Medic 2.0

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Because the current one is underwhelming and/or bad.

Overall changelog:
    Innates have been changed to better support both trees.
    Healer tree has been renamed to Lifesaver and is geared towards better usability and impact.
    Caster tree has been renamed to Malpractice and is geared towards more entertaining gameplay and a higher effectiveness.

For visuals and buttons: If nothing is listed, they do not need changing.

INNATES
    Ability Name: Medical Professional
    Ability Button Description:
    Medics gain Rating at double the normal rate.
    Effect:
    Medics gain Rating at double the normal rate. Note that this does not impact rating loss.

Ability Name: Improved Generator
    Medics have 25% higher Base Energy Regeneration than other classes.
    Effect:
    The Medic has 1.25 base energy regeneration instead of 1.

LIFESAVER
    New heal-y Medic is better at ailment management than its previous incarnation.

TIER 1
    Ability Name:
    Heal
    Ability Description:
    Channel to restore hitpoints to the target allied unit.

Level 1: Restores 4 hitpoints and removes 1 Open Wound per second.
    Level 2: Heal can be channeled while moving.
    Level 3: Doubled healing efficiency.

“Go, heal-beam!”
    Level 1: Restore 4 hitpoints per second and remove 1 Open Wound per second.
    Level 2: Restore 4 hitpoints per second and remove 1 Open Wound per second.
    Level 3: Restore 8 hitpoints per second and remove 2 Open Wounds per second.
    Ability Cost: 2 Energy per second
    Ability Cooldown: None
    Ability Filters: Ground, Air, Biological, Allied
    Ability Range: 3
    Effect:
    See Ability Button Description. Level 2+ Heal can be used while the Medic is moving, but cannot be used while attacking. If the Medic takes damage while Heal is active, Heal is canceled.
    Visuals:
    Level 1 uses the casting animation. Level 2+ does not use an animation, but the beam is produced from the Medic's left hand. The already existing visuals will be sufficient and do not need changing.
    Transient: No
    Hotkey: Q, Right-clicking an allied unit

Ability Name: Haste
    Ability Description:
    Increase the speed of the target allied unit.

Level 1: Increases Movement Speed by 20% for 60 seconds.
    Level 2: Repairs Fractures and Broken Bones on cast.
    Level 3: Also increases Attack Speed by 20%.

“Gotta go fast!”
    Level 1: Increases the Movement Speed of the target unit by 20% for 60 seconds.
    Level 2: Increases the Movement Speed of the target unit by 20% for 60 seconds and repairs Fractures and Broken Bones.
    Level 3: Increases the Movement and Attack Speed of the target unit by 20% for 60 seconds and repairs Fractures and Broken Bones.
    Ability Cost: 10 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 12 Seconds
    Ability Range: 4
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation. The already existing visuals will be sufficient and do not need changing.
    Hotkey: W

TIER 2
    Ability Name:
    Weave
    Ability Description:
    Restores hitpoints to the target unit over time.

Level 1: Restores 5 hitpoints per second for 10 seconds.
    Level 2: Restores 5 hitpoints per second for 20 seconds.

“Hands-free healing? Sign me up, I'm tired of holding this thing steady.”
    Restore 5 hitpoints per second to the target unit for 10/20 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 30 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 20 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation.
    DarkBlinkIn.m3 once per second, attached to the center of the target unit.
    Hotkey: T

Ability Name: Detox
    Ability Description:
    Rids the target of any poisons or venoms.

Level 1: Removes all Venom and Poison effects from the target unit.
    Level 2: Provides Venom and Poison immunity for 60 seconds.

“For the record, "a bad hangover" is not a sanctioned use.”
    Level 1: Instantly cures the target unit of all Venom and Poison effects.
    Level 2: Instantly cures the target unit of all Venom and Poison effects and renders them immune to such effects for 60 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 20 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 10 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. "Poisons" will be clarified on an individual basis, but for now means the Venom effect.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation. The already existing visuals will be sufficient and do not need changing.
    Hotkey: E

TIER 3
    Ability Name:
    Purify
    Ability Description:
    A powerful single-target heal that restores the target unit to perfect health.

