Menotes in Newbie

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Pyromaniac, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

Menotes should remain in newbie mode as without it, it makes newbie mode that much more predictable. Alongside the issue of less predictability comes with the fact that people new to vet will have never seen menotes, and will likewise will have to be explained how menotes works. Menotes is supposed to teach newbs to pay attention, and removing it seems to be taking a step back towards improving the overall skill and knowledge of the community.
  2. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Whaaaa? Menoetes removed from Recruit Mode in Easy Company? :huh:

How come? He was great teaching new players to move when they have to. Its not like he was hard or overkill in Recruit Mode, plus he makes such entertainment to go hunt down.
  3. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

i think it was a matter of too much free xp =XX

come to think of it, i haven't seen meno much lately. no wonder i was so bored during post-ere1 wave.. just sittin there and occasionally pressing the reload button..
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Yeah, I would like to keep him in newbie mode but require 1600+SR to spawn.
    Some more introduction to Menoetes in newbie mode would be useful too along the lines of "avoid those worms" or "that oversized lurker is spawning them, let's kill it" or "stun it to disorient it, so we can go in for the kill"
  5. Pyromaniac

What ghost says is a good idea. I had not thought of a minimum SR requirement, but after hearing such an idea, I believe 1650+ would be more appropriate.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

1650 means everyone is seasoned or mostly seasoned.
    1600 means that you have half newbie half better players
  7. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I say keep him in all squad ratings and just have a big red flashing message when he spawns that says DODGE THE FUCKING NYDUS WORMS.
  8. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

Agreed.
  9. Pyromaniac

Does anyone here disagree with my basic opinion which is dont remove Menotes?
  10. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Why was he even removed? I haven't seen any posts about it even in the BO forum.
  11. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

You don't even need a warning. The red box should be enough, and it warns newbie's to avoid red boxes in the future (such as Black Ops Gunship dots).
    And yeah, I have no idea why he was removed, seems a strange way to go about teaching people to avoid things.
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I agree. Mentos hammers home the need to keep situational awareness around your marine. Even if you are sitting back and dropping bombs at range 20. It's a good basic skill that newbies have to pick up at one point or another.

Simply put in Newbie Mode I've never seen anything spawn from a MEATeor. So the Nydus Bomb is pretty much the only thing forcing people to pay attention to where they are standing, not counting the very rare troll spawn. But those mostly just happen when kiting Eos.
  13. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I've seen brain bugs spawn from those. I don't know if it was removed though.
  14. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

Nope.
  15. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

or instead of removing have it deal or not fatal damage only punish people with cripple.
    for newbie only.
  16. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I think that the cripple should only be applied if it pierces your shields; other then that, I <3 Mentos.

Hes the cause of Despair and rage, and the hunting of him may result in idiotic moments, but it gives a sense of reward. You just killed Mentos who was busy trying to hammer your team.
  17. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

I see no reason to remove Meno from newbie mode. Teaching new players to watch where they are standing is a good thing. If we're going to put an sr requirement on it, I've got to lean toward the 1650 side, but I think this is a difference in servers. I very very rarely see a newbie game under 1600 (and am always surprised when it happens). When I join a pub with a rating ~1900, this alone drags up the sr high enough so I don't see the 1500s hardly at all, but I hear that on other servers people keep their rating lower so maybe pub games' sr aren't as affected by 1 vet joining.
  18. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

It was a discussion with Peera on Vent. Anyway, I'm fine to keep it on higher SR games since this is practically unanimous.