New map/mode idea

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by spartanhija, May 16, 2012.

1. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Would any one else like to see a new mode thats a little shorter to beat? Maybe 30-60 min long? Of course with a little less rewards but sonething that doesnt eat up an hour of time.

This would be nice because,
    1) be able to make more lobbies and play with more people faster
    2) if you dont have an hour and a half to devote to joining a lobby, loading game and beating the mission, you dont have to leave mid game or near the end and byrdwn somone else to control you or let the unit die.

Ok im posting this from my phone and i think i clicked on one of the icons above and have a few typos but ill fix when i get home :D
    [hr]
    Byrdwn ^ was supposed to be burden :p typos..
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Usually this topic comes up from time to time, but it's been in the spirit of "Short mode to teach newbies".

It's not a bad idea at all though. I would like to see it as a separate map however. It might be entirely possible to have a "Side Story" for example that covers say, the Flight of the Slasher Ship. Set it so it's a 30 minute game or thereabouts typically. Maybe have it share Bank File information with NOTD. It would also by nature mean having different terrain. Ties in more to Alien, where it'd take place on a ship instead of having a whole ground based colony to run around on.

Can make it very different in game feel as well by giving it more of a Hunter x Hunted suspense and horror feel rather than having thousands of mindless hordelings rushing at you.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Consider that In game time differs from real time, so a 1:30 in game time game actually only lasts about 1 hour real time with a factor of roughly 2/3.

The gain from having a 20 minute shorter real time mode is rather small IMO, but what could be considered is how to make the current game modes flow better that they can take less than 1:30 to begin with.

A lot of recruit mode pubs these days for instance barely last 1:05 while last year they would still have lasted some 1:15 at best
  4. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Well a 30 min game is fine with me. Just a suggestion. Barley** and 1:05 min is actually a long time -_-, considering most ppl either go to school or work and have lives. Of course some dont :p and thats fine. When I say have lives I mean family,friends, pets(?), all being normal daily things that take up time too, er, basically i didnt mean that in a negative way.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

1:05 is game time, which is just around 42 min real time.
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

The thing is, it's just as easy to end up going into an hour and a half, real time, as it is to have three-quarters of an hour, realtime. And you can't really tell which way it'll go at the start of the game. If you're like me you have to make sure that you absolutely have everything cleared out beforehand so that you have 2 hours of time to dedicate to NOTD with no distractions... which is why I so often end up playing at around 3 AM PST.

Having a mode that takes 30 minutes game bizarro time, means you have something you could squeeze into the same time frame you might fit a "Eh... I can play one ladder game before I go to work" without knowing you have to particularly rush and cheese win/suicide in 8 minutes or just leave. Even if you have it set so if it goes long it might only take 40 minutes is a world of difference from having to make sure you have 2 hours to NOTD.
  7. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Was using my phone earlier, and somehow missed your post entirely, that is an even better idea than what I was thinking, and if shared Notd bank file would make it excellent. Thumbs up :D Although I think instead of having a chapter selection (or in addition too) start should have a Selection similar to Ec, Alpha and Apollo,
    1.Newbie/tutorial
    2.Generic Medium mode
    3.Generic Hard mode

[hr]
    Also what I would reeeally like to see, is a few random missions, meaning, sometimes they happen sometimes they dont. And You dont have to do them and it wont effect you negativley but if you do do them you get +rating and xp and possible cred. Something for instance, if it is on a ship, the bridge sends a distress call, its being attacked by waves of zombies, if you can get there in time and protect survivers long enough you get Xp (etc) and some possible enhancment in game, eg, take minis from bridge with you, bridge does something like give control of turrets or seomthing, and to make it interesting, at the same time you get a call from the bridge, somewhere else needs help, and you have to choose which to help ( or beast both) and say the bridge give you turret aid, maybe you head to the armory to help someone there and they give you bonus damage for game or some other perk? or minis or something. Idk i think it sounds good in my head :D
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

We do have side missions (Civs/Cams/Comms/Chem Leak/Seth). The issue right now is that for nearly all story modes, the pacing is such that you can not do all of them and get speed. Some teams can manage to get most of them. Chems/Comms are indeed totally random, sometimes you never get them at all. Speed is the all concerning aspect, Ability wanted to encourage fast playing and so doubled all the non recruit speed bonuses. It, for better or worse, had the exact intended effect, the bonus XP is so high for getting speed that it is not worth it (espcially on NM) to do any side missions that might endanger it. Biggest case in point is EC NM. Cams are 2XP, Seth is 3(5?), Military Base Performance is 3, Mining Camp is 1, Chems is 5 (7 with performance), comms is 2 (3 with performance), Civ truck is 2 (3 with 25 civs), end game truck is 5, City Civs are 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 = 12. Grand total for doing every possible side mission with max gain/performance: 41. EC NM speed bonus: 40. I did not factor in Nydus bonus because all EC NM does those regardless (one could skip it, but I have yet to do a game that did). Doing every side mission entails TON's of risk and unpredictability (Bane cams, civ truck may not go according to plan, comms can spawn TON's of agrons, Chems can also unleash team wiping spawns, Must do airlock civs to even get end game truck, and also delay killing queen to do it). Skipping every bonus and just doing speed is far safer and for equal reward.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

City civs are 15 max and seth is 3 now compared to 5 in the old days.

But AP is very much right.
    Unless you know you are going to miss the speed bonus, you likely will be skipping all the side missions in higher difficulty modes because of the risk of death associated with them or simply because you are spending so much more time getting a bit of xp that you can get from just playing an additional semi-fast game.
  10. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Ok that does make sense but most games i join are recruit or vet and any nm games i can actually get into= fast death, so my experience has been mostly with teams that do ALL objectives almost all the time. But at the same time i dont play as much online so maybe i just need a little more game time.