Map Locations

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Is this spot any use (where Marine is)?
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Not really used to the best of my knowledge. Then again there just isn't that much reason to be rolling up towards Dome B most of the time. No real advantages there so you only go on the way to Item Hunt or sealing Dome B/Moving to the Reactor.
  3. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

At the moment, no, but I was considering it for certain things, just not sure yet. Let me get back to you on that tomorrow.
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Erebos's "lair" is underutilized in general. It can't be accessed for most of Easy Co, and you never get close to it during domes because the enemies that it spawns fly. In Alpha that areas just "another place to loot" and serves no value, ever, outside of that. And lastly in Sec Team its the area where agrons spawn. But after you clear them out it serves no purpose aside from the post-athena domes mission.
  5. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

I never noticed it before, but i guess people will just check in case there is something to loot in this area, but i don't think its used most likely
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Pretty much. It'd be nice if there was a reason to go there. It doesn't even make for good defensive terrain because of the high amount of vision blocking and that it's a cliffwalker's paradise in there.
  7. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Well in the spot the marine is at in the picture, hes on the 2nd level, and that has 0 vision blocking up there. And also, no its not a cliffwalker paradise, the wall behind bordering alley is 2 levels high, can't be scaled at all, and the immediate area around that marine has a gap. There's only 2 places cliffwalkers can come up, the ramp to the right and the cliff to the bot left.

Just used that spot to hold out for EC NM Nydus worms, worked very well, better then fort, because all mobs (due to the locked gate in upper airlock) are forced to come from one direction only, turning it into a shooting gallery.

I'm somewhat tempted to use that spot for Athena, but the proximity to a spawning dome might make that a no go.
  8. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I found it to be a rather scenic view. It has a nice location, just nobody uses it, because, well, there is now an Established route for the most part, in Pubs, it is just pointless to really use.
  9. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

There is a spot like that? :blush:

That kind of answers it - it is not used.
  10. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

No it is not useful because it can be attacked from 2 sides. One being ramp, 2 being the south cliff.
    Besides, queen can scale canyons too iirc.

There's also the issue of the distances being quite narrow so infested rines can easily shoot you from below.

It also does not give you more utility for nuking nydi either.
  11. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Ok, now that I've had a chance to play around with that spot.

1) It is useful overall in EC Nydus, not because it adds any utility to nuking, but very few cliffwalkers attack in the overall mobs, so the vast majority of the mobs must pass right in front of you. It is also more or less immune to infested marines, staying in that sqaure area is outside infested range from alley (assuming something lets them see up at all), and the gap between that area and the level below provides a nice buffer against them as well. Also IIRC, agrons can only give sight up one level, so agrons below in alley are no threat to giving vision up. The ramp up is also very narrow, allowing tank to easily hold mobs.

2) Its an excellent hold out spot for starting apollo, from there you can easily intercept deimos no matter where he spawns or where hes headed.
  12. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Agree with all his points and vouch for his observations.

Do note though that I also noticed in that game where we tested that area, Slashers are sometimes able to walk through the building in the vicinity and climb from the middle. It's a "deceptive" wall