New Weapon Ideas

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Soulfire, May 24, 2012.

1. Soulfire

Soulfire New Member

Hi guys its been almost a year since I was last here. It is great to see the game has become much better looking and has many more classes to play. However in my return I found that one of the things I remembered was different. The gravity gun was removed and having found the forum thread that is related to its removel. I understand and agree with having it removed from the game. However they said they may make a new gun for Heart of the Swarm. So I would like to see if anyone had any cool ideas for guns. One that I would like to see made is a gun that like the gravity gun was good for a high energy class like the medic. The medic gets first dibs on just about nothing through out most of the game. I can understand that but it would be nice to have some weapon that would assist a high energy class without eating bullets like the old gravity gun did. Anywho this is not in any way restricted to that idea. How about a stun rifle that deals 0 damage but eats energy like crazy. If you have any cool ideas for guns lay them out and lets see what everyone is thinking.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Any energy-related gun is going straight into the hands of the Rifleman or the Pathfinder simply because their energy regen rates are absolutely amazing. I'd advise against it.
  3. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Unless maybe if it were an energy using utility equipment and not a damage dealing gun.

You'd usually want damage dealers on the Rifleman of course and the PathFinder is an Apollo/Survival class while the Medic is pretty much everywhere
  4. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

How about a gun that shoot some gravity laser beam that slow target's movement speed by 1 percent. Longer it target the same target, enemy's movement speed will continue to decrease until it is immobile. Add 1 percent per second and cost 0.5 to 1 energy per 1 percent added. Max stack: 100. If laser cut off or enemy become immobile, the slow/immobile effect will last 5-10 second. Deal absolutely no damage.

Range: I don't know, maybe 10.
    Weaponspeed: Not sure, maybe 1.00 to 2.00.

Pro: can slow enemy until it's immobile. Should be decent against heroic enemy.
    Con: Only target one enemy. Must stay in one spot. May take long time to immobilize or to severely slow the target.

Just an idea.
  5. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

this will make a rine happy anti-boss with assault :3
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Oddly that sounds really broken to me. Like an OpsComm could, for example, use it to completely neuter a boss and render him nothing more than a dummy target. And since he can cut for more energy keep it up forever, and has the adrenaline to build up to stopping a boss cold very fast.

There's just something about most "Energy weapon" proposals I see that makes me think the entire process is horribly flawed. Either they do something insanely powerful and game breaking. Or there is an idea that because energy is somehow much more rare and limited than Ammo that it should do insane amounts of damage. Which yeah, you might say how your DemoTank doesn't have energy to burn. Or your MM or Combat Engineer has horrible regen so it'll be terribad. But we do have high regen classes. If you do have an "Energy Blaster" weapon, hell, I'd be happy throwing it on a Rifleman, Commando, PF, etc and just tear shit up. Particularly if it's so good that it outshines Talents. Why Precision Shot on a Rifleman if you get an Energy Blaster that does 300 damage for 10 energy after all? Why Force Push with my Sex Ops when for half the cost I can immobilize a boss?

That's my general concern and problem with a lot of the "Energy Weapons" I see proposed.
  7. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

This is just a half thought but how about this
    Psionic Guass Cannon:
    Damage-150
    Vs heavy or armored-180

Rate of fire- 1 shot per 1 sec

Consumes 20 energy and 3 ammo

Wieght- same as barret

Manual targeting only, player also becomes immoble when attacking
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Cost/Damage wise that is pretty much the same as giving anyone Precision Shot as an ability. Minus the useful slow/stun that will come in with the Rework. Actually worse than Precision Shot since it also uses up ammo. And heavy as all hell.

Guessing you mean Armored and Massive, in which case the damage it would inflict on an Agron (Biological-Massive-Armored), would actually be 210 a shot. NOTD type bonuses stack together so it basically checks for +30 damage if there is an Armored target. And +30 if it's a Massive target.

Also needs a lot of additional concept information.

I'm not saying it's BAD necessarily. But from what I can see there I just can't see it getting much use. Slow attack speed, heavy so your marine will be slow, no splash mentioned, relatively hefty Ammo AND Energy costs, immobilizing your marine. It's all kind of a perfect storm of Underwhelming.
    [hr]
    That said, to put my money where my mouth is and put up an idea myself?

We got weapons for a lot of various types. Anti-Air (M45 and it's unlisted double damage vs Air), Anti Bio (Flamethrower), anti Psychic (M5), anti Armored (Gauss/HK/HMG), AoE Doom (L3, Stinger Mk-3). So how about a category that we don't actually have right now?

UA506MK - The Machine Killer
    Damage: 13
    vs Mechanical: 20
    vs Robotic: 20
    Attack Speed: .5
    Range: 12
    Splash: .5 radius
    Armor Reduction: -1
    Reload: 3 Seconds
    Weapon Switching Time: 4 seconds
    Ammo Useage: 1 Round per attack
    Commonality: 3 during Apollo Security Team, chapter 1. 1 drop in Chapter 2 and 3 Alpha/Easy Company.
    Weight: 12

Just a thought. It fits a use that is somewhat rare (So I feel a bit more justified in making it extra useful), but currently just doesn't really have anything that necessarily does well against it. Might see some popularity in Survival Mode Machine Wave in particular. Good for taking on Nazara and his X1s. Slightly on par with the Gauss Rifle for general use (1 more damage but reduced speed and splash so I consider it a wash, maybe a bit weaker).
  9. Soulfire

