Mars

Discussion in 'Universe' started by Ability, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

NOTD's story eventually shifts focus to the colonies on Mars.
    - would they be built near the polar caps?
    - who runs/administers Mars (before and after uprising incident)
    - what are the strategic purposes of Mars

Discuss.
  2. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Strategic purposes wise, I think as a 'stepping' stone to further exploration into space; more of a hub type thing then a colony but obviously there'd have to be some kind of colony.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Would they be built near the polar caps:

Maybe. Entirely possible though that they are built near the equator, tapping into underground water resources and mineral deposits. There are logical points to be made for both options, though given a lack of other reasons the Polar Ice Caps seems the most logical. Easy access to water is still easy access to water and has been a basis for almost all human settlement throughout history. No reason to change such a basic behavior unless there is a HELL of a good reason for doing it.

Who Runs/Administers Mars (before and after uprising incident):

Beforehand I see it as being a political appointee with scientific credentials. Meaning some "pet scientist" who has the credentials to lead such an expedition and knowledge that would help him guide the development of the fledgling Mars Colony, and is also firmly in the pocket of whatever political faction/figurehead was in power when the project was finally implemented.

Afterwards it receives a temporary military governor. And by temporary we mean "temporary" like the occupation of Japan or the Confederate States, a span closer to a decade than to a month. Likely this would be an appointment by General Koller, some right hand wo/man that he trusts, and someone who isn't exactly shy about planting his/her boot up some asses as needed. Lots of inquisition and purges following the incident and it's not exactly a nice place to be under his/her rule.

What are the Strategic Purposes of Mars:

There needs to be a purpose beyond "A stepping stone into the greater solar system". The Moon is a perfectly viable launch vehicle for that after all. The obvious idea to me, would be that this is the grand experiment. Mars isn't being exploited necessarily for any minerals, but for the greater expansion of mankind. This means it's a testbed for Terraforming on the Grand Scale. Altering the atmosphere towards Earth Standard, warming the planet, developing plant and animal life. What Apollo does for AI and Energy Research, Mars does for Life and Earth Sciences, and is as much a test bed for experiments that wouldn't be safe to conduct on a fully populated planet like Earth, or a strategically important location that shouldn't be fucked with, like the Apollo Colony.
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay. As of current lore, in the year 2103 the population breakdown is:
    Earth: ~8 billion
    Moon: ~385,000
    Mars: ~18,000
    All Space Stations: ~1,500

At this stage of development, it would probably be a huge stretch for humanity to colonize other planets for at least the next 30 years. There's also no political/economic incentive to yet (at least not publicly). With that, most of the effort would probably go into making Mars and 2nd main habitat (which is a huge effort in itself).

Additional Reading
    http://www.universetoday.com/65642/is-m ... han-earth/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

[​IMG]

Earth Mars
    Diameter 12,742 km 6,792 km
    Surface Area 510,072,000 km2 144,798,500km2
    Volume 1.08321×1012km3 1.6318×1011km3
    Mass 5.9736×1024kg 6.4185×1023kg
    The diameter of Mars is about 53% of Earth’s and the surface area is close to 38% of Earth’s. When you put the numbers into a percentage, the surface area really seems small, but it is equal to all of the dry land on Earth. Scientists have found evidence of ancient liquid water on Mars. That means there were rivers and, possibly, oceans on the Red Planet. Imagine how small the available living space would have been then. Couple that with Mars having several of the tallest mountains and the deepest canyon in the Solar System and you realize exactly how little usable surface there really is on the planet.

Mars is the number one planet that scientists will mention when they are talking about terraforming. Transforming Mars would take centuries. Christopher McKay of NASA Ames Research Center believes that the key steps would be, first, releasing greenhouse gases to thicken the Martian atmosphere. This will help the planet retain heat from the Sun while filtering its radiation. The increased temperature would vaporize some of the carbon dioxide trapped in and on the planet’s surface. The CO2 will increase the greenhouse effect, warming the planet even more. The temperature could increase by as much as 70 degrees on the Celsius scale. The increased temperature will melt the subsurface water ice on Mars, creating rain, rivers, and lakes. The water vapor from this release would also increase the atmospheric pressure to a level equivalent to what is seen at high elevations here on Earth. After all of these steps, the air would still be 90% carbon dioxide or higher. This is when plant life would be introduced to convert some of that carbon dioxide into oxygen. While humans could occupy the planet as the plants are being introduced, it would be several centuries before they would be able to remove their oxygen masks.

The answer to ”is Mars bigger than Earth” is no. The planet may be minute compared to Earth, but it is seen as a world full of potential by scientists. It is the most studied planet other than Earth, so be sure to look around for more information on the Red Planet.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Not necessarily. Mars is a rough planet to colonize because aside from its polar ice caps, it lacks the natural resources to sustain life. However, if you were to use Mars as a waypoint to more viable locations such as

Callisto and Europa both have water, and Callisto actually has an atmosphere of oxygen. While you would have greater heat issues to concern yourself with, you would be in proximity to Jupiter whose atmosphere is 90% Hydrogen, and would be a nigh limitless supply of H3.