Level 1: After a 2.5 second delay, restores 100% of health and removes all ailments.

“If this doesn't fix you, I don't know what to tell you.”
    After a 2.5 second delay, restores 100% of the target unit's health and removes all ailments.
    Ability Cooldown: 60 Seconds
    Ability Range: 8
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation. ConsumptionImpact.m3 for the charging period, FungalGrowthMissileImpact.m3 for the healing pulse.
    Hotkey: G

Ability Name: Protect
    Ability Description:
    Release a pulse of energy that grants nearby allies a temporary shield.

Level 1: All allied units within a 6 radius gain 100 Shields and 4 Shield Armor for 15 seconds.

Behold! The Impregnabubble!
    All allied units within a 6 radius gain 100 Shields and 4 Shield Armor for 15 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 50 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 40 Seconds
    Ability Range: 6 radius centered on the Medic
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Visuals:
    Being transient, the Medic does not have a specific animation in casting this ability. The already existing visuals will be sufficient and do not need changing.
    Transient: Yes

MALPRACTICE
    Now featuring more engaging gameplay and less button spamming.

TIER 1
    Ability Name: Push It
    Ability Description:
    Fires a projectile that deals damage in a line.

Level 1: Deals 150 damage.
    Level 2: Increased effect width, slows targets by 20% for 4 seconds.
    Level 3: Once reaching maximum range, projectile returns.

“Nanotech scalpels are extremely dangerous - they're small and sharp enough to go through just about anything.”
    Ability Button Icon: btn-upgrade-protoss-researchgravitysling.dds
    Level 1: Deals 150 damage in a line.
    Level 2: Deals 150 damage in a line. Damaged enemies have their Movement Speed lowered by 20% for 4 seconds.
    Level 3: Deals 150 damage in a line and then returns. Damaged enemies have their Movement Speed lowered by 20% for 4 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 10 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 6 Seconds
    Ability Filters: Ground, Air, Enemy
    Effect:
    Shoot an energy ball in a line that deals 150 damage in a 0.75 width/8 length line. It should be noted that the impact is not instant - damage requires that the projectile come in contact with enemies to damage them (similarly to Uther's Holy Radiance, just faster).
    Level 2 increases the projectile's size to 1.5.
    Level 3 causes a similar projectile to be spawned by the original's death that homes in on the Medic's location. The "return" projectile deals 200 damage to enemy units it touches and disappears once it touches the Medic.
    Visuals:
    Level 1 uses PhaseCannonMissile.m3 for the projectile. Level 2+ ses ArcadePlasmaMissile.m3.
    Hotkey: F

Ability Name: Crackdown
    Ability Description:
    Unleash damaging electricity at a target location.

Level 1: Deals 100 damage to up to 4 units in a 3.5 radius.
    Level 2: Lightning bolts bounce up to 2 times, dealing 50 damage per bounce.
    Level 3: Single targets will take full damage from all bolts.

“A little extra juice and a nanotech defibrillator will discharge like an arc flash.”
    Ability Button Icon: btn-ability-kerrigan-chainreaction.dds
    Level 1: Deals 100 damage to up to 4 enemies in a 3.5 radius.
    Level 2: Deals 100 damage to up to 4 enemies in a 3.5 radius. Bolts bounce up to 2 times to nearby targets, dealing 50 damage.
    Level 3: Deals 100 damage to up to 4 enemies in a 3.5 radius. Bolts bounce up to 2 times to nearby targets, dealing 50 damage.

