Moon Pets: Funkadelic Suggestions and Discussions on Proper Roles

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Just had a pub where a guy with 561 xp stayed around after dying till end.
    He reached about level 10 but never gained cloak field which I know you normally get regardless of player XP.

So another stealth change?
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Pet Types:

Classified into 3 Primary Roles of DPS, Scout, and Tank.
    The classification relates to in relation to the other classes; The Tank Predator will not be comparable to Assault, Demolitions, Flamethrower, or Technician in Tankiness, but relative to the DPS and Scout Predator, it will be more tankier.

Yup. I have too much time, and made some seriously unbalanced things there; but the general idea is 3 groups would be a better option to narrow it down to; that was just a sample idea (with bad numbers)
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Before we can enact role-specific pets, we have to answer a question.

Do we want a death-toy that can serve the purpose of a living player? If so, then what is the punishment for death?
  4. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Well at the moment, death means your forfeit multiple medals (MoH, Lifesaving, Silver Star I think, CAR), half the XP going forward, CP, and -10 rating. Losing your pet now forfeits bronze medal. At this point the only reasons to stick around after death is to help team or get credits.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

You also lose out on Expeditionary. Least I have been losing out on Expeditionary myself if I am a predator. Though the rest of my team still gets it.

But in the end, I think there is a sweet spot to hit where having a "Role specific pet" doesn't mean "Replaces X Class/Role". It should be quite possible to have a pet that is Ranged. Or more Tanky. Or more Mobile. Or had a special ability or two without really taking anything away from the Marines. For example, having a more "Mobile" pet as I've seen suggested before isn't going to take away from the SubMM or MobCon. Due to having a lack of inventory in the Recon's case, and not reaching anywhere near as much DPS as the Subtlety Marksman, and not being able to Activate hexes/objectives. But it could be a good running mate to the MobCon/SubMM, giving them a bit more survivability and freedom to operate. Particularly if they got some unique ability as they leveled up to help the role.
  6. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm this?
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Nope, you get it even if you are dead.
  8. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Then ArcturusV must surrender his bank to the Developers or continue suffering insensible losses.
  9. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

I think the concept is refreshing, and I would like to see it as a part of the game. I haven't played much as of late, but I gather pets don't 'attack' automatically anymore? Does this mean 'attack move' doesn't work now?
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Attack Move works. Just you won't attack at all without Attack Moving or right clicking an enemy. Your predator will just sit there and let even a single parasite chew it unto death unless you force order an attack. It won't even auto run like say, a SCV in vanilla StarCraft would, or your Marines when they are reloading. Just sits there like a bump on a log and will let itself get chewed up.
  11. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Ah. I see how this might be a problem. Maybe the pets should be allowed to run away? Sometimes There's so much going on in the screen that players might not notice they're being hit. It still prevents afkers from leeching exp as the pets would run off and likely away from the group.
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Can we separate the shock field from a pet's primary attack? I'd prefer to see it turned into "kitty knife". Give it the same hotkey (D), and set its cooldown to the predator's melee attack speed.

This will a) make pets more active to play and b) solve the issue of the new Piranha Missiles robbing the pet of all AOE. In addition, when your pet decides it's going to prioritize the giant Muta ball coming at you over the 3 parasites eating your ass, holding D can keep you from getting eaten.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

That would be awesome, actually, and would clear up a lot of the problems that are with pets currently. If we do this, could we potentially also make the shock hit air, considering that it's now skill based instead of attack based?
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Wouldn't be a bad thing. It will also solve the issue of "This mutalisk is tickling me and I don't have Piranha Missile yet!"

This might also allow the Hydralisk to use its damn attack animation!
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

That's what I had figured. Potentially also have the same damage increase per rank as the Knife, or damage increase per Pet level?
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Per rank. Mos def.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

This will also C) Encourage newer players to use their combat knife while alive.
  18. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Wait, Shockwave field is a weapon, not an Ability.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I am pretty sure we could make a "drop damage template on self, do not deal damage to self or allies" ability.
  20. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Or just make a 360⁰ Combat Knife and give it the shockwave field's animation. New players die a lot. Get them in the habit of holding D.