New player's guide to basics of class roles in NM games

Discussion in 'Strategy and Tactics' started by Ramses II, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Introduction to [​IMG]: a new player's guide to fulfilling your job in your first few nightmares

Introduction
    The purpose of this guide is to help out newer players with their first few nightmare games when they are picked up by a more veteran team and asked to play a certain role. This guide assumes basic knowledge of class stats, abilities, etc for someone who may have experience playing said class in public recruit-mode games. All sections will be kept under a maximum wordcount.

Table of Contents
    (Green is finished, yellow is WiP, Red is planned)

Classes
    Rifleman: Combat
    Rifleman: Survival
    Medic: Field Aid
    Medic: Nanotech
    Medic: Hybrid
    Assault: Arms
    Assault: Protection
    Recon: Surveillance
    Recon: Mobility
    Marksman: Assassination
    Marksman: Subtlety
    Demolitions: Explosives
    Demolitions: Fortitude
    Engineer: Field Support
    Engineer: Combat
    Commando: Operations
    Commando: Delta
    Flamethrower: Pyro
    Flamethrower: Order
    Forward Observer: Fire Support
    Forward Observer: Mobile Infantry
    Technician: Weapons
    Technician: Modifications
    Chemical Expert: Desolator
    Chemical Expert: Ground Support
    Pathfinder: Gunslinger
    Pathfinder: Rocketeer
    Psi-Ops: Telepathy
    Psi-Ops: Mind Mastery

Weapons

Items

Notes

Credit

[​IMG]
    Classes
    Short info on each class's primary roles, maximum wordcount per section: 150

[​IMG]
    Rifleman: Combat
    You have four main assets: large inventory, high movespeed, grenades or precision shot (not both), and high average dps. You can mule ammo or carry flares, boxes, kits, etc that others will need later. Grenades one way to counter armor early, but are generally for saving people from creeps that get too close. DO NOT USE THEM TO OVERLEVEL! Precision shot is used for the slow on bosses and other high priority targets (Devilish). You are much less important in terms of leveling than most other characters, so be careful not to whore with your nades. Because you are sustained dps rather than spike or burst, you get whatever weapons and ammo mods the other dps classes don't want except maybe barrett once an amm has his tier 3 for non-boss fights (ArcanePariah). Make sure you spam focused fire when you have energy, as limited ammo is an issue in nightmare mode.

[​IMG]
    Rifleman: Survival
    You have four main assets: large inventory, high movespeed, sonic traps, and repulse. You may be asked to mule ammo boxes, flares, etc because you have space. Sonic traps are one of the best crowd control devices in the game, and you should use one basically every cooldown. Put it a little bit behind the tank so that flamethrowers can actually hit the creeps a few times before they're bounced back. Repulse is both a somewhat spammable stun for bosses and an "oh shit" button. You typically want to save it for if the tank looks about to be overwhelmed. You have higher dps than non-dps classes, so you get weapons and ammo mods before them. YOU DO NOT GET THE CG HMG BEFORE DPS CLASSES! You basically get whatever items no one wants.

[​IMG]
    Medic: Field Aid
    You have a few different jobs: healing the tank, healing the mando's cuts, saving people who get larva'd, and providing energy. When in doubt be with the tank, and when they are tanking spam either shield (for demos and flamethrowers or verus banes, erebos, and larvae) or weave (for assaults and techs). Nanoshield is also great for proactively preventing damage and saving people from shrieks (Always be proactive!) (Humpz and Lacus). Once the mando has cuts, weave him whenever his energy is low and yours is high, don't wait for him to use it. Weave is more efficient than antivenom with many stacks, but if you're kiting they will want the extra movespeed. Spam restoration whenever you have over 200 energy. You are top generally top priority for arc (because of restoration) and right behind the tank in terms of armor priority (because you're right behind the tank). (142 words)

[​IMG]
    Medic: Nano-Tech
    All of your talents except for nanoshock are designed to be extremely spammable during holdouts and waves, and you have MASSIVE energy reserves to let you do so. Get 1 SL for the reduced cooldown (Humpz). Save your energy during down times and spam them during bosses and difficult waves. Nanoshock is not designed for damage but as an emergency stun. Only use it in these instances as otherwise it's a waste of energy. Use nanostrength on the dps characters first (mm, mando, etc.). VI is good both for armor reduction on bosses (it stacks up to 4 times (Yuey)) and on tiny enemies in a horde of massives that you can then snipe to explode. Nanosear has a movespeed reduction for bosses (it stacks 5 times) (Yuey). You really don't need much in the way of items, although an arc would be nice and a marksman rifle for VI sniping is helpful. (150 words)

[​IMG]
    Assault: Arms
    You have one job: kill as much and as efficiently as possible without whoring xp. Use slow RoF weapons to conserve ammo. Stunlock bosses with blood frenzied flamer (or a rifle if your team is playing cautiously). Once you have ammo feed, you don't need an hcm. You get weapons and weapon mods right after the amm and opsmando. Always watch your ammo and hit the manual reload every time: reloading at 5 or even 10 ammo is far better than an automatic reload once you have ammo feed. Check others' levels often to make sure you aren't too far ahead. If you do get ahead (which you will, if you hit your manual reloads), hold fire during either the military base wave or the airlock wave if you don’t seem needed. You have a large inventory and are not a tank, so mule items for others. (147 words)