If Crackdown is used on a single target, it deals 800 damage and doesn't bounce.
    Ability Cost: 15 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 10 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Bounce range for Level 2+ is 4.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation. Beams are produced from the Medic's left hand and are attached to the hit areas of the affected units.
    TempestGroundBeam.m3 for the initial attack and bounce effects.
    ArchonBeam.m3 for the single target version.
    Hotkey: V

TIER 2
    Ability Name:
    Clean Hit
    Ability Description:
    Stuns the target enemy.

Level 1: Target enemy is stunned for 4 seconds.
    Level 2: Target enemy takes 15% additional damage while stunned.

“A detox can quickly become a brutal system shock if you overdo it.”
    Ability Button Icon: btn-ability-protoss-feedback-color.dds
    Level 1: Stun the target enemy for 4 seconds.
    Level 2: Stun the target enemy for 4 seconds. Target takes 15% increased damage while stunned.
    Ability Cooldown: 18 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Effect is applied instantly.
    Visuals:
    MothershipMissile.m3 for the projectile fired from the Medic's left hand, AdeptSoulMissileImpact.m3 for the projectile impacting the target. As with all stun effects, stunned units have UnitStunImpact.m3 overhead for the duration of their stun.
    Hotkey: H

Ability Name: Hot & Heavy
    Ability Description:
    Push It and Crackdown gain splash damage.

Level 1: Damaged targets deal 10 damage to nearby enemies.
    Level 2: Abilities mark targets. Damaging marked units causes 20 additional damage.

“There's often residual nanotech left over from operations, so be careful what you do around repeat patients.”
    Ability Button Icon: btn-ability-kerrigan-crushinggrip.dds
    Effect:
    Level 1: Damaging an enemy with Push It or Crackdown also deals 10 damage to enemies in a 2.0 radius centered on the damaged unit, similar to the High Explosive Ammo Mod effect.
    Level 2: In addition to the above effect, enemies damaged by Push It or Crackdown are marked for 5 seconds. When the applying player damages them again, they take 20 damage. Mark behavior can be triggered by any damage produced by the applying player - weapons, Push It/Crackdown, even Hot & Heavy's splash damage from Level 1.
    Visuals:
    DarkTemplarWeaponImpact.m3 is added to all units damaged by Push It and Crackdown.
    The mark behavior's visual is ProbeImpact.m3. The mark behavior's activation visual is PhoenixOverloadImpact.m3.

TIER 3
    Ability Name:
    Overdose
    Ability Description:
    Deals scaling damage over time and slows the target based on damage taken.

Level 1: Deals 10% of the target's Current Health in damage over 10 seconds and lowers their Movement and Attack Speed by 0.5% per 1% of missing health.

“Originally developed to combat cancerous tumors, incorrect settings can cause the subject to be eaten from the inside out.”
    Ability Button Icon: btn-ability-zerg-oldparasite-color.dds
    Deals 10% of the target's Current Health in damage over 10 seconds and lowers their Movement and Attack Speed by 0.5% per 1% of missing health.
    Ability Cost: 50 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 60 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Deals 1% Current Health in damage every second.
    Visuals:
    HybridSuckBlackMissile.m3 for the projectile fired from the Medic's left hand, CorrosiveBileImpactB.m3 for the damage over time effect.

Ability Name: Deadline
    Ability Description:
    Cause the target unit to explode on death. Explosion spreads the effect up to two times.

Level 1: Target unit explodes on death, dealing 800 damage in a radius of 4.

“As wonderful as nanotech is, something as simple as a stomach pump can turn into an absolute tragedy if the operator is unskilled.”
    Ability Button Icon: btn-upgrade-zerg-rupture.dds
    When the target unit dies, it deals 800 damage to enemy units in a 4 radius. This effect can spread up to two times.
    Ability Cost: 40 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 50 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. The base explosion applies a secondary version of the debuff to units that are damaged by the original. The secondary version applies a tertiary version that only deals damage. Units that die instantly to an explosion's damage also explode - there is no "incubation" period.
    Visuals:
    CorruptedMissile.m3 for the projectile fired from the Medic's left hand, BioStasisMissileImpact.m3 for the explosive death visual.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I like this for what it is, no objections.

