New Inventory System

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Instead of making a radical change with the inventory system, why don't we make clever use of our ability to customize UIs?

Keep the current positions and clickability of what we have now, and replace the clunky boxes with UI buttons. UI buttons being the same things used for talents, attacks, etc. UI buttons are consistent and work without fail. They can be scaled and customized and placed wherever, so we can keep the setup we have now, but actually make it work.

This also adds bonus gravy in the form of possible hotkeys for at least the first 4 inventory slots.

Right click can be used to "ready" an item, then the player can left click another item slot to swap the position of the item, or click the ground to drop it.

Anyone see an issue with this?
  2. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Mmmmmmm, I could see testing it out and if it doesn't take off, reverting back to the current and continuing to attempt making a better UI inventory.
  3. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I would enjoy a simple left click equip, right click drop system, with the buttons fixed somehow.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Less is always more with inventories.
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Starcraft II has a hard coded inventory that is largely based on the WCIII hero inventory system. It's used on literally every other map I can think of that sports an inventory, and I've never had issues with it.

Generally they feature the left click use, right click drop system, or click and drag (to ground) to drop.
  6. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

It can follow either WC3 system (6 slots), WOW system (shitload of slots) and DA 2 System, as well as additional 12-24 slot bags etc, it would be easy to modify them.