New name for HK420 Assault Rifle

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, May 6, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

New name needed for HK420 Assault Rifle. Just to minimize any legal concerns. It shouldn't be some fancy game name, ideally something similar to what a real-life manufacturer would call it. Any ideas?
  2. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

Technically I'd prefer renaming the Gauss Rifle first..it shouldn't be something to be mass-produced over Assault and Pulse Rifles.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

UA 420?

(UA being UGC Arms)
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Peera, no issues with changing Gauss Rifle's name. Any other inputs?
  5. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

maybe use plazmaburst's rifles
    Assault Rifle CS-RC
    Assault Rifle C-01r
  6. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

"Real" naming is always lazy. They just name it model then series. Ie, M16A4 is a premium example. Or toss an X infront of the weapon is prototype/early phase testing, ie XM8. Only in videogames do you ever see crazy names like the "TX9 Devastator Rifle"
  7. Hades

Hades Member

MP420 (MP / Military Police)
  8. Emperor

Emperor New Member

They should probably be switched around, if we're set on having Gauss Rifles in the game. Coincidentally "C-14" could be a Colt, seeing as how the C designation is currently in use. I'd like to believe Heckler & Koch are just douches and not everyone will sue over having consonants prefix their fictional weapons.

Also ME used HK as well, although not in the abbreviated form, but they had an arms company called Hahne-Kedar.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

The UGC would probably throw the original names and designations out the window anyway for their issued weapons such as the US designating their version of FN Herstal's Minimi the M249 LMG.

Ghost's suggestion is what I would expect the Gauss and current HK to be designated... something with a UA.
  10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

UA-223 for the gauss, UA-308 for the HK. 223 = smaller bullet, and higher rate of fire due to this, slightly less oomph, slightly less range, less splash (more accurate, generally) 308 = bigger bullet, slower rate of fire due to this, opposite of the 223, and also has more of an effect vs body armor.
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Are we still talking about Gauss rifles, because they don't use "bullets" in the traditional sense.
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well, electromagnetically propelled flechettes, or something like that.

My only concern is if everything ends up named UA-(Some number) realistic designations that it'll be more annoying to call out stuff in game. Either that or people who were around before will just still call out "HK" anyway.
  13. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

IT WAS ALWAYS CHAINGUN.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Half the time I still see people call out CG, after all.
  15. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

campaign uses bullets, watch the cinematic where they run out of .50 cal ammo b4 they rescue the general.

I like Ghosts use. Most weapon companies are really lazy when they name their weapon systems, unless they stick to the military system. Companies like FN Herstal use the "FN" in their weapons and then use the name of choice that they want, i.e. FN F2000, FN SCAR-H/L, FN P90, HK G36/M/C/K. SO make it simple on yourself.

also, nite is correct when it comes to naming, lazy but organized. Companies go different ways completely here. Some stick to acronyms (SCAR-H/L) and some stick to model numbers (Barrett M82 or M95) and others will use calibers (Cheytec 408). Imo, the model numbers could work best for ur suit when it comes to the only company that probably making these weapons. However this isnt very "eye catching" bc other will see UG-240 or UG-2351437512543 and have a mind full of fuck. I personally prefer acronyms, i.e. UG SAR (squad automatic rifle), UG AMR (Anitmaterial rifle), UG LRSR (long range sniper rifle), UG PDW (personal defense weapon), UG APSG (all purpose shotgun), UG TSA (Tactical Side Arm-this one is cheesy, cant think of something better), UG LPFT (liquid phosphorous Flamethrower).

But this becomes very confusing, so u could throw caliber numbers in to keep sanity.

UG SAR 556
    UG AMR 50 or 416 or 408
    UG LRSR 308 or 338 or 300
    UG PDW 9 (too many variants of calibers for "SMG's"
    UG APSG (all ready says all purpose)
    UG TSA 45
  16. Hades

Hades Member

For simplicity sake:

MP5 Pulse gun
    Chaingun / Railgun / Heavy Machine gun
    Assault Rifle <-
    Uzi™®©?
  17. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Model 42 HAR? (Hybrid Assault Rifle).

Most if not all of these weapons have to be usable in an Earth-like Atmosphere & Climate, as well as in Space, hence adding Hybrid. Its an Assault Rifle, so that is there as well. Not sure what most organizations, governments or military's designate a model type, but the idea behind that is to indicate the Prototype / testing model number, i.e. 42nd Edition of the weapon. Any number will do, but I would expect multiple changes to be done to the core prototype to make it fit for all purposes.
  18. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

UA GPR-12 (General Purpose Rifle, 12 damage)
    UA AR-16M (Assault Rifle, 16 damage, Mass/Mech focus)
    UA HMG-21X (Heavy Machine Gun, 21 damage, piercing)
    UA SMG-11P (Submachine Gun, 11 damage, personnel)
    UA EPR-13S (Energy Pulse Rifle, 13 damage, special-psionic)

You could also swap it around to be:
    UA12 GPR
    UA16M AR
    UA21X HMG
    UA11P SMG
    UA13S EPR
  19. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Recently though I have had a game where everyone was confused out of their minds when I said "cg." The game sadden me deeply.
  20. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

I think this system works - it's logical and reads 'right' for armament nomenclature. UA AR-16M, for example, could be a real gun - if you exercise some suspended disbelief. Dropping these text changes in would like right at home on the map.