Am curious, what happened to old medic, why re-do it?
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

• Due to Marine Actions being cut, the Medic's Innate "Medical Training" is obsolete.
    • The Support tree was out of balance. Players felt that the abilities either didn't do enough or were too powerful.
    • The ability First Aid did too much; Heal was too versatile and powerful even without "Medical Expertise". Antivenom was too weak and spam-heavy to be considered fun, and players expressed disappointment that a stack of Antivenom items could do the same job effectively (and faster (and with less energy)).
    • Medical Expertise was its own can of worms - being unable to cure more than Venom stacks until Tier 2 meant that it was a must-have.
    • Nano-Weave was either "meh" or overpowered, depending on the presence of Medical Expertise.
    • Nano-Shield's range meant that it required little positioning strategy, which players were disappointed by.
    • Few, if any, liked Nano-Strength, and requested a burst heal of some variety to replace it. The Medic's focus of "over time" healing left little room for clutch.
    • The Offense tree suffered much of the same problem that Support did, without the "too powerful" part: Players felt that abilities were too spam-heavy and lacked "oomph", as a result they felt that the Offense tree was the objectively "wrong" one compared to Support.
    • Nano-Shock lacked impact. Aftershock, while helpful in making Nano-Shock less bad, required the player to mash the keyboard to get the most out of it, something that was not a popular decision.
    • Volatile Injection was neat but lacked damage, and Intolerable Cruelty did not satisfy the requirement.
    • Nano-Sear was okay, but it was too complicated. Players also expressed concerns that it was too similar to the planned Chemical Expert abilities.
    • Nano-Plague was just uninspired and underwhelming. While it could spread by means of Volatile Injection, it required more effort than most ultimates to get the most out of it.
    The overall problem with the currently implemented Medic design is that I didn't follow Quality over Quantity. I was trying to keep the player occupied with managing all of the different skills because I didn't want the Medic to be too easy, but I forgot that NOTD 2 was not an easy game and that the Medic was supposed to be an easy class. On top of that, replacing a Medic in NOTD 2 right now is fairly easy if you have an attentive Recon - I'd prefer the Medic's skills as a healer to be a little bit more difficult to replicate.

Also, it's been over a year since I designed the initial Medic skillset, and I have learned a lot in that time about ability polish and impact.
  4. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Time to start saving those precious few moments with Nano-Strength. Frankly, without Nano-Strength, what is the point of ever picking up the crowbar? Are there any planned skills that would buff melee damage, rotation speed, etc, like Nano Strength did? [Or something? I enjoy using the roflbar.]

I like the new Malpractice tree. Usually only ever went Nano-Med to dink around, but I could see this being pretty cool. [Maybe makes it so 2nd medic for randoms isn't an insta-RM.]

Also why is Purify called Purify? Its defined as ridding the body of something, such as a poison or toxin. But I only see it giving. Wouldn't Restore work better?

Hazard Pay is money, yet the medic receives no money. Is there any reason to not tack on a +10% or 5% credit gain?

[Edit: When will the Heal Medic Badge be edited to reflect the loss of Medical Expertise? And with what? :0]
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The Chemical Expert will be inheriting Nano-Strength, in a sense. Chem's trees are intended to be mass DOT for the left and sort of a Mad Scientist sorta deal for the right, and the right tree will be getting a melee/turn speed concoction.

I'm glad. Malpractice was tricky business.

Purify in the sense that it restores the body to a pure state, aka heals damage and revitalizes the target. I may tack on ailment removal as well depending on testing.

To be totally honest, Hazard Pay is a working name right now. I'll change it when I think of something else.

When I work on medals again. Right now my focus is on getting the rest of the classes up to snuff before I move on to missions. Once I've got a considerable buffer of those, then I'll work on updating Medals.

