New Class Discussion

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Blaze, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Ghostel

Ghostel New Member

Arturia, good point and i totally agree that now new classes is the least NOTD needs.

I was just talking about difference between people ideas of "ADD NEW CLASS" and "REPLACE OLD ONE". Or more that lately when people suggest new class to add it's somehow always ends about replacing another and developers ALSO only imagine this new class as one which will be replacing old...
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

RE: NOTD Suggestions

No. It doesn't. Adding a class includes a ninth option to the selection queue, which means that picking eight unique classes is easier because now you can choose to replace one of the base eight with the new class. Adding a new class to Survival lacks this issue, but I can't fathom a reason to have a Survival-exclusive class. Every class is playable in at least two campaigns (not counting random), so limiting a single class to a single campaign (again, not counting random) is far too much effort for far too little reward.

... Yeah. That's the nature of a beta: balance and troubleshooting of the concept happens by the community involved with the product.

You'd be surprised. People get awfully butthurt when you change what is already in place, even if you're only adding content.

I will give you this one, because you're right. That is an advantage.

That's... not a thing, nor has it ever been. The reason that it's always been 8 classes plus the random button is because that's what NOTD was balanced around. Survival is different because it's all of the enemies in NOTD come to play without the campaign missions to be the supposed balancing factor between class interactions.
  3. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Normally I try not to pick nits because it is annoying and doesn't help the discussion, but this one bugs me a bit.

Assault is ec only.
    Flamethrower is alpha only.
    Tech is sec team only.
    Demo is ec only.
    Fo is alpha only.
    Chem is sec team only.
    Pathy is sec team only.
    Psi ops is sec team only.

Rifle, Medic, Recon, MM, Engi, and Mando are the only ones in more than one storyline.
    8 out of 14 classes are limited to one story line, so limiting a single class to a single campaign is more common than not. (about 57% for you number lovers)
  4. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Kith is considering survival a campaign. Having a survival only class will only be available in the survival campaign instead of survival and at least one more.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

And Ozy wins the prize. Survival is indeed a campaign. Non-canonical to the standard storyline, but still a campaign.
  6. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Well, there I go, making a fool of myself. In my opinion it's more of a challenging sandbox mode than a core element of the game, but that's just my opinion. Thanks for clearing it up for me. My foot tastes an awful lot like cotton candy.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

No big. And Survival is very much a core element: It's NOTD's raw gameplay without storyline side-missions or quests.
  8. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I have a revolutionary game-breaking idea. (Kith might even hate me for it)
    ARCADE
    No rewards/penalties.
    The testing grounds for new classes and weapons etcetera
    test slot: copy a class, and implement talents/balance as needed.
    10kxp requirement and above, arcade mode enable, choose a storyline to balance class for, and go from there.
  9. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Summarized: Sandbox mode for NOTD.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

So, -dev mode.

Nah.

Devs can do what they need when they need to. If you wanna test shit from any storyline with any equipment, play Survival.