Mind Link

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by MSluiter, Jan 13, 2013.

1. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

New mind link:
    If two players are linked the damage is normal damage now instead of affecting only HP. So if Player 1 takes damage (regardless of to shield or HP), player 2 will initially lose shield until their shield is gone, then they will start losing HP.

Old mind link:
    Any damage, including shield damage, was transferring damage to HP of others.

My impression was that the intention of mind link was that shields are completely taken out of the equation, and damage to HP is transferred to the HP of linked players. I think when it was posed as a bug people thought this was the intent, not damage should be applied to shield 1st.

The main problem with the new mind link is that you count on shields to protect you from hits and ailments and unexpectedly losing all of you shield, and having them down permanently if someone is getting hit, can cause some real trouble. Now, I pretty much never want anyone to use mind link on me.

I’d like to see mind link only affect HP. Short of that, go back to the old version.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

3. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Yes. This is more to discuss what to do now outside ot the bug list. My opinion is that it’s not a very useful ability now, and I would only use it in Hades fight as PO and would never want anyone to link me as not PO.
  4. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

The issue (from where I'm sitting) is what does ML trigger on (HP damage, Shield damage, any damage), what damage does it do (HP only, Shield only, both).
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I feel it should trigger on HP damage and deal HP damage
  6. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

I too agree with this, but I think that puts too much strain on the programmers to code such a thing. Personally, what we have now with mindlink damaging shields before damaging health is fine by me. It's not as if this is affecting the game play of NOTD adversely.
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Like I was saying to AP in test game, we have a tracker on hp damage (hits/damage taken in team bar) which would be used with old routine of ML that applied direct as HP damage
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Hehehe, let me do some magic tonight/tomorrow, may be able to do this entirely in data anyhow.
  9. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm fine with it being HP on HP damage.
  10. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Need to clarify exactly the interaction people are expecting. From what I understand, the following should happen

Unit A has 30 shields, is Mind Linked with 3 others with level 3 Mind Link and takes 100 damage. This 100 damage is reduced to 55. This 55 then does 30 to shields, and 25 to HP. This remaining 25 should be divided up and deal 6 damage to each unit.

If so, might be tricky to pull off. I currently can reduce damage easily, and then divide the damage and do it to HP only (ignoring shields). The issue is that I can not (at least not yet) distinguish shield damage from HP damage, in order to properly calculate damage to be distributed.

Currently the damage is reduced, then the remaining damage divided up and dealt to the units MLed, but this means shield damage inflicted on Unit A will cause HP damage on all other units.
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Yeah, that's probably the expected behavior though it would be cool if only hp damage was reduced (probs way too difficult).

In regards to the problem, how does the teambar hit/damage taken counter work at present? I seem to recall that the damage taken variable is a bit funky at times (in that the first damage past your shield is collected as total damage and damage thereafter as proper hp damage taken) meaning its running into the same conundrum as you.

When a unit takes damage, is it possible to make the trigger/script check for shields of unit at time of damage taken and then use this in calculation for mind link?
  12. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Hits are done by trigger, with rules excluding what damage sources count. Currently, self inflicted damage does not trigger hits, and the ML shared damage runs as a damage effect from the player at the player (if that can make any sense), so it will never count for hits.

I'll look into that, I think I can do some comparisons at damage time to determine this,