Nicarco's Guide to EC

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Nicarco, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Since it seems like we need one for beginners, and hopefully it will encourage new people to come to the forums and to play the game more.

Expect me to write some of it when I have the time to, which should be later today.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Neat. You should collaborate with Marloe, Lover of Waffles, on this project I know Marloe was at one point working on Low XP guides (1000 XP Alpha Company and 3,500 XP Apollo Security). So a Zero XP Easy Company Guide wouldn't be a bad fit.

Old Standard Class Selection I used to see way back in the day was more like: 3 Rifleman (2 Combat, one Survival), 3 Assault (2 Arms, 1 Protection), and 2 Medics (1 Field Aid, 1 Nanotech). Though you might want to tweak the team a bit and run a few games to experiment. It's really something when you realize a lot of abilities that people take for granted aren't there.
  3. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

There's just two problems I think that will exist with it being
    1. These games with most/all people at 0 xp don't really exist due to the large number of pubbing vets.
    2. New people probably won't bother coming here to read anyway
    But might as well try anyway
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

It serves a good intermediary point. There's a point between Zero XP and 10,000 XP where you hope they stumble into the community, forums, wikia, etc. So it's good to aim for lower requirements, and thus you don't necessarily have to have parts where you're saying, "Okay, you need an OpComm with a Flamer and a Time to Die Demo to make sure Erebos Mark II goes down like a potato", but instead address tactics that any reader can use regardless of time invested into NOTD.
  5. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I have to say that I've never heard this expression before. How exactly does a potato go down?
  6. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

I had one written up on the old forum
    oh here it is

One of the problems with a newbie guide is that newbs don't usually read guides or visit websites until they're well into playing the game and know the basics.

The only people you would be catering to is people like me: instantly interested in the game and very confused on what on earth I'm supposed to do. Of course the guide's useless for me now, and is likely useless for everyone over 1000 xp.
  7. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Maybe if we got more publicity from new people, there will be people who will be interested in these things, and then the guide will cater to more people.
    The main problem is of course, getting people interested in learning a game that takes a long time to learn and they don't really understand it yet.

Maybe I'll just keep it simple, write one of those "alt-tab" guides that tell you exactly what to do without telling you anymore.
  8. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

I personally would include Recon and Marksman roles/uses in your guide. You could add optional bits about what they should be doing if you want.

As stated before, most 0 exp people don't look for guides and whatnot. At 500 exp, they're probably interested enough in the game to nose around, considering they just unlocked two shiny new classes.