This is just a ballpark concept so it's entirely subject to change, but I'm toying with the idea of the Lifesaver Medic Badge giving Medkits the ability to cure 1 or 2 randomly selected ailments on use.
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I'm a bit concerned about Heals' Drain rate, but concerned is all there is to that.

I'm guessing OW will be more common than Venom, judging by the location of the cures. However, what purpose would Detox's 20s Poison/Venom invulnerability serve? The duration seems too low for it to have any meaningful impact. It can hardly be sustainable.

If we cast Purify on a zombie, does it suddenly die?

If Purify ghost heals, what is the result? By that, I mean if someone's health reaches 0 at the same time the 2.5 seconds elapse and causes the 100% healing. I used to play This is Anime on SC1, and someone's healing occurring just when the unit dies causes it to briefly flash green on the wiremesh model when it dies (it still died at the end, making you curse the world).

Will Protect provide increased shield regeneration? Also, will it refill shields?

In regards to Push It's additional effect of returning: if the ball idles on an enemy, would that enemy be hit more than once? That is, the Ball's wait 1 second at maximum range before returning occurs on top of a unit, would that unit be hit more than once? How fast does the ball move for the First Movement and Return movement? Does it complete that action in a few seconds?

My last questions relate to Overdose: does it lock in the damage to be dealt at the time of casting, or will the damage amount dynamically change in response to the enemy's health changing over the duration of the skill? The former case will reduce the enemy's health to 90% (of the current value), while the latter case would only reduce it to 90.44%. I ask because your Ability Button description and Effect differ in that aspect.

How long does the 0.5% reduced AS & MS per 1% lost health last?
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Mostly correct.

In lower difficulties, I honestly can't see it being very useful. However, in higher ones, it will be very useful.

No.

If the unit dies before it's healed, the healing is lost.

No and no.

Yes, an enemy can be damaged multiple times by Push It.

It should complete the journey from Medic to Maximum Range in about a second, so a full cycle of Push It and Clean Hit will take 3 seconds.

I admit to employing a bit of "close enough"in the tooltips. The actual numerical difference between 10% Current Health and 1% Current Health for 10 seconds is rarely very large, but in retrospect that's examining the ability in question in a vacuum - outside damage sources (such as other players or, hell, just the MalMed themselves casting Push It or Crackdown) can make a significant difference in how much damage Overdose deals. I'll clarify the Description and Button tooltips to reflect the 1% per second damage.

Overdose's damage period, so 10 seconds.
  8. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

yay chem shenanigans!

Purify: To remove dirty or harmful substances from (something)

Restore: To return (something) to an earlier or original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

As provided by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
  9. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Purify: Hello Rehgar ult on steroids. Full energy restoration is pretty broken already and if you're going to tack on full ailment removal, I'd say take the energy regen off in exchange. Can you cast purify on yourself?
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Rev up that Random button, buddy. He's going to be one of the Secrets.

In light of Yuey's commentary, I'm sticking with Purify and tacking on ailment removal.

Yeah, in retrospect, full energy restoration can get a little silly a little too quickly. That said, yes! You can cast Purify on yourself.
  11. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Well casting Purify on yourself would be pretty funny when it gave 100% energy back before as I'd literally never cast it on anyone else. Being less efficient with energy when healing isn't a big deal if you basically get 90-100 energy (on an ideal case) back every 60 seconds without any drawbacks.

With the update, I might actually consider the bubble over Purify in some situations.
  12. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

I always wondered where ChemEx was. Is Shrink Ray still going to be a thing?