Ultimately, the goal would be Jupiter, and Galilean Satellites would be the mining colonies. Io would be the most dangerous, Europa would have the most accessible water, and Callisto would have the most viable atmosphere.
  6. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Doesn't Titan (Saturn's largest moon) have oceans of methane? I'd assume that would be also be a valuable fuel harvesting colony if we could ever exploit extraterrestrial colonisation.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Startin to sound like Cowboy Bebop in here...
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

That's what happens when you base shit on plausibility.
  9. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

xD Sorry, my astrophysics is weak. (Not to mention common sense at times)
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

You're correct about Titan, however it's living conditions are more akin to Venus than to Earth in that it's actually less suitable for life than the thin atmosphered Jovial satellites, specifically the Galilean four (Ganymede, Io, Callisto, Europa).
  11. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

Mars

I believe the human race has long forgotten oxygen. Whether it now or the future; human beings require oxygen to survive. The moon was fiction but mars isn't. The polar ice caps will be the foundation of the human settlers that made their long journey from the earth.

Polar ice caps will have several buildings utilizing it vast resources. The first will be the chemical plants taking in large amount of ice to break down into oxygen and hydrogen. The gases will be funnel across the colony in giant steel pipes. If the pipes break down, the human race that we will know will surely be in panic on mars. Second will be a water filtering systems aka water works. This system ensure running water to nearby settlements. Since the moon will be used for research, human kind need a new location to live which makes mars suitable for their needs. In order to survive people; humans; need water, which will be used for drinking or for keeping.body odor away for the ladies. Third will be harnessing these ice caps to produce weapons. Humans need weapons, so new weapons will be produce somewhere and the polar ice caps will be the ideal place to set up a weapon producing plant.

Who will run this ?

At first you will think UGC will take over mars but the news that easy company brings home will make this false. Soon rebellion will occur on mars due to the vast amount of anti UGC civilians living on mars. A new rebel group will control the very existance of mars itself whether polically, miltary, or domestically. Eventually the rebels will turn the popularized mars into another country just like how kings conquer lands on earth , different factions will control different territories on mars.

Strategic position of mars.

Human technology has surpass in the next few centuries, even a planet uninhabited by human can transform in another earth. Earthlings has yearn for a new planet since the begining of time. With ambitions and technology anything can be possible / achieve. The first step of human expansions will make if first step on mars. Then with the success and failures , further expansions can be ponder upon on other distants planets.
  12. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Or the UGC could try and melt the ice and then plant trees and flowers which will then create oxygen through metamorphasis
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Photosynthesis, not metamorphosis.

The issue with Mars isn't the composition of its atmosphere but the lack therof. Because atmospheric pressure is so low on mars, liquid water actually cannot exist. It will immediately sublimate.

Given the progression of technology, I doubt we will have the power to properly terraform mars by the time the Apollo Incident occurs. We'll still be crammed in biodomes.
  14. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Yea thanks I am sick ATM and I had science class last period so my brain hurts
  15. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

Lol, of course we will live in biodome. Piping all the water supplies will create lore for side missions. Human love biodomes, imagine have a football field as it living room.
  16. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Though, as interesting as this is, the question that keeps coming up to my mind is not How, but Why? Why Mars? Seems like fertile ground for me. I mean just going off things off the top of my head:

The Alien DNA used to create creatures like Charlie and Demeter.

Bikini Atoll? (A worthless piece of rock so far from anything that it's a good place to test very dangerous things)

Private enterprise done for less obvious reasons? (Hell, if I lived in that world and had the capability I'd JUMP at the chance to start such a thing. I've always had a pioneer spirit that needed an outlet.)
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

That reminds me, what kind of aliens are we talking? Are we going full on big head, black sclera, horns, and shit or are we gonna go the plausible route and go with extremophile bacteria and the like?
  18. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Bacteria / Archaea / Virus's are the most likely route to go with. Could always say Space Debris brings this stuff from the most unknown of places, or they were discovered on The Moon or Mars. Is it possible that there is Native Life on Mars Similar to Apollo / NOTD's Moon.
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Virus != Alive

Viruses do not meet the criteria to be classified as a living organism.

[hr]

I'll do some research on Martian soil composition and come up with a fictional bacteria for us to have found.
  20. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Little of Column A, little of Column B. I seem to recall it being suggested that Agrons and Nydus Worms (And Farcia mentions Native Moon Plants) were fully native life forms. So possible the moon has it's own ecosystem, with it's own bacteria, viruses, flora and fauna.

Though I'm thinking a Virus or something. I mean Charlie was a caterpillar originally. Some sort of genetic retrovirus that I recall was all the theoretical rage when they were cracking open the human genome? Such a virus or bateria surviving deep in the ice of Mars?