Marine Base HP Regeneration

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, May 11, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Are Marines regenerating HP a bit too quickly? In the classic NOTDs, Medkits were used more often as base regen rates were low. It also required a bit more micro from Medics. Many games atm have a bit more supply of medkits than is needed, at least in the veteran (non-NM) level.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's a major issue, but I personally find that it's relatively easier to walk small hits off (e.g. you're at 180/200 HP and you just base regen it base over 1-2 mins). Over the course of the game, that's a lot of HP though.
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

You could change the regen delay to be longer, so they dont begin healing the instant they are hurt.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Eh. I don't think you can just look at the HP regen in a vacuum. While the Regen may seem high, the damage hits do compared to the HP you actually have is a pretty steep difference. Also my, admitted very limited, experience playing other NOTDs says there are two major differences in playstyle that prevents you from really drawing the comparison. 1) The prevalence of Tanking, and 2) The fact that the game isn't an endless kite fest that punishes you if you dare hold still.

As a tanking class, you end up taking hundreds, if not thousands, of hits during games. Or at least can end up that way. As a non-tanking class you usually end up closer to 20 hits per game (Or so I find). Unless you have pretty much zero Regen, at such a low number, 20 hits spread out over an hour and a half... it's not going to make THAT much of a difference. It would be, interesting, if we put NOTD hardcore like the old school games of my youth. Only regeneration/healing being from items. But it's definitely still a far cry from some Medal of Honor game where if you don't get shot for 4 seconds you're in pristine condition.

A better situation to look at perhaps, is ailments. Other than... the Technician and the Flamethrower I believe, any class that has even a single stack of Venom or Open Wounds will be losing HP even with their Regen factored in. Yes, I know say an Assault with 9 Endurance and 2 NHAs can take 7 stacks of Venom or so. But we're talking base Regen here. This brings an interesting balance that has screwed me personally over before.

You take one troll hit. It inflicts a Wound. You don't have a medic, or your medic is a dick and won't hit you with the surgical laser (Either because he won't, or because he went Nanotech without getting it). You quickly check but no one has or will give you bandages or a kit. You end up scrambling around like mad running towards locations you know normally have kits/bandages knowing you're fighting the clock necessarily. The haste gets you in more trouble. You take another hit. You're in dire straights.

That's happened more than a couple of times to me. Sometimes I manage to save myself. Sometimes not. *shrug*

On the prevalence of Medkits, I find I tend to use most of them on the map over the course of an Alpha Company game. Usually you lack a field aid medic and what few points you do tank tends to hit fairly hard. Not unusual for lots of kits to get burned during Perses when he's working properly either. No way to control aggro, millions of attacks he can launch at once, etc. Easy Company having tanks with more aggro control tends not to use a lot. And Apollo Security is the middle ground. Rare that I have kits just laying around as I pull them in for Apoptosis, same with bandages. Though ones I find after that point it's hit or miss if people are actually going to use them.

To the point? I don't really see it as a problem. Even the highest HP regen of the Tech and the Flamethrower doesn't really prevent you from getting in trouble necessarily. And on non-tank classes it's just not as much of a concern because you are taking so few hits that unless the delay on the Regen is something like 5 minutes, and the rate near zero, it probably won't rightly matter. And even with regen where it is, a single condition (Or a two stack) can seriously screw you depending on the scenario.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Outside of the Tech's nanite aura which makes you immune to mass ailments (not that the tech needs it with cockpit), I don't find any classes' base HP regeneration too high.
    When you factor in enduranceat 9, the tankier classes can shrug off about 2 venom stacks. Any more and you lose HP. You lose HP to OW regardless.

When you then look at Nano HP, that allows you on top of base regen and endurance to shrug off a lot more, which is why I think the level it is at currently is fine and useful for tanks.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I would propose increasing the HP regen delay from its current by another 3 seconds. People who are continuously being hit shouldn't be regenning base HP imo. Thoughts?
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

It probably wouldn't change much given that if you are getting hit a lot you don't regen anyway, and it is extremely rare to take 1 hit every 4 seconds.

But it would make ailments more deadly if you got one from say 2 hits and the enemy dies.

I don't really mind either way, it likely won't be noticeable, though it is always good to start one step at a time and say 2 second delay and see how that pans out.
  7. SirGalahad

SirGalahad New Member

Increasing HP regen will severely weaken the Assault Tank though. Since he needs to get hit in order to tank effectively with his T3, any HP regen delay will force him to depend exclusively on kits and medics. This is a huge nerf to what is already the weakest tank.

Personally, I don't think HP regen needs to change at all. If you really want to change it, make the base rate lower and increase the bonus that Endurance grants. This will give players a choice, and make endurance more useful on non-tanks.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Christ almighty people stop making suggestions about stats you're doing my job for me )<

Anyways, I'd be for increasing the regen delay on everyone but the tanks. The tanks kind of need it.

Edit: If anything, we could actually buff the Assault in an interesting way by giving him zero delay on his regen. Considering he's a genetically engineered soldier built for being tough, I think it'd make sense.
  9. Seeky

Seeky New Member

Don't fix what isn't broken.. Players are punished for taking life damage through -rating anyway...
  10. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

Keep in mind that most squishy classes tend to rely on shields more than hp, which is one the major reason why they don't take medkits, they simply avoid getting hit altogether.
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Peera cant die with more than 10 total hits.