[​IMG]
    Assault: Protection
    You will always be primarily a tank because of your high armor, always be in front of the team. If your team also has a demotank, you’re probably not the primary tank until the queen. Ask the leader. Don't be afraid to take hits for your team, but make sure you use taunt often to take less damage and easing the pressure placed on Medics. Charge is a very nice skill that stuns mobs and bosses alike, and also helps you get the few extra kills to make leveling easier. The most important thing is play smart, just because you're the best at tanking doesn't mean you should be doing it all the time, especially against parasites, banelings, and agrons. Don’t tank bane trains as they’ll have a few real banes embedded and they’re also valuable xp for the team. Whore as much as possible, your team wants you high-level quickly. (150 words, largely from Lacus)

[​IMG]
    Recon: Surveillance
    You have four primary jobs: provide vision, ammo, energy, and items. Always start with 1 flare and then 1 laser designator, and always get at least 2 levels of flare if you don't have a quality forward observer. Always flare when there are vision blockers, and always LD bosses and infestors. You should never have enough energy. Get supply station asap and drop it every cooldown when the team is not moving. Get only one level of HBS, use it to save energy on flares (only flare when there are enemies). One point in Tier 1 and then Tier 3. Always be either scouting or following the demo as he scouts with your drone (you can stun huggers and shield him from banes). Announce what items you bring back. You can share control with a medic or rifleman and have them keep your character safe and use supply station. (149 words)

[​IMG]
    Recon: Mobility
    Always be with the team during pre-worm hold-outs and bosses, and never be with the team at any other time. Your build should be 3 cm, 1 reflex, 1 cloak, 2 escape, 2 cloak, refresher, flare/ld. Use drop points for items near the next holdout. Unequip weapons and items to increase movespeed when you have space. Make people empty ammo boxes and give them to you for more space. Drop items at the bottom of cliffs: allies above can still reach them if it’s close enough to the edge. Always ask before you start an optional mission, but you’re probably expected to do either cams and coms or civilians during the domes, based on whether the team is in the fort or in front of the domes. Don’t whore xp, you get bonus shared and you only REALLY need to be level 5 at end-game if you aren’t getting LoM. (150 words)
  2. Ramses II
    • Donator

[​IMG]
    Marksman: Assassination
    Get mono level 3 in EC and Alpha, conc level 3 in Apollo. Mono is your most important talent until you have AT LEAST level 2 osok. Stuff you are expected to mono the fuck out of: all pre-airlock waves (except epsilon) of EC and the airlock agrons (don’t kill the agrons, let the tank get those kills), the first wave of alpha, all the beastings, the titans and immortals in the armory wave, and Demeter (especially when she’s trying to come up and when she stares). Hold fire to move faster, make sure that (unless you're supposed to be monoing) you're in the very middle of the team. If there's a field engineer, communicate with him about MC cooldown so you aren't osoking stuff he wants to MC. Once you have T3, stop osoking things that aren't especially close to the team until everyone else important has their T3. (150 words)

[​IMG]
    Marksman: Subtlety
    You are a scout/runner and a dps. Use the highest dps weapon you can your team allows and build your talents around it: QA for slow RoF, crit for fast RoF that you have to reload every other second. Be careful not to die, you may be on your own quite a bit and you're delicate as paper. Usually people want you to go full dps and skip shadowstep. You really don't need it what with scope, cloak, and holdfire. You have massive energy reserves and use tons of energy for maximum dps output. Save your energy before important boss fights and other waves. Your biggest weakness is reloads. This means you really don't need fmj ammo, and you really do need an hcm. Because you're slow, you should be holding fire a lot during movement sequences because otherwise you will be wasting energy on sprint that you need later. (150 words)

[​IMG]
    Demolitions: Explosives
    There are four things you need to do: deal with as many ambient spawns as possible, provide defenses for people to fall back to in case they miss reloads early-game, kill dome and queen spawns with armageddon spam, and provide fire vulnerability to literally every enemy/boss attacked with flamers or lasers. Leveling mines gives bonus mines, so by level 3 you should have 60 mines spread over the mining base. This should get you to at least level 5 before leaving, and through laying mines behind the team you'll have fv by tart. DO NOT MINE UNDER THE TEAM. Be rear guard during movement and drop mines/arms behind you. Put mines on civilian hexes to gain vision of arrows and let the runner know. Beware ghouls (especially at coms), they'll drag your mines back to the team. Hold fire rather than sprinting so that you can get more mines. (148 words)

