ammo in ammo boxes, max 3 stack for just mags)
    - Enemy unit names and naming conventions (hero and normal units)
    - Mission objectives (Rescue civilians, defend against Black Ops/Humans with guns, Infestor hunts, cameras)
    - Pets
  11. notdfan

notdfan New Member

I thought Azazel_ made NOTD Aftermath?
  12. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

ability and azazel = same person
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Yep. And the whole "Azazel_ is a girl" thing is the result of a running gag.
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Wait... Ability is a girl? I'll have to start telling people.
  15. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

Incorrect, I have seen Ability's true face, he's a zerg overseer. (With Detector Tag)

Back on topic (before some annoying mods start yelling at me), to clarify, NOTD SC2 is more like another new, sc2 map that simply borrows some aspects of older NOTDs while also featuring it's own unique systems, think of it as a sequel.
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

GIRL = Guy In Real Life
  17. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/315713/all
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
  18. Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles New Member

19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Those Fatal Errors have ruined many a game. It's painful stuff.