Soulfire New Member

I'm glad that so many people are responding and remember it dosn't have to come from the medic gun idea. However since thats one of the few classes I play how bout a tesla gun of some kind. Since I'm kinda aiming for an energy style weapon. How about make it that it tanks your energy regen while it is equiped because it draws off your suits power but not when you put it away for the 10% speed boost. Unfortunatly this kinda kills the medic gun idea because we need to regen as much as possible to keep those heals going. Balance wise it should be somewhere below the assault rifle in damage so that it dosn't become the must have gun for every dps class. As Kithrixx said if it is to powerfull it will go strait to the nearest rifleman or pathfinder so there needs to be better options out there so that it falls to other classes to use. Also I kinda like ArcturusV's suggestion of making it anti machine in nature. As an added effect if the nerf to energy regen is to much. Make it so it does use a little energy every time it shoots and give it a shot gun like chance to stun except make it a chance for a slow effect that only works as long as you have energy to feed into the gun.
  10. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

Well for starters i did mention my idea wasnt fully wasnt thought through :p
    I aiming for a gun thats does a good amount of damage but has the major drawbacks of having a high output. The damage was probably too high so lets just move it to 90 damage. Ill try to post a more thought through weapon later.
  11. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

How bout this?

Plasma Cannon
    Damage: 100
    Rate of Fire: 1 shot per 1.5 seconds
    Rarity: Rare
    Ammo consumption: 15 energy per shot, cancels all energy regen/skills for 5 seconds every time it's shot.
    Weight: 20
    Special: 30% chance to act like force push level 1 except doesn't work with heroics, massives are slowed by 20%. Deals 10 damage to affected units.
    Description: The futures electrical technology have been weaponized as a prototype using extremely complex merging of laser technology with energy accomplished by Dr. Bergman/Freeman
    "One shot, fifty kills!"
    It still consumes energy yes, but it cancels all energy regen and skills for 5 seconds after its shot, I thought of it this way to stop commandos/rifleman/pathfinders to make this a Derpgun which destroys anything in its path. The minor forcepush is because the blast of a cannon is very strong in energy and knockbacks things hit by it.
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

So it's kinetic energy, then? (In other words... just another gun)
  13. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Basicly
  14. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

The Railgun & Arclite Hecate are the only Weapons I can see being added in the near future for a while. Where, I came up with that, would be the NOTD Items page.

Ideally, in terms of new Weapons, they wouldn't be "like XX but better"; they would be special and unique.
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Can't call it a Plasma Cannon, then.

Kinetic Kannon :)
  16. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Cause you know, Plasma is superheated gas. If it had any effect it would probably be more like a point blank weapon with wide AoE. Least I'd think.

And there isn't a problem with that. Though the Hecate thing might fit that exact weapon profile so it's probably a done deal.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Almost. Plasma is different state of matter where many of the particles are ionized.

Typically, the states of matter go Solid > Liquid > Gas > Plasma. There are variants, exceptions, and other little oddballs. Camphor, for example, sublimates from a solid to a gas at room temperature, bypassing liquid altogether.

The more you know! <.<
  18. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Melee weapons need some love.

Also, Arclite Hecate?
  19. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

http://www.notdstarcraft.com/items.htm

Old gun from old notd

From the original NOTD

Arclite M23 Hecate - Firebat only
    More durable, higher temperatures, and conservative with canisters. With a better gas regulator, this weapon has been designed to incinerate all non-armoured hostiles.
    Effects: +10 dmg, +10 fuel consumption, +30% attack speed
    Burst fire ability: 200 dmg + 35 dmg/s for 5 seconds, 40 seconds cooldown, 150 area of effect, final range 300

Basically kind of what a barret is to a sniper rifle for flamethrowers
  20. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

How about these two:

Weapon 1: Blunt Baton
    Base Damage: 15 (plus 15 against light)
    Weapon speed: 1
    Range: 0.85
    Ability: has 30 percent to stun enemy for 2 seconds. Or maybe, 30 percent to knock enemy 2-3 distance back.

Weapon 2: Multi-Type Grenade Launcher
    Depending on what type of grenade: Standard, Smoke, Adhesive, and Net.

Standard's stats: same as normal Grenade Launcher.

Smoke: Deal no damage, same range as standard. Smoke grenade doesn't bounce, instead it immediately spawn 7-radius smoke that blind ALL units within range unless they move out of smoke. Smoke will last 10-15 seconds. Yes, smoke affect allies and enemies including flying ones. Cost 5 bullets.
    Weapon speed: 1.00 to 3.00

Adhesive's stats: Deal no damage, same range as standard. Adhesive grenade doesn't bounce, instead it immediately spawn 5 radius adhesive gel that immobilize ALL ground units, including allies, within range for 15 seconds. In case of heroic or massive enemies, their movement speed decreased by 50-75. Like standard, Adhesive grenade can act as trap temporarily. Cost 10 bullets.
    Weapon speed: 2.00 to 5.00

Net's stats: Deal no damage, shorter range than standard. Net grenade doesn't bounce, instead it turn into a net that cause enemy to unable to attack. In case of heroic or massive, their attach speed decreased by 30-50 percent. The effect last 7 seconds. Must be manually target enemy as net grenade will useless if aim at the ground. Only affect ground unit and can affect ally. Net does not affect movement speed. Cost 5-10 bullets.
    Weapon speed: 3.00-5.00

Like normal Grenade Launcher, Multi-Type Grenade Launcher is manual, not automatic. Compared to normal, this one is heavier and prevent user from using active skills such as OSOK. Smoke, Adhesive, and Net fire slower than standard.