New NOTD Forum

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ability, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

To the NOTD community members,

We've recently upgraded our forum software from myBB 1.6.0 to 1.6.5. Unfortunately, our database backups didn't work correctly. Earendil and I have worked hard the past 6 hours to salvage it (I haven't eaten by dinner yet - it's midnight here), but to no avail. We've talked to several experts and our web hosting company (HostGator) but there's nothing meaningful that they can help with at this stage. I, more than anyone, feel the pain of the loss. Almost 2 years' worth of content gone.

However, it's important to look forward. The forum upgrade helps fix a long host of bugs, provides security enhancements and also improves performance. You can read the change log of the most recent version here. Our last forum software update was close to 2 years ago and this forum software update is critical as we expand further. A lot of what we've lost, we'll rebuild and make better. Earendil and I have learnt some critical lessons from this issue and we will do our best to ensure it doesn't happen again. We will also be constantly migrating key data into multiple areas (NOTD Wiki, main website, Facebook, our local desktops).

Please give us a few days as we rebuild some core forum mechanics and recreate our forum infrastructure (updating mod permissions, forum/reputation permissions, templates, etc). Please also re-register your NOTD forum account. It's not the best birthday present to give myself - but cest la vie.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Noooooo my buglist
  3. Lock

Lock New Member

Nooooo Nite's amazing list of reputation points!!!!!
  4. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Please refrain from posting here. This should serve as only an announcement.
  5. Nick

Nick New Member

First of all please prevent bots from registering. Two bots and spams in the first few hours? This does not bode well for the forum.
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

UPDATE
    We managed to retrieve the forum database up to 23rd January 2012. There's a high chance that it's salvageable and hopefully we'll soon see almost everything back to normal.

Stay tune.
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

^ that was Earendil

Anyway, thanks everyone for the effort to register and also bring back content into the forum. We've rebuilt a lot in a short time thanks you.