Mimics

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Here's an idea from an asshole:

Why not have an enemy that spawns disguised as a random item (AP Ammo, Barrett, C4, etc) that cannot be distinguished from the real deal (including being invincible) until interacted with? When the player goes to pick up the Mimic, it becomes vulnerable (low health; easy kill) and its only ability is to hug the player (see where I'm going with this?) at a super short range. It can't ninja hug you out of nowhere; you'd have to be on top of it. As long as you're with another player, they pose very little threat. However, if you're off item whoring (and aren't a cloaked mobility recon or his flying purple item eater) you can kiss your HMG stealing ass goodbye.

Adds an element of surprise, makes it harder to be an item whoring dick, and is going to provide many laughs for all to share.
  2. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

So it's some sort of a glue trap? What if you tried to pick it up, realising that it was not an item, and decide to walk around it?

If that thing is also in recruit mode, a new tip for "Don't mindlessly pick up everything you find on the ground" might be needed ^^
  3. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

HEY HEY HEY. Don't touch my HMG.... but other than that, great idea. It would let go on stun, right?
  4. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

I like this a lot. It's like it's in disguise for something you'd want right! :D!!
  5. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

I like it a lot too will teach players not to steal weapons. Also, this can be a problem in an Apollo game during the armory scout sequence. Usually, a large majority of the team will be alone to maximize the 10-15 minutes of scout time.
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

no Ryan. Those items are spawned from a different trigger.

The mimics would be their own trigger and spawn independently of the current item set, as these mimics aren't even items.
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Go a step further and make that (assimilated) player's goal to make the team fail (they have say 5 mins to get cured otherwise objective/team change) :D
  8. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

lets just change every enemy in the game to huggers, stranglers and cocoons.
  9. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

What mob recon runs around cloaked all the time? the answer is none. unless they are purely a terrible player.

i think the asshole needs to rethink that idea or just say that mob con needs to be removed completely.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Yeah, can we please not completely fuck over the Mobcon and make him obsolete forever? That'd be sweet. I know selfish players are an issue, but not so much I'm willing to condone screwing a class out of a job.
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Let's all assume stuff! That's a great idea!

Mobility Recon is only hampered by this if he lets himself be.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

... To cloak before every item pickup? I don't really think that's very fair.
  13. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

A mimic that hugs? Not a great idea. However a alternative that is also anti rambo but does not affect a fast moving mobcon, is to booby trap random items. Place a trigger on items and when you pick it up, have a small squad of enemies unburrow roughly 5-6 distance away (Stalkers, Ghouls, Normal zombies). Mob con is naturally fast and with reflexes, even more so, so he can thread between enemies, whereas a less agile class will have more difficulty.
  14. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

That would be much more of a sensible approach because it does not make it into an instant death trap, because it is possible to escape (repulse, charge, sonics, high DPS, any cc or movement skill overall).
  15. Shooz
    • Donator

This is Jurassic Park Three and we are dealing with raptors that set traps!
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Why don't you just not try to fuck with the mobcon and instead learn how to tk item whores?