It won't irk my love for English as much. Thank you.
  13. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Hazard Pay to Hazard Bonus? I dunno.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Chem will be rubbing elbows with the Trickster, Tauren Ops, SEEKRIT AGENT, and the Player Character in Tier Secret. That said, I have not worked on Chem enough to know a whole lot about him, so unfortunately I can't say.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Changelog:
    • Heal has been rebalanced to remove OWs at Level 1, gain the ability to move while active at Level 2, and increased healing/OW removal at Level 3.
    • Weave's healing per second has been reduced to 5 from 6.
    • Detox's Level 2 Venom immunity has been increased to 60 seconds.
    • Malpractice has been overhauled. Tier 3 abilities have not changed, but all abilities have obtained new flavor text.
    • Push It has recieved several Quality of Life changes.
    • Crackdown is now a Forked Lightning/Chain Lightning attack that can focus-fire a single target for full damage at Level 3.
    • Clean Hit is now a single-target stun that can apply a damage vulnerability.
    • Hot & Heavy adds splash damage to Push It and Crackdown (similarly to the Psychic Echoes ability from the original Psi Ops draft).
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Some inputs.

#1 "If the Medic takes damage while Heal is active, Heal is canceled."
    Just to confirm, if the Medic is taking periodic damage from ailments, will that also cancel Heal?

#2 Hot & Heavy Level 2: Abilities mark targets. Damaging marked units causes 20 additional damage.
    This would strongly favour fast-attacking weapons like Sub-machine guns or Flamethrowers, making it more likely for Malpractice Medic to focus on those weapons. An alternative is a fixed % damage increase so that this talent is more weapon-neutral.

#3 Lifesaver Tree Tier 3 Talents
    Both only affect Biological units. What if certain allied Heroes are not Biological? It may limit the flexibility of the Lifesaver Medic in supporting those teammates. If the final game does have non-biological Heroes, will suggest re-looking the ability filters.

#4 Crackdown Level 3: If Crackdown is used on a single target, it deals 800 damage and doesn't bounce.
    This seems very strong for a Tier 1 talent, and it's almost like an OSOK. In addition, this talent comes with the flexibility of crowd control (chain damage). How does this currently compare to other similar DPS class Tier 1 talents?

#5 Overdose
    With it being single target and also having a 60 second cooldown, the ability seems appropriate mainly for bosses only. To make it more versatile, why not make this a 5-7 radius AOE spell? Then, it could have more use in the game when the team isn't fighting bosses.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

No, it's just getting hit. I'll clarify.

Kinda, but not in a way I'm worried about. See, the way that the mark works is that it's activated by any source of damage - it's very likely that it will be triggered by the splash damage from Level 1 due to NOTD 2's sheer amount of enemies. Yes, a rapid attacking weapon would be able to trigger the mark faster or switch between enemies with marks faster or what have you, but even then it's a one-and-done sorta deal. Once the mark is triggered, it's removed.

The only non-Biological character is the UAV. The UAV has multiple advantages in survivability - flight, self repair, even a cloaking device if the player is feeling cheeky. I'm not too worried about it, but if it becomes a problem, we can always re-evaluate later.

Well, the single-target version is rather brutal in its damage output, but it's not significantly out of line with any of the other characters' abilities. The closest analog in terms of damage per cast that I can think of is the Marksman's OSOK, but OSOK has many advantages that Crackdown doesn't, such as range and use rate. If it turns out to be too powerful, I'll happily knock it down to 600.

Many reasons.
    • Overdose being single-target encourages newbies to use it on important things rather than a very scary looking mob. The newbie viewpoint is important to consider because the Medic is a Tier 1 class.
    • Overdose scales whereas Deadline does not. While Deadline's damage is certainly nothing to sneeze at, I don't want to run into NOTD's problem where the characters with scaling damage are the only ones that are worth anything in the later difficulties.
    • Overdose becoming AOE would make it useful in all situations, a luxury that Deadline would not share. Deadline only activates when the target unit dies, which makes it much less useful in bossfights unless the boss in question is throwing minions everywhere.
    • The Malpractice Medic already has a very useful skillset for fighting mobs. Both Push It and Crackdown are very effective at fighting groups of enemies, even moreso with Hot & Heavy. Out of the entire tree, the only single-target skills are Clean Hit and Overdose, so I'm not worried about a lack of potential in handling non-bosses.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks Max. Good to go for me.