Moon Pets: Funkadelic Suggestions and Discussions on Proper Roles

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

On that note, can we go back to having predators (and their variant cohorts) auto-attacking, but with a shiny hold fire button? The lack of auto attack makes them more frustrating than they are worth at times.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

RE: Questions and Suggestions.

I feel that Pets should manually attack to keep the dead players active vs. afk passengers leeching. The added "hassle" of manual attack could be seen as a punishment for dying maybe. In the past, some people (including me) felt the pets were too easy to use and also got too powerful quickly. The effort/reward ratio needed to be toned down. I don't have problems getting my pet where I need them to be (>50 kills for medals, get to cloak eventually).
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Now its far to enticing to just right click a character liable to suck up lots of exp or needing some extra protection, then just go afk. Cat will level eventually, and you can go afk at your leisure. Also, if you died early enough its almost guaranteed provided the player you followed lives, that you will both live, and reach cloaking, eventually.
  4. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Can we change predator's leveling to be entirely based on the kills he gets, as well as infestor deaths and boss deaths? I know I have in the past suicided leavers that I'm not interested in controlling and then just making the kitty follow me so I have a free cloak field later on.
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Then we just run into the old problems where there's not nearly enough spawns to justify predator not getting exp from the team. The thing is hard pressed as is to kill stalkers, and unless you're level 9 (with 5k exp) you aren't going to be killing mutas anytime soon.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Remove the attack function from pets and only give it to specific "DPS" pets.
    Grant all pets a "damage aura" that deals roughly the same DPS as a pet does while attacking and fires automatically when the enemy is in the correct proximity.
    Bundle the damage aura with the Occular Implants upgrade.

Result: Pets are divided into specific categories: Tanky and DPS. The more fragile ones should have the attack function so they are branded as the "damage" pets that are capable of dealing more damage but are more fragile as a tradeoff. DPS pets also receive the damage aura. All pets still receive the rockets upgrade that gives them a standard attack so they can focus fire flying units or bosses.

The "damage aura" (I'm thinking NOTD:AM's knife) will only be granted in the event of the pet leveling a couple times, making it less likely that a player will kill themselves immediately to access the pet. This will discourage Pub NM Bronze farming, and also make the medal more difficult to achieve, therefore making its difficulty more in-line with the other medals. At current, one can get two Lev.3 Bronze Stars in half an hour by farming it with a friend. It is essentially a free stat point.

The "damage aura" being ability based rather than a standard attack will make attack move useless, and therefore a great deal of kiting required to effectively damage or kill anything.

The "damage aura" will be able to be used on the move, as it is passive. However, its range is short. This will make getting kills more skill-based by dancing just out of range of attacks throughout the game. Levels increase the damage aura's range by 0.1 or 0.2.

If we're interested in customizing pets further, give the Hydralisk and Murloc Marine 5 range, reduce their hitpoints, and remove the splash effect from their attacks.

Wahey, pet balance.

Edit: Why not the Tauren Marine? Because he's got the build for a tanky sort of pet and also he's got what appears to be a shotgun with a battleaxe bayonet.
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I noticed there's a rather long delay between the screen going black and the score screen appearing now where nothing is happening at all.

Is that intentional?
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The manual save is writing your bank. Fires again when you click mission button.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

I'd rather not have ranged pets, especially hydralisks. <.<

I don't like the idea of a damage aura as it only exacerbates the current issue of just following people.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Just throwing out ideas. And I'd like to have ranged pets. Like two or three. Horrible stats, but ranged attack.
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Maybe if they did do ranged pets have it something like:

No normal attack. Given an attack ability. It deals say, 50 damage. Range 6. 2 second cool down.
  12. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

I would rather not have ranged pets because they would just make people afk more, plus the way pets use to be were so much fun and required you to actually do something opposed to now where you practically do nothing to get cloak.
  13. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Pets are something you get after you're DEAD. They should be, by definition, extremely UP, and take a lot of skill to turn into a driving force for a team. With the current system, all you have to do to is stay alive and you have cloak field by the muta wave.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Just set a prerequisite kill count to gain a level. 10 kills per level would be sufficient as kills can be sparse in Apollo, too risky in Alpha, and too easily stolen in Easy. You'd have to have at least 80 kills to obtain the Mothership Connection (google dat) which can't be done without modest micro, especially in anything but the earliest waves.
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

While we're at it, get rid of the current field cloak, make kitty anti-air missiles level 8, and have level 9 grant a toggle cloak field named "Mothership Connection" that has no activation cost but drains 1 energy port second. No more permacloak, no more newbies being more useful dead than alive, pets now have to pay attention to energy, Tassadar and his ilk get more love, and anyone who had ever listened to 70's Funk gets a reference.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Sounds good to me. I've never liked the cloaking field, it's way too powerful for something that the player gets as a result of dying. Honestly, I'd rather we not have a cloaking field at all and the bonus be replaced with RA, but that's just me.

The reason for this is that a pet becoming marginally more durable is not going to break the game. Yes, it will be able to tank things, but it won't be able to aid the team by making them fucking invisible as a passive ability.
  17. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

RA would be too powerful.
    Anything with 4-5 armor and RA effect is immune to queen attacks
  18. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Forget that, you already have C6 at level 10.

Try this:

Levels 1-7 proceed as normal.

Level 8 is AA gunz

Level 9 is C6

Level 10 then becomes cloak field, but in the form of Mothership Connection, the toggle-able ubercloak.

Level 11 varies depending on pet.
    -DPS pets gain a significant damage bonus. (Hydralisk, Tauren Marine, Zeratul, Terratron)
    -Tank pets gain health regeneration, or have the delay removed. (Predator, Brutalisk, Hybrid Reaver, Diablo)
    -Support pets gain energy regeneration. (Tassadar, Kerrigan, Lurker, Hybrid Destroyer)
    -Murloc Marine dies in a cancer fire. Srsly...

[hr]

This differentiates pets a bit more, but not so much that they can fill roles that they shouldn't, and then not until very late in the game. Don't forget, right now level 11 does absolutely nothing.
  19. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Guess my ranged idea was a no go. Though it isn't something that can be AFKed unlike the argument against Ranged Pets.

I wouldn't mind pets losing the Cloaker Field. I don't even think it would need the Mothership Connection. Though I WILL say that if the Cloaking Field is replaced by Mothership Connection, I would want to see the Pet Cloak activate Master of Subtlety again. Escape will, so why not a toggle based limited time team cloak?

I like Longbolts being at level 8 and otherwise moving things down the chain in the vacuum left by Godfield. I would want to see level 11 actually do something. I remember my crushing disappointment when I realized that RA was taken away after coming back.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I really hate the idea of a sustainable Escape. Really, really, really hate it. I think it's way too goddamn powerful for something that's only supposed to come to you when you're dead. I showed an example of this when Nite and I did some Nightmare runs with two Thundercats and an Opsmando. We were permanently invisible by Milbase, and tanky enough to stall anything that could see us long enough for Nite to kill it.