[​IMG]
    Demolitions: Fortitude
    You're probably the primary tank. Get 1 level IYF first, 1 level Look! asap, and max IYF before TTD, the rest is still debatable. Whore xp as much as possible to get TTD. Kite sideways while taunting. Taunt when high shields, TTD when low shields. Watch your and medic's energy and make sure the med is with you pre-TTD. When tanking queen use xs-4 (frenzy bypasses RA), and spam taunt. Don't TTD until shriek, it's a waste of energy and unnecessary with medic shield spam. Look! larger enemies towards the back of mobs to make traffic jams. During worms (if you're soloing) watch for huggers. Look! the worms to make the agron/spine kill it for you and run. During domes (if at fort) you're unneeded. Go start coms, do cams (if already lost dsm), and go back to finish coms after agrons leave. Then go scout. Always be very careful! (149 words)

[​IMG]
    Engineer: Combat
    Tier 1 is debatable, level 1 bot is faster and can kite for you but level 3 is tankier. If you can get a quality rifle, 1/3 is higher dps. Use high RoF weapons with high splash. Rush for boomshot and spam it unless fighting queen (laser rifles). Use high RoF weapons with splash for IMA and boomshot. Use OD when necessary, don't whore if you get early T3. "sc" means short circuit. Find the person and repair them. Be careful not to let your bot die (if this means set him on follow and do nothing else, so be it). The leveling system means that a bot kept alive for the entire game can have a decent sized passive dps increase, but if you're only 1/4 of the way to level 1 when you get the next level of the bot, you may want to just replace so that it will have the energy to use targeting computer. (159 words)

Notes
    Please comment any edits you have to the WiP sections or additional sections I should make. Please rage at me if you disagree. Seriously, I need to know if people hosting nightmares don't want new players following this. All help will be credited.

Credits
    Devilish
    ArcanePariah
    Lacus
    Humpz
    Yuey
  3. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

For the explosive demolitions, make sure people know that it is very TK prone and that satchels are a nerfed version of Armageddon and should be skilled after Armageddon because mines are more helpful early game and the help you level faster.
  4. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Which will be changing, probably soon (Satchels that is).
    [hr]
    As for the topic at hand, mono does NOT need to be used against any wave in EC, it really doesn't help. Especially now the AMM has Scope, he will net many kills already from just sniping things on walls and other ambient spawns. Mono is purely for it's stun, to clear a fast moving ghoul mob before it reaches its target, to hold down infestors, or other similarly large targets. You should really never be monoing a mob of zombies unless it is an ambient spawn train behind the team, otherwise you are just getting kills that are unneeded by you.
  5. Ramses II
    • Donator

I'll exclude the mining base. Everywhere else I think it's still helpful.
  6. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

BUMP ^-^

Just because I dont want Ozy to forget his lovely thread again :3
  7. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

[​IMG]
    Engineer: Field Support
    Because of the importance of Field Nexus, you should use any means necessary to reach level 9 as soon as possible, this includes killing grouped zombies using Plasma Discharge (level 3 works best) and/or using a high powered weapon such as stinger or heavy machinegun. Very good micromanagement skill is crucial, since you will be controlling a lot of units while keeping up with your team's pace. High hitpoint or armour tanking units such as Agrons, Slasher, and arguably Hulks should be the priority for mind control. Never underestimate utility skills, your Medics and other energy intensive classes will appreciate Energy Battery and Disruption Towers could be used both offensively and defensively. Finally, team communication [/color]is a necessity, so you can notify your teammates not to kill the zombie that you wanted.

[​IMG]
    Commando: Operations
    Your one and only goal is to cause mayhem among anything and everything that is a threat to your team, kill as much as you can to make your team's life easier. Make good use of borrowed time so you can keep Surgical Strike and Adrenaline up (or to call down nukes). Do not rely on automatic reloads, manual reloading is crucial because in your case, every second of not shooting could put your team in jeopardy. Tactical Nuke is invaluable for bringing down high priority targets such as the Agrons and Nydus Worms, try to place nukes using the minimap so you can keep up with your team if they're moving. Watch your ammo count because you will use up ammo faster than everyone except possibly Arms Assault. As for weapons, the flamethrower, heavy machinegun, laser rifle or even pistol are your best friends.

[​IMG]
    Commando: Delta
    You are invaluable when it comes to offensive support; use Heightened Senses often to help bring down enemies faster. Try to manually pick targets to make the most out of Bring Them Down’s slow effect, your weapon of choice should be the marksman rifle as it deals high damage each hit and there are better candidates to the more lethal weapons. Be wary when using crowd control skills near teammates - you won’t want to be held accountable for their deaths if something goes wrong.
    Finally, timing with your skills is essential: A well placed Gravity Grenade or even ‘The Horror’ can often mean the difference between victory and defeat.
  8. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

BUMP BUMP!

I really loved this thread and I hope Ramses II and someone picks this up again ^-^
  9. Most of this is outdated, will need lots of work, the question is are you ready to work on it? If so I can make this the mm section when I have time ( probably not soon)
  10. Ramses II
    • Donator

Well I'm done with finals and I have a bit of a break before my summer job starts, so I may have time to update/finish it, depending on whether I can find work for